VOGONS

Windows 95 ,98 and ME systems...

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

700Mhz is fine for Win98, anything wanting a faster CPU is probably happy on XP.
I know its not an ideal PC but I'd still install Win98 and see how it performs as is, you may find you don't rally need anything better anyway

Reply 22 of 24, by starbond6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now that I've had a chance to go through all three systems in depth and really dig into the specs here's what i'll probably do:

• PC1 - Now has DOS 6.22 and Win 3.1 on it with 32mb ram. ISA SB card and PCI graphics, with a pentium 100mhz and cd rom drive and 5.25" 1.2mb floppy, on a 2GB CF card. Intel PCI/Premier II mobo with 430NX chipset
    Will Likely leave it how it is, can run all of my DOS and games and some pre-95 games okay. Sill trying to optmize config.sys and autoexec.bat to perfection.
  • PC2 - Now has Windows 98SE on it with 128mb ram. PCI Yamaha XG YMF724 soundcard and onboard AGP 2mb ATI RAGE PRO graphics, PII 333mhz slot 1 and 20GB ide drive. MU440EX Motherboard with 440EX chipset
    If I sell PC3, I can use the money to look for an upgraded motherboard with AGP, maybe something with PIII support, or something to get my cpu around 500mhz and up, to fill that gap from PC3
  • PC3 - Now has Windows ME on it with 256MB Ram, ESS Maestro 1989 audio, intel integrated graphics, Pentium III 700mhz socket 370. i810E chipset on a Mitac 6513WU OEM board
    Will likely sell this one as only the higher cpu speed is a plus for me as its double of the 98 Machine. This machine cannot run DOS games but can do early 3D games well (Driver, Sims 1, need for speed etc) without low frame rates.

Now all that being said, It's time to hunt for an decent 2000 era motherboard. Ideally one with SB-LINK so I dont have to buy a separate ISA card.just for dos playback. Otherwise I will have to borrow the VIBRA16 card from the dos machine. (can you have mutiple sound cards installed at once on the same os?) That also means I'll have to look for a CPU and AGP graphics as well, something more than 333mhz, to consolidate the gap from the ME machine. I'll read back through all the earlier posts for ideas, but does anyone have their favorite go-to p3 motherboards? i'm also noticing too quite a few threads about that so I have a lot to read

Reply 23 of 24, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most motherboards with sb-link are intel 440BX chipset P2/III ones. There's a thread for them:
List of motherboards with SB-link (PC/PCI) header
There's also a list for S370 mobos:
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_ … 70_motherboards
But, you already have that time covered with the PIII. The 1 GHz chip is from 2000. Most later boards without ISA slot also lacked the SB-link, so when you need it, it's usually not there.
The PIII should pretty much take care of DOS.

To have some distance to the PIII, maybe get a later Athlon board that still has an ISA slot. Using a second soundcard is possible, you just need to manage the I/O resources without conflicts.
But, still mostly the same time frame. I'd say a next step is a board with DDR memory? No ISAs left, afaik.

I like jumpers.

Reply 24 of 24, by starbond6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-05-10, 20:59:
Most motherboards with sb-link are intel 440BX chipset P2/III ones. There's a thread for them: List of motherboards with SB-link […]
Show full quote

Most motherboards with sb-link are intel 440BX chipset P2/III ones. There's a thread for them:
List of motherboards with SB-link (PC/PCI) header
There's also a list for S370 mobos:
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_ … 70_motherboards
But, you already have that time covered with the PIII. The 1 GHz chip is from 2000. Most later boards without ISA slot also lacked the SB-link, so when you need it, it's usually not there.
The PIII should pretty much take care of DOS.

To have some distance to the PIII, maybe get a later Athlon board that still has an ISA slot. Using a second soundcard is possible, you just need to manage the I/O resources without conflicts.
But, still mostly the same time frame. I'd say a next step is a board with DDR memory? No ISAs left, afaik.

The issue is that its not a 1ghz cpu in there, but only 700mhz. The original one was replaced or swapped out long ago 🙁 This current PIII motherboard cant do DOS audio, nor does does it have AGP, and it has a lackluster chipset. If it is possible to merge the Win 98 and Win ME machine into some middle ground I'd like to do that, but If I keep all three then I wouldnt be buying any more parts and just leaving it the way it is. I dont know where some of the people on here are finding full towers for cheap, I look on my local craigslist and all i see are 90's oem compaqs going for $150+ 😜