VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We loyal Duke Nukem fans have had to put up with a lot of disappointments, not just with Duke Nukem Forever, when it was *finally* released, being a game that couldn't even reach the dizzy heights of mediocrity, but also with the Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour adding so little of any value to the twenty year old classic. There was never a sequel to the fantastic N64-only Duke Nuke: Zero Hour, and we never got the fantastic looking fan-authored remaster of Duke Nukem 3D, Duke Nukem 3D:Reloaded (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v78cee1rI8). This remaster originally received official permission to continue, but that permission was later withdrawn (which did NOT please Duke Nukem fans, to put it mildly) and the project seems to have been abandoned as a result. I don't think any official reason was ever given for the retraction of permission to work on the mod, but the common belief is that Gearbox were worried that the mod would make their upcoming Duke Nukem Forever look bad.

This is the same Gearbox who later released the appallingly bad Aliens: Colonial Marines, a game so bugged and different from it's early preview videos, that some fans actually tried to sue Gearbox. The same Gearbox who allegedly used money that was given to them by Sega to finance work on Aliens: Colonial Marines, but who instead, it's claimed, spent that money on their own (Gearbox's) Borderlands 2 game, thereby explaining partly or mostly why A:CM turned out so bad (markedly worse even than Duke Nukem Forever). The same Gearbox that is run by Randy Pitchford, who, in an industry where most of the big names aren't known to the public, is disliked enough for people to remember him and post negatively whenever he's mentioned.

But there might be something good and Duke Nukem related on the horizon now; as anyone who followed Duke Nukem Forever's troubled development will remember, it went through several redesigns and earlier videos from 2001 and 2002 showed a much more interesting and varied game. Sadly, most of what looked so good was either lost or reduced to almost nothing in the final game, but now one of the 3D Realms ex-bosses, Frederik Schreiber, has said that he has a 90% complete version of the game from late 2002, and that he'd be prepared not only to release it for free, but to fix any problems with the game free of charge. But there might be an obstacle or two in the way. Have a look at the thread I link to at the bottom of this post, or it you can't be bothered, then here are some excerpts from it, in white:

">-This is the famous "2001" version.
-This was 90% completed. Id say 14-16 hours of gameplay.
-It was way darker and more serious than the final product. It also played partly as an RPG in terms of your goals.
-You basically had Mission Objectives on your HUD you could activate - Like quests. You also had an inventory with ID badges, keycards, etc. Things you would use in the world. Think Deus Ex Duke.

-You meet and save NPCs. Solve puzzles, and try and solve the mystery of what's going on.
-Then you meet the infected EDF who's attacking you. And the story evolves from there.
-But all very dark, cinematic. Lights going out, flickering in the distance. Moster closets etc. all with cinematic music to fit. Screams in the distance etc.

-VERY serious and dark.
-Nothing campy or slapstick at all. It feels like a horror game
-It's always raining, lighting strikes in the distance, rumbling thunder
-The bike is probably the most impressive. !z2_l1 you get the bike and the game turns half open world
Hub style
-So you can drive out of vegas, and you get a loading screen. Different parts of vegas also has loading screens in between. But you get these missions from NPCs and then solve them (a bit like deus ex)

-Oh.. there's also a subway in vegas you can take to visit different districts in the city.
-It's super fun in multiplayer. 12 maps are pretty much done.
-Specific for Dukematch.

-25 ish levels.
-!z1_l1 to !z5_l7

Other bits of information:

- the 2001 version had a Dance Dance Revolution minigame with a stripper in the game room of the Slick Willy (Strip Club)
- "One of the first levels in the game, when you visit your own office. You see the hands on the keyboard, and can write an email from your own computer in-game. The game crashes as soon as you press "Send" as it tries to connect to an old POP3 server which doesn't exist anymore"
- Every weapon had an alt-fire mode (RPG/Nuke, Shotgun/Slug/Acid)
- Comparisons are made to Half-Life and Deus Ex, you can activate secondary objectives by talking to people in the world and areas are large and open
- the game is much more serious than the final release as evident in the 2001 trailer, there's still humor but it isn't trying to be a comedy game

The biggest issue in drawing attention to this is probably what's associated with Duke Nukem and Duke Nukem Forever and the wide belief that nothing existed of the 2001 version of the game except staged scenes. The franchise has turned in to this weird parody style attempt at comedy under Gearbox. Funny enough the "outdated" jokes and references in the final game were written somewhere between late 2009 and early 2010 by amateur writers with no experience working for free after 3D Realms had released their staff due to a lack of funding. George Broussard (Duke Nukem director/3D Realms co-founder) had no involvement in the game for over a year before it's release and has expressed his dislike for how the character has been portrayed, the games advertised, and the huge focus on what were smaller parts of Duke Nukem 3D (strippers and comedy) under Gearbox. https://i.imgur.com/ss8d5Gq.png

In the fan communities people generally refer to Gearbox Softwares Duke Nukem as "Douche Nukem" and dislike the shift from an 80s/90s action homage under 3D Realms to what now draws comparisons to Family Guy.

"

Source:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?thre … 0more%20details

I really hope that this will one day (soon!) be released. Yes, it might well never be released. And even if it is, then the "90% done" estimate might prove to be closer to 30% done. Or if it is really 90% done, then it might turn that the missing 10% is the code and data that actually makes the whole thing work, and even if everything does work, the game might still turn out to be rubbish. And Duke Nukem as an RPG/first person shooter with a darker plot and unsettling events might turn out to be very bad in themselves (it's not what we were expecting, given DN3D's satirical science-fiction action-hero setting complete with humour and parodies of popular culture).

But maybe we will get it, maybe it will be made fully playable by Frederik Schreiber (possibly assisted by DN fans and modders), and maybe, just maybe, it will turn out to be the Duke Nukem Forever that we always wanted to have.

Reply 1 of 53, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't hold your breath. A lot of the 2001 footage was confirmed as choreography anyway

(And if frederik gets involved in production it's the touch of death. his games are bad)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 53, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would LOVE to play this version, on period-correct hardware of course. Please let this be true, I've always wanted to try out the original duke nukem forever (or at least one of).

Thinkpad T42 Win9x Drivers | Latitude D600 Win9x Drivers
Next: Dell Inspiron 8000

Reply 4 of 53, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been meaning to try the fan-made mod Duke Nukem Forever 2013, for Duke Nukem 3D, for a long time, as by all accounts it's really good, and does a good job of building upon what was promised and shown in the early (good!) videos and screenshots.

SPEEDO.jpg

It's available from:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/duke-nukem-forever

Reply 5 of 53, by gedbag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

4 years later we may be a step closer to this finally getting out there. A person going by the name of "x0r" is supposedly in possession of a build, has posted new footage and plans on leaking it in June.

https://duke4.net/duke-nukem-forever-2001-con … ent-4chan-leak/

Almost every chapter is present in some form. A huge chunk is playable, a huge chunk is block-outs with no enemies. All of the E […]
Show full quote

Almost every chapter is present in some form. A huge chunk is playable, a huge chunk is block-outs with no enemies. All of the E3 content is there.
Not just the editor, we will be releasing the full source code too.
All weapons are functional with the exception of the chainsaw and the freezer.
Do you have any date on when you are gonna leak it then? June.
The editor works. We also have the engine and UnrealScript source code and have written instructions for compiling it.
Two builds, but only the content for one.
It is Unreal Engine 1, like the final game.
There is no complete game. It was never finished.
The E3 2001 iteration but not the E3 2001 build.
The shrink ray is in the game, it’s the first weapon in slot 4.
The theme is just the Megadeth version. It starts playing as soon as you boot the game.
Bombshell is not visually present in the game at this point, there is a log file showing that her model was deleted.
The strippers can be seen and interacted with when you first enter the club. By the point in the game that was recorded, most of them are dead.

I feel like I've heard this a bunch of times before so let's wait and see, but it would be a nice end to the whole DNF saga to finally have that build out there.

Reply 6 of 53, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the posting about this. Like you (and no doubt 99% of the people who still care about this), I'm not too hopeful about the eventual result. Firstly, people who do intend to release something 'grey' (as in not legally 100% allowed to be leaked, since this will no doubt still be copyrighted to 3D Realms or Valve) mostly just release it, whereas people who promise a release in a near future tend to be either lying, or they drop the idea when the copyright owner's lawyers send a Cease and Desist letter.

And even if we get it, we don't know how broken or incomplete it might be.

Still, it *might* all turn out to be great, and who knows, if there is enough interest in it, then maybe Valve will think about releasing a new Duke Nukem game.

Edit: Gedbag, if this does get released and you see it, could you please post in this thread again. For me and anyone who don't visit 4 Chan. Thanks.

Reply 7 of 53, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The game looks much newer than 2001. It seems ahead of it's time, such was the textures, from the footage, more as if it was a tech demo.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 8 of 53, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Photosourcing was in at the time, as was licensing stock footage visual effect libraries (DNF2001 used a lot of ArtBeats ReelExplosions, Duke3D used Pyromania). It doesn't look too different than the earlier 1999 screenshots.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 53, by gedbag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kerr Avon wrote on 2022-05-09, 13:12:
Thanks for the posting about this. Like you (and no doubt 99% of the people who still care about this), I'm not too hopeful abou […]
Show full quote

Thanks for the posting about this. Like you (and no doubt 99% of the people who still care about this), I'm not too hopeful about the eventual result. Firstly, people who do intend to release something 'grey' (as in not legally 100% allowed to be leaked, since this will no doubt still be copyrighted to 3D Realms or Valve) mostly just release it, whereas people who promise a release in a near future tend to be either lying, or they drop the idea when the copyright owner's lawyers send a Cease and Desist letter.

And even if we get it, we don't know how broken or incomplete it might be.

Still, it *might* all turn out to be great, and who knows, if there is enough interest in it, then maybe Valve will think about releasing a new Duke Nukem game.

Edit: Gedbag, if this does get released and you see it, could you please post in this thread again. For me and anyone who don't visit 4 Chan. Thanks.

Seems like christmas came early and the build has already been leaked. I would tread lightly and check any download for malware. Linking it directly probably is against ToS on this board but if you search for it you will probably find what you want. 😉
/link removed

Reply 12 of 53, by gedbag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried it out yesterday and it's really impressive what they had back then. This was absolutely the version they needed to finish up instead of redoing everything because the tech may have been slightly outdated. Movement and gunplay feels great and there is ton of interactivity. They had Doom 3 type in-world HUD elements in 2001! I think this puts to rest the claim that the 2001 build just consisted of a bunch of scripted stuff for E3. Those elements are in there as well but fully formed in a way that could definitely have been integrated into a full game.

Would be awesome to see if modders could transform this into a more complete experience.

Reply 13 of 53, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interactive in-game terminals go back to at least Duke Nukem 3D and are seen in other build-engine games too. I can't remember if any older games have them. Sin (1998) does have them all over.

I played a little on both my modern machine and on a XP machine with Radeon X1900. Their D3D8 renderer sure is glitchy. I think it's pretty easy to understand why Gearbox didn't try to make a final product out of it. This isn't even close to being a beta. It is fascinating to run around in though!

Reply 15 of 53, by tgod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
swaaye wrote on 2022-05-11, 18:33:

Interactive in-game terminals go back to at least Duke Nukem 3D and are seen in other build-engine games too. I can't remember if any older games have them. Sin (1998) does have them all over.

I played a little on both my modern machine and on a XP machine with Radeon X1900. Their D3D8 renderer sure is glitchy. I think it's pretty easy to understand why Gearbox didn't try to make a final product out of it. This isn't even close to being a beta. It is fascinating to run around in though!

Interesting resultts swaaye, my geforce 4 mx win98 system had no problems with the game, zero graphics errors without having to use wrappers like on modern systems.

Reply 17 of 53, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tgod wrote on 2022-05-12, 12:39:

Interesting resultts swaaye, my geforce 4 mx win98 system had no problems with the game, zero graphics errors without having to use wrappers like on modern systems.

Did your download include a few different wrappers? I had to delete their D3D8.dll to even run it on XP. But I see a lot of texture corruption with what I think is the stock game renderer direct to Windows D3D8. The boot "weapon" model in particular corrupts across the screen when it is equipped. It was doing this on my modern desktop as well.

Of course it's possible a X1900 on Catalyst 7.11 is still too new.

Actually GF4MX is D3D7. Maybe that works better than having D3D8 support.

Reply 18 of 53, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2022-05-11, 22:01:

Any YT clips of latest build?

NeoGamer has made a 38min video.
https://youtu.be/r5XCdUi6-LE

So far, my current PC build still seems to be too new. A lot of glitches with a 9600XT. It works on Windows 10 with a 1060 but only on the wined3d wrapper which is slooooow.

Need to put in my GeForce 4MX 460 I guess.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 19 of 53, by Soulreaper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

God I hope it gets leaked I am playing day one. I remember watching that trailer over and over again I think I had it on a pc gamer disc or maybe a max payne game had the trailer on the disc. But damn that game looked so good. I can say that was the only game that had me so hype that I frequently checked up on it the only other game I can think of that had me like that was Black Mesa. That day in 2012 when it finally came out boy.

98se/Biostar M7VIG Pro/AMD Athlon XP 2400+ @ 2.0 GHz/512 MB @ 166/ATI Radeon 9800 Pro/3DFX Voodoo 3 2000/CreativeSBLive!
XP Pro/Asus P5N-D/Intel Qx9650 Quad Core@4.0GHz/4GB DDR2 800/nVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ SLI/Creative Audigy 2 ZS
sc-55 mkii