VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 21 of 42, by alienmannequin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently installed Carmageddon 2: Carpocalypse Now on '98. It stated that QT was required "for optimal performance" or similar, and to install it. Chose not to install, game seemed to run just fine. What's missing?

Reply 22 of 42, by HandOfFate

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe it's needed for the intro movie. Did you see it?

Am486 DX4 120MHz, no L2, 16MB, Tseng ET4000/W32 1MB VLB, ESS ES1869 /// 5x86 133MHz, 256kb L2, 64MB, S3 Virge/DX 4MB PCI, SB16 + Yucatan FX, PicoGUS /// Pentium III 1GHz, 512MB, Asus V7700 64MB AGP, SB Live!

Reply 23 of 42, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
skitters wrote on 2020-06-08, 19:03:

Here's my list. It's not complete.

Connections

Came here to say Connections but you beat me to it (by some months, even). Loved the TV show. I still need to finish that game.

Reply 24 of 42, by alienmannequin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HandOfFate wrote on 2020-08-12, 09:23:

Maybe it's needed for the intro movie. Did you see it?

Good question - can't remember now. I'll load it up again soon and check, but that would make sense.

Interesting how it was semi-negotiable, in that you could play the game without installing a major component. Imagine that happening these days...

Reply 25 of 42, by utahraptor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On the topic of the original Myst, there was a making of video on the CD that was very interesting and gives some insight into just how small a crew they were and how they were able to do great things without a lot of resources. There is a copy on YouTube: https://youtu.be/CGN2W7o1N2s

Reply 26 of 42, by HandOfFate

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That was an interesting watch, thanks for sharing 😀

I would never have guessed that the game was using 8-bit paletted images. I should try playing it again, and see if I can actually solve a single puzzle this time around 😜

Am486 DX4 120MHz, no L2, 16MB, Tseng ET4000/W32 1MB VLB, ESS ES1869 /// 5x86 133MHz, 256kb L2, 64MB, S3 Virge/DX 4MB PCI, SB16 + Yucatan FX, PicoGUS /// Pentium III 1GHz, 512MB, Asus V7700 64MB AGP, SB Live!

Reply 27 of 42, by 1ST1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can add two more:

Under Windows 3.11 (not compatible to Windows 95 and newer):

- XPLORA1: Peter Gabriel's Secret World

Under Windows 95 (not compatible to Windows 3.11 and earlyer)

- Peter Gabriel's EVE

So a big big big Peter Gabriel fan (like me) needs Windows 3.11 and 95. I have both games here in original boxes.

Reply 28 of 42, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Nikolai education games require QuickTime for their Windows versions. That includes the following:

Nikolai's Trains
Toys
Knights
Pharaohs
Mysteries
Pirates
Treats
In Outer Space

Thinkpad T42 Win9x Drivers | Latitude D600 Win9x Drivers
Next: Dell Inspiron 8000

Reply 29 of 42, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
IMG_20220328_134753.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220328_134753.jpg
File size
946.92 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

As you can see, a QuickTime logo is clearly visible on the CD-ROM. IMHO it was used only for the opening animation, though.

Reply 31 of 42, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Rawwwrrrr.. 😁

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 35 of 42, by CDrayan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Blaster games that had FMV cutscenes (Mega Math Blaster, Math Blaster Ages 9-12, etc.) always used QuickTime for their Mac versions. The Windows versions used Video for Windows instead at first, using the same AVI files for both platforms. The 1999 "For 3rd Grade" release of Mega Math Blaster not only fixed the Y2K bug, but also moved to QuickTime 3 for the Windows version. Post-2000 releases of Ages 9-12 moved to QuickTime 5.

If a game uses QuickTime 2.1, newer QuickTime versions will not work with it. However, games that use QuickTime 3 or higher will happily run with newer versions. This is as far as Windows is concerned; I didn't find any such issue with Mac OS 9.

Reply 36 of 42, by Retrograde_i486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to bump an old thread but I Just installed the 2004 release of Bad Mojo and it came with Quicktime 6.5. May try installing a newer version as I'm not getting any sound on the videos in game or out but they do play.

Reply 37 of 42, by Vic Zarratt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm certain that Gadget (1993) used QuickTime for both win16/mac editions.
Alice: interactive museum may of been another early adopter of Cinepak/QuickTime.
Horror Tour (1997) most likely used it.
-
One game that definitely does NOT use QuickTime is Burn:Cycle.
Anyone confirm if the windows version of D used QuickTime? The Rozner Labs Dos port used Duck TruMotion but I've heard the windows one is different to some description.

I manage a pot-pourri of video matter...

Reply 38 of 42, by MadMac_5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Windows 3.1 CD-ROM version of Jeopardy used Quicktime 2.x for video, and the game has a LOT of it. I remember being fascinated when I browsed the CD and found all of the .mov files, and could view the various reactions and bits of banter. For some reason one of the contestants saying that he "spends a lot of time in community theatre; we just finished a run of 'Twelfth Night.'"

Reply 39 of 42, by rarcher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HandOfFate wrote on 2020-08-05, 12:49:

I think Maabus also required it.

I don't know why I remember that game, at all, but the name conjures up images of Quicktime to me and Mobygames backs my memory: "Maabus uses three CD's worth of Quick-Time Video clips to generate scene transitions as you pilot an automated tank across the mysterious island. "

Ok so I randomly came across this thread. YOU REMINDED ME OF THIS GAME I lost it from my childhood and could NEVER remember its name right jesus christ man thank you!!!