Common searches

I miss the 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 202, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like english language and I usually watch english movies mostly only with the original audio but I suppose not all the users speak and write it as first language, so grammar errors or wrong words I suppose should be considered compared to the whole effort of dealing with two or more languages imho. 😉

Reply 81 of 202, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It was really cool back in the 90s how you swapped games on discs at school, went home loaded the games and had to wait for the next day to share experiences, high scores etc
Also bbs were really cool, sitting there watching your 2mb file take 10 minutes to download with the build-up of anticipation.

I think there is just a little too much instant gratification now and distraction. If you went somewhere and met your friends you would call on the landline make a time and place then meet. Give 100% attention to what your were doing not be there 50% in person and 50% on your phone

Reply 82 of 202, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
treeman wrote on 2022-05-15, 12:34:

It was really cool back in the 90s how you swapped games on discs at school, went home loaded the games and had to wait for the next day to share experiences, high scores etc
Also bbs were really cool, sitting there watching your 2mb file take 10 minutes to download with the build-up of anticipation.

I think there is just a little too much instant gratification now and distraction. If you went somewhere and met your friends you would call on the landline make a time and place then meet. Give 100% attention to what your were doing not be there 50% in person and 50% on your phone

This is NOT Star Trek where you can have the computer create anything for you instantly out of thin air.
“Materials” There are NOT enough “Materials” in the world to create anything instantly.
And the computers currently are NOT capable of it.

Young People today want everything Instantly for FREE but someone has to do the work.
People need to SLOW DOWN and take it SLOW.

There is NOT enough “Materials” and “Human Work Force” to create everything People want instantly.

People want the World to run at the “SPEED of LIGHT”

“Instantly”

The Human Body can not work that fast.

People need to SLOW DOWN.

Reply 83 of 202, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
treeman wrote on 2022-05-15, 12:34:

This is NOT Star Trek where you can have the computer create anything for you instantly out of thin air.
“Materials” There are NOT enough “Materials” in the world to create anything instantly.
And the computers currently are NOT capable of it.

Young People today want everything Instantly for FREE but someone has to do the work.
People need to SLOW DOWN and take it SLOW.

There is NOT enough “Materials” and “Human Work Force” to create everything People want instantly.

People want the World to run at the “SPEED of LIGHT”

“Instantly”

The Human Body can not work that fast.

People need to SLOW DOWN.

Reply 85 of 202, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You really wanted to live in the world of TNG? I guess the Romulans were pretty cool, but everyone in the Federation seemed to have a bug up their ass. Maybe they were just all grumpy from having to wear tight fitting spandex uniforms every day (and probably girdles to hide their beer bellies).

troiuniform.jpg

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 86 of 202, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2022-05-15, 14:04:
You really wanted to live in the world of TNG? I guess the Romulans were pretty cool, but everyone in the Federation seemed to h […]
Show full quote

You really wanted to live in the world of TNG? I guess the Romulans were pretty cool, but everyone in the Federation seemed to have a bug up their ass. Maybe they were just all grumpy from having to wear tight fitting spandex uniforms every day (and probably girdles to hide their beer bellies).

troiuniform.jpg

9/10 They missed Worf.

Reply 87 of 202, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Born in 1982, missing the late 80's and the entire 90's. Those were the days.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 88 of 202, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-05-15, 08:16:
darry wrote on 2022-05-15, 05:57:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-15, 02:55:

English is my first language and I still failed that shite, I can spell just fine thanks to autocorrect but punctuation ...they dont actually expect me to remember all of the rules right.

English is such a fucked up language with how many rules it has.

Being Australian likely has a lot to do with me hating all the rules and using shorthand for 90% of my spoken words.

I need to add visiting Australia to my bucket list. You gave to world Mad Max, Dame Edna, smokos, Men at work, Crocodile Dundee, Young Einstein, Brain Dead, wonderfully colourful language, too many great actresses and and actors to name, etc.

Except for the giant spiders, extreme heat, and various other critters and bugs, do you nice folks have anything uncool worth complaining about ? 😉

Brain Dead's a Peter Jackson movie, innit? That would probably make it not Australian.

Oups, you are right.

My apologies to both New Zealand and Australia .

Reply 91 of 202, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Charlie is a bit of a wanker, but I did like him in being John malkovich. Now his brother emilio, that is a fine actor.

Reply 92 of 202, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote on 2022-05-15, 19:10:

That picture is doctored. It's someone mocking Deanna Troi's famous cleavage by giving it to all the characters.

Yes . .but they missed doing it to Worf ...do Klingons not deserve epic cleavage ?

Reply 93 of 202, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Real answer: socketable and 5V tolerant programmable logic! Many product lines from the '90s are long since dead and gone: FLASHlogic, FLEX, AMD MACH, Cypress 37000, etc.

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 94 of 202, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, they got Worf. It's just less obvious because his sash and Crusher's head is in the way.

Reply 95 of 202, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It’s cold outside, there’s no kind of atmosphere
I’m all alone - more or less
Let me fly far away from here
Fun, fun, fun, in the sun, sun, sun

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 96 of 202, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-05-16, 16:08:
It’s cold outside, there’s no kind of atmosphere I’m all alone - more or less Let me fly far away from here Fun, fun, fun, in t […]
Show full quote

I might need something stronger than fresh mango juice.

Reply 97 of 202, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-05-16, 16:08:
It’s cold outside, there’s no kind of atmosphere I’m all alone - more or less Let me fly far away from here Fun, fun, fun, in t […]
Show full quote

Nothing wrong with dog's milk. Full of goodness, full of vitamins, full of marrowbone jelly. Lasts longer than any other type of […]
Show full quote

Nothing wrong with dog's milk. Full of goodness, full of vitamins, full of marrowbone jelly. Lasts longer than any other type of milk, dog's milk.

Lister:
Why?

Holly:
No bugger'll drink it. Plus, of course, the advantage of dog's milk is that when it goes off, it tastes exactly the same as when it's fresh.

Reply 98 of 202, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The first decade I experienced first hand is the 90s and even then I only experienced the parts accessible to a child.

Retrospectively I miss the entertainment media of those decades. Especially in the last 10-15 years I feel like all of it went to shit.

Also not having social media (as today) is a huuuge plus. As well as the internet not being so corporate and centralized.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 99 of 202, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are things I miss or liked about all three, and things I don't.

For technology I honestly prefer that period of 1977-1995. In part because that's what I grew up with, in part because I wanted to be cutting edge at those times, even though just a kid. Computers were mysterious, interesting, technological ambassadors of the future that were clearing, to quote Journey "New Frontiers" for everything else. Video Games were just entertainment and you did not have so much worrying about convoluted spaghetti cases of lore or having to use practical military-level tactics to play well. Also, the poor graphics, goofey sound, and strangeness of some of the earlier stuff was not just a marvel in it's time, but became comedy gold later on. Something also seems more "personal" about surfing a BBS than surfing the internet these days. And the early internet of 1995 was awesome, it was full of passionate people into things they enjoy, rather than companies and wannabe celebrities trying to make a fast buck.

Entertainment is about the same period for me. I like New Wave, Post Punk, Pop Metal, Thrash Metal, Power Metal, and Grunge the most. If it's guitar driven, has otherworldly synths, and attitude, it's right in my wheelhouse. I actually like 70's for most movies and some of the 80's, because that whole Car-movie genre is my favorite...you had everything from the stuff for kids (The Love Bug) all the way up to campy racy humor like the Cannonball Run series. And it seemed back then, you did not get too hung up on Celebrity past your teen years, but today, good god, I'm embarrassed that I'm a part of a generation who are almost 40 years old and still gathering around random celebrities like they're reading a a copy of Rolling Stone or Creem magazine and they're 14 years old. Honestly, they are just people, and often pretty crappy people at that.

I also liked cars better, my preference being mostly 1979-1996 for most stuff. The DeLoreans, Camaros, Corvettes, F-series pickups, Squarebody GMs, S10s, Jeeps, Rangers, Broncos, Explorers, Bronco IIs, and Fox Body Mustangs of the period are among my favorites of that era. I even kind of liked how wacky those early Honda cars were like the 82' Prelude or the 79 Civic, they just had a vibe all their own. AE86 Toyota Corolla anyone? Heck, Giugaro, the guy who designed the DeLorean's body shape, also did the Mark 1 Golf/Rabbit for VW and the Lotus Esprit of that era (think Living Daylights era James Bond). And almost all of these could be easily repaired with a handful of specialty tools and mostly hand tools in your own garage, rather than needing computer crap to pull codes and play politician with the stealership, various sensors and computers inside.

And going to brick and mortar stores for things with salesmen with more stringent requirements to their jobs. Being able to walk into a guitar shop and touch the guitars I want to buy and try them out, or test drive that new computer, or see that hardware in it's original packaging with the 300 page wiire-bound manual that I can read (I know I'm weird, I read owner's manuals for my leisure). Being able to go to the record store and see the artwork on a good band's album cover rather than have some generic file on my hard drive getting lost in the terabytes of other crap I have.

The only thing's I'd miss going back, having the internet in my pocket, wireless everything, being able to call without needing a dime, paying bills on the internet rather than a drive-up dropbox, and even then, not having people able to reach me all the time, sharing my interest with people because they hear music on the street or see me walking into a Computerland store would actually make me WANT to be social again, and having an excuse to read some actual paper might actually make me not miss it so much.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/