VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have one SX807 that is "SL" version but not WB, instead SX955 is "SL" and also WB. So it is the one to have?

Reply 3 of 12, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think that's true. Intel made 3.3V DX/2s as well. They shared silicon with the DX/4, even retaining the 2X/3X multiplier selection.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 12, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlessandroB wrote on 2022-05-15, 10:26:

I have one SX807 that is "SL" version but not WB, instead SX955 is "SL" and also WB. So it is the one to have?

Hi AlessandroB,

Just a side note, but I had a recent interesting experience with those two DX2-66 variants. I upgraded a small 486 system board with the SX807 and all worked normally, I then tested out a SX955 variant on the same board and de-turbo mode would hard freeze the system. After a CMOS reset I stuck the SX807 back in and the turbo toggle worked normally again. Now, this might just be a faulty SX955, but if anyone reading this has a setup where they can test this I would be interested to see if they experience the same thing.

Reply 5 of 12, by pixel_workbench

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Doesn't the WB cache require support from the motherboard? The later 486 boards have that option in the bios, but they also support faster 3.3v processors.
My earlier board that only supports 5v processors does not have that bios option to toggle WB/WT cache.

My Videos | Website
P2 400 unlocked / Asus P3B-F / Voodoo3 3k / MX300 + YMF718

Reply 6 of 12, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pixel_workbench wrote on 2022-05-15, 16:06:

Doesn't the WB cache require support from the motherboard? The later 486 boards have that option in the bios, but they also support faster 3.3v processors.
My earlier board that only supports 5v processors does not have that bios option to toggle WB/WT cache.

In my case the motherboard has the WB/WT toggle, but only supports 5V CPUs.

Reply 7 of 12, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote on 2022-05-15, 15:44:
AlessandroB wrote on 2022-05-15, 10:26:

Hi AlessandroB,

Just a side note, but I had a recent interesting experience with those two DX2-66 variants. I upgraded a small 486 system board with the SX807 and all worked normally, I then tested out a SX955 variant on the same board and de-turbo mode would hard freeze the system. After a CMOS reset I stuck the SX807 back in and the turbo toggle worked normally again. Now, this might just be a faulty SX955, but if anyone reading this has a setup where they can test this I would be interested to see if they experience the same thing.

My Sx807 work with the 3,3v regulator plugged-in

Reply 8 of 12, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To me the SX955 is the ultimate DX2-66.
I've got three of them.

They all do run fine art 3,3v and without fan they keep cool to the touch.
WB does require bios support. If the bios does not explicitly support it, chances are high the CPU runs WT (nothing wrong with that, runs just fine, but a waste of the capability).

Performance is about 5% higher on three boards I have, compared to a regular wt dx2.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 9 of 12, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
waterbeesje wrote on 2022-05-15, 19:06:
To me the SX955 is the ultimate DX2-66. I've got three of them. […]
Show full quote

I've got three of them.

WB does require bios support. If the bios does not explicitly support it, chances are high the CPU runs WT (nothing wrong with that, runs just fine, but a waste of the capability).

Performance is about 5% higher on three boards I have, compared to a regular wt dx2.

and what about the “sl” capabilities?

Reply 10 of 12, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlessandroB wrote on 2022-05-15, 19:23:
Show full quote

I've got three of them.

and what about the “sl” capabilities?

To be honest, I've never noticed any performance difference for SL and never really dug into it. All I know about SL is it uses some energy optimization but that's about it

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 11 of 12, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Show full quote

I've got three of them.

And do your SX955 CPUs operate normally (slower) with turbo off? I am still testing on the board I have, but in all my years I've never had this particular issue so trying to narrow down the problem.