VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been coming and going over the last while though have not posted anything.

I wanted to now just to make everyone aware and not to bid on the following as either the seller knows or doesn't... the chip is not real or as advertised.

All Blue Lightnings are 3.3 volt chipsets, stepped down by an onboard VRM, this one does not have any form of step down and the chip is likely only a 5v chip... i.e. not blue lightning (as advertised).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185422385688

Still looking out for the community... take care all!

Attachments

• BL ebay chip.JPG
    Filename
    BL ebay chip.JPG
    File size
    44.9 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Public domain

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 1 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The description says it is an BL3 on a prototype interposer. But is has Jaton branding on it. Maybe it was something that was never sold but the interposer doesn't look like a prototype to me.

My bet is that is was sold as a 75Mhz part as the seller said they couldn't get it to run at 120Mhz.

I'm also not finding any reference to a 100Mhz BL3 or other 386-486 upgrades that were sold any faster than 75Mhz.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 8, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

there's clearly a VRM on the bottom there?

if that's actually the one they're selling, seeing as it's not an actual photo, which is what makes this highly suspicious in the first place, how hard can it be to just put up a photo of it?

Reply 4 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote on 2022-05-17, 05:02:

I mean, isnt the price enough to deter anyone from buying it?

I agree with you, but some people have either deeper pockets and/or a desire to get something specific at practically any cost . I am not judging, I've been down a similar road (though 600S or more for a CPU is really pushing it, IMHO, as my Intel 9900K cost less than that when new and top of the line, AFAICR) .

Reply 5 of 8, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2022-05-17, 03:05:

there's clearly a VRM on the bottom there?

if that's actually the one they're selling, seeing as it's not an actual photo, which is what makes this highly suspicious in the first place, how hard can it be to just put up a photo of it?

No.

On the chip that is being sold, only 4 small SMD resistors are on the underside... no VRM.

It is a 5v chip, the Blue Lightnings needed a step down in volts i.e. 3.3v to be able to increase frequency and performance, they are directly proportional to each other.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

Reply 7 of 8, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2022-05-17, 12:57:

you got a picture of the actual chip being sold?

Yes, it is in the listing.

They uploaded more pictures to add to the first couple. Same "Jaton" pcb... but no VRM.

It is a 5 volt cpu i.e. not blue lightning. Though if a chip swap was done... i.e. from a proper blue lightning source de-soldered to solder onto this board... without the voltage manipulation down from 5 volts... none of the features would work as they depend on the reduction in volts. No only that... the chip would be on borrowed time running at higher voltage than in spec.