VOGONS

First post, by thomasfaurby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I recently bought a Tulip Vision Line dt 5 / 166 (Pentium 166 mhz) and I was going to use it for retro gaming. I got it working perfectly with a 16 gb compact flash drive in windows 98SE but (don't ask me why) thought it would be a good idea to install the mest recent BIOS version (downloaded from this Forum). Everything went well and the computer starts up correctly with the updated BIOS. The problem is, that though I'm still able to detect the CF-card but it clearly doesn't work the way it's supposed to. I can no longer boot from it and if I set everything to "auto" in the BIOS (and the drive is detected) it's gone again as soon as the computer goes to the post bios.

I know this is a long shot but does anyone here know where I can find the rev 0 of the BIOS (I've tried and failed) or has an idea why it isn't working anymore. Maybe theres another BIOS from one of the other Tulip motherboards I can try? Any advice is much appreiciated

Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 2, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you have a backup from the old bios? You could put that one back and see what it does.

Maybe boot from a floppy and run sys c: could help?
If not, you may try fdisk/mbr to make sure the card is bootable (no data loss)
And maybe need to reset all partitions as well (losing all data).

Is the cf still fine in a modern computer?

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 2 of 2, by thomasfaurby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply. 😀

I do not have a backup (I was a bit too carefree when I did the update) and it seems more or less impossible to find it online now. (I'm sort of hoping someone here has it lying around) Whenever I try to boot from an MS-DOS boot disk the system freezes - only when I've selected the CF as HDD in BIOS. I don't have a CF card reader so I can't check it but everything was working perfectly before I updated the BIOS so I'm more or less certain that's the problem.