VOGONS

First post, by pixel_workbench

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My Via C3 Nehemiah 1.2GHz processor has severe performance issues on two motherboards I tried already. It performs as if the cache is not enabled, even if I manually use setmul parameters to enable everything. I'm getting only about 3fps in PCPlayer benchmark 320x200, and about 5fps in Doom. The memory tests in Speedsys confirm my suspicion about the cache not working, and show a flat line instead of the step pattern where cache boundaries should be.

I tried it on a Gigabyte ga-6vx7-4x socket 370 motherboard that supports Coppermine and Via c3 Ezra processors. Also tried in on a newer MSI 694t Pro motherboard that supports Tualatin. In both cases, the board displays "unidentified cpu" on startup, and performs as if the cache was disabled.

Anyone know of a way to patch the bios so Nehemiah processors work correctly? Or are there other boards that are confirmed to work correctly with the processor?

My Videos | Website
P2 400 unlocked / Asus P3B-F / Voodoo3 3k / MX300 + YMF718

Reply 1 of 5, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The vogons wiki socket 370 page (https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_ … 70_motherboards) doesn't say whether any Via CPUs are supported, so it's possible that none will be properly supported. It may simply not know the registers to set them up on official BIOSes. The Gigabyte is listed as supporting Via but not Tualatin, so is probably just too old to know Nehemiah

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 2 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
debs3759 wrote on 2022-05-21, 23:21:

The vogons wiki socket 370 page (https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_ … 70_motherboards) doesn't say whether any Via CPUs are supported, so it's possible that none will be properly supported. It may simply not know the registers to set them up on official BIOSes. The Gigabyte is listed as supporting Via but not Tualatin, so is probably just too old to know Nehemiah

The thing with the VIA list is that at some point I got it as-is.
I basically just copy-pasted the list once it disappeared from the VIA website. It offered no explanation, so my best guess is that you'd have to check individual motherboard manuals if you want to know particular VIA CPU compatibilities.

Other than that, these days there's also cpu-upgrade.com which imo is actually a fairly good resource (though one should keep in mind that taking a shortcut by using a 3rd party resource is always at your own risk).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 5, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, yes - I had forgotten about cpu-upgrade.com. I tend to check them before I buy boards they list 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 4 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
debs3759 wrote on 2022-05-22, 23:29:

Ah, yes - I had forgotten about cpu-upgrade.com. I tend to check them before I buy boards they list 😀

It's a fine addition in my book 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 5, by pixel_workbench

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, turns out both the Ezra and Nehemiah processors work just fine on my Asus P3B-F rev 1.03 board with the MS-6905 slotket. Even thought it's using an older chipset than either of the other two boards. Score +1 for the good old 440BX.

My Videos | Website
P2 400 unlocked / Asus P3B-F / Voodoo3 3k / MX300 + YMF718