VOGONS

First post, by OMORES

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have this classic AMD PC-net PCI II card and for some reason I can't use it on my network...

I already used a 10baseT Realtek 8029 NIC - so my router is OK with this legacy mode.

The drivers are installing fine and definitely are controlling the card - in Windows 10 I can switch to UTP and the led starts blinking...

In NT 3.1 (where I want to use it) I can force it to use UTP only and BNC led gets disabled...

Let's assume the card it's working, what can be the problem? Is it the cabling maybe? Am I missing something?

I did test the card on a K6-2/500 (still not working) so I don't think it's about newer systems and PCI or PCI-E to PCI bridges...

Also, besides a direct wired connection to my router - I tried a Netgear WNC2001 (wireless to lan adapter, mfg. 2010) and a Asus wireless-N to LAN adapter (2015)...

Attachments

Reply 1 of 11, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you sure the card is TCP/IP compatible on protocol?

UTP is just a physical link, it needs to support IEEE 802.3 on the data link layer and TCP/IP on the layer above.

Reply 2 of 11, by OMORES

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
flupke11 wrote on 2022-05-24, 18:13:

Are you sure the card is TCP/IP compatible on protocol?

UTP is just a physical link, it needs to support IEEE 802.3 on the data link layer and TCP/IP on the layer above.

I think it is, this very card is emulated in VMware...

Reply 3 of 11, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OMORES wrote on 2022-05-24, 17:44:

in Windows 10 I can switch to UTP and the led starts blinking...

But do you connect to the network? Do you get an IP address? Can you ping your router?

OMORES wrote on 2022-05-24, 17:44:

Let's assume the card it's working, what can be the problem? Is it the cabling maybe? Am I missing something?

Let's assume nothing about the card without testing it properly.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 4 of 11, by OMORES

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't ping my router...

Well, for such an old 10mbit card there shouldn't be any 64bit SIGNED drivers. But there are... and I can install this card even in Windows 11. (just did it) It does nothing until I select UTP port, then starts blinking... (definitely there is communication at driver level)

If I go with DHCP I get some random IP 169.254.105.24 (see pic).

If I use manual configuration, I can set everything I want with no errors but still nothing works ...

Curios enough Windows troubleshooter says that cable is disconnected... but if I check manually (ipconfig) "media state" is reported disconnected only if I unplug the cable...

Attachments

• Ethernet_Cable.png
    Filename
    Ethernet_Cable.png
    File size
    337.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • DHCP.png
    Filename
    DHCP.png
    File size
    135.7 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • BNC-UTP.png
    Filename
    BNC-UTP.png
    File size
    118.85 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 6 of 11, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I suppose it could also be bad drivers in both cases. I'd try it out with Windows 98 or NT4 before writing it off completely. Windows NT 3.1 isn't the easiest thing to network and Windows 10 is way too new for this card - possibly the signed 64bit drivers found were only intended to be used with emulators/hypervisors and have never been tested against the real hardware.

Would also be worth testing if you can network via the BNC port if you've got the necessary terminators, T connectors and cabling. It will connect to the PCnet chip via an integrated MAU and AUI interface so if there is something wrong with the UTP port it probably won't affect the BNC port unless the pcnet chip itself is bad.

Reply 7 of 11, by OMORES

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Might be a broken card or some bad drivers, although those for NT 3.1 should be as legit as they can be...

Still, I can't rule out the cabling problem... I will make a crossover cable.

Attachments

• mdi.png
    Filename
    mdi.png
    File size
    22.89 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 9 of 11, by Error 0x7CF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sometimes 10mbit cards have trouble negotiating down from a gigabit connection, if you have a 100mbit switch laying around you could put that in the middle.

gigabit router -> 100mbit switch -> 10mbit card

Old precedes antique.

Reply 10 of 11, by OMORES

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried an old USB to LAN adapter - this one did connect with crossover cable only. (but still no activity) I guess it's a problem with the card itself. After all I did install it on different computers with different drivers with no success.

Anyways, I made some progress connecting NT 3.1 to my network. I found a Winbond 840 PCI 10/100 LAN with NT 3.1 drivers. On NT 3.1, this card works best when is set to 10mbps, half duplex. I didn't found a pattern yet, but I had to install it and uninstall it a couple of times to make it work. I guess updating to SP3 does mess up TCP/IP subsystem.

NT 3.1 can access my shared USB hdd connected to my router (a 2020 TP-Link), also can get along with my wireless printing server . (Btw runs on a i5/4570 directly from SSD. Luckily the motherboard has IDE legacy settings for SATA)

Attachments

Reply 11 of 11, by chiveicrook

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cards based on AM79c970 should support auto MDI/MDI-x but this card definitely does not support auto negotiation - if you can't force the switch (or generally the other end) to 10mbit mode it might not work, especially in half-duplex. Best to force both the switch and the card to 10mbit/s full duplex mode.