VOGONS

Reply 3780 of 4609, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Radical Vision wrote on 2022-05-30, 20:14:
This was not found in the dumpster but hear me out.. I was talking with a colleague of mine, then at some point he said he need […]
Show full quote

This was not found in the dumpster but hear me out.. I was talking with a colleague of mine, then at some point he said he need fast to replace his warehouse, as the big one was draining too much money every month rent, so he was tired of spending too much, to store useless for him stuff.. So he was about to trow all these things to the garbage, i told him i can get them.. So they was going to be trash can stuff...

Not sure how much that Warhammer desk game cost...
Also got a bit lucky there was these 3 drives the Adata seems ded, but the rest are working fine nice upgrades... Now imagine if there is an BITcoin in some of them........
Cougar Immersa and Phontum headphones (the immers i think sounds very good for free sound ofc), and Hama uRAGE keyboards, these are any good for presents when someone buy something from me lmao..
There is total of 44 TT cases, and 38-40 of them are fine, rest are a bit broken. Nice funding of new retro HW purchases.. Computer HW exotics, rares and good stuff here i come >>>>>

such a big haul! some of it i'd guess can be sold too.

So you have to build a warehouse now ? 😀

Reply 3781 of 4609, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerry wrote on 2022-05-31, 07:35:
This was not found in the dumpster but hear me out.. I was talking with a colleague of mine, then at some point he said he need […]
Show full quote

This was not found in the dumpster but hear me out.. I was talking with a colleague of mine, then at some point he said he need fast to replace his warehouse, as the big one was draining too much money every month rent, so he was tired of spending too much, to store useless for him stuff.. So he was about to trow all these things to the garbage, i told him i can get them.. So they was going to be trash can stuff...

Also got a bit lucky there was these 3 drives the Adata seems ded, but the rest are working fine nice upgrades... Now imagine if there is an BITcoin in some of them........
Cougar Immersa and Phontum headphones (the immers i think sounds very good for free sound ofc), and Hama uRAGE keyboards, these are any good for presents when someone buy something from me lmao..
There is total of 44 TT cases, and 38-40 of them are fine, rest are a bit broken. Nice funding of new retro HW purchases.. Computer HW exotics, rares and good stuff here i come >>>>>

Well i think i will manage to store them in x2 basements (i have 2 of them) i will just remove some pentium 4 era cases that no one want to buy/ trade and replace them with these, as these ThermalTake cases new did cost like 40 euros, so i can sell them no problem for half of that price like 20 euros or even 15, to remove numbers. And with the money i will buy mostly sweet old HW, and save it from idiots that think parts like Voodoo cards, pentium 3, AMD K6, PentiumPro and others are garbage...

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 3782 of 4609, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Radical Vision wrote on 2022-05-31, 07:55:
gerry wrote on 2022-05-31, 07:35:

Well i think i will manage to store them in x2 basements (i have 2 of them) i will just remove some pentium 4 era cases that no one want to buy/ trade and replace them with these, as these ThermalTake cases new did cost like 40 euros, so i can sell them no problem for half of that price like 20 euros or even 15, to remove numbers. And with the money i will buy mostly sweet old HW, and save it from idiots that think parts like Voodoo cards, pentium 3, AMD K6, PentiumPro and others are garbage...

having 2 basements is useful 😀 a good plan anyway and hopefully will find some buyers for these items (must be some interest in the Warhammer thing too) so they are saved from the trash and you can then rescue some quality HW 😀

Reply 3783 of 4609, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes having extra space is nice, otherwise i will sleep on cases an use them as blanket too lmao ... I am not into these desk games such as that Warhammer series, dont have idea how much this box cost.. Saw some similar in ebay for 100$ in similar condition open box, but new, as these are new too inside... Saving the exotics and good stuff is important, one time i was late (or better to say a guy i know was late to give me the phone number of former computer repair shop that opened doors 1996, and he closed like in 2018 that is 20 years of collection rares and interesting stuff... So when i did call the guy was so pissed, me too as he did trow 2 fu**king rooms full of IBMs, XT systems, ISA cards, 3Dfx cards he did said there was even x2 Voodoo 5 5500 in there too, mechanical keyboards, part, and parts and systems and stuff... As another HW retro collector colleague said "this is tragedy", sadly it is i am still mad about that time and missed so many stuff, at least if i could go and safe like 15% of all things, but selected very good ones, was going to be less of tragedy, but what can be done......

On other side i go some times to schools, colleges and other places if i find someone that works in such place, and i get good stuff for pocket change, that are usually in great condition, and i save them from the trash, or the hands of these nasty idiots that like to brake parts with hammers and extract the gold....

K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 3784 of 4609, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Getting lucky with dumpster finds lately!

stuff.jpeg
Filename
stuff.jpeg
File size
688.02 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Bunch of PS2 games in pretty rough condition... all have the CD, a couple even have the manual. Unfortunatly God of War is so scratched up my PS2 fat will barely read it, and after starting a new game it will freeze. Kingdom Hearts (the one I was really excited about) is in german.... so useless to me. A couple of others seem to be in spanish - at least that's what the box says, but when I ran them the menus and cinematics are english... Wish the same was true for Kingdon Hearts.... eh - it was free so I'm not complaining. Besides, I was budgeting for a HDD mod for my PS2 phat anyway. It's about 80$, comes with a modded memory card, a internal SATA HDD adapter and a 320GB drive. A good idea since the optical drive on my PS2 slim has failed a couple of years ago, and the tray from my PS2 Phat is failing (have to close it by hand). God of war collection for PS3 on the other hand is in mint condition. Tried it in my PS3 and it works flawlessly.

games.jpeg
Filename
games.jpeg
File size
274.34 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Dunno what the mouse is doing here... would it even work on a PlayStation 2? Well I tested it and it works fine on PC. It's a USB mouse with a ball. Very high DPI too. Seems to work perfecly and it's surprisingly pleasant to use albeit from the rubbery stuff on the buttons witch has turned into gunk - but that's easy to clean off using cheap car perfume bottles - the oily kind.

boomslang.jpeg
Filename
boomslang.jpeg
File size
455.38 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Terratec branded Razer Boomslang. Works in a PS/2 port as well! Tired it with a generic USB to PS2 adapter. This is one of the first gaming mice right? From around 1999 or 2000? I gotta try it in Unreal Tournament!!! [Update]: It's kind of horrible in shooters. Sensitivity is set way to high and messing with the ingame sensitivity makes the mouse lag. Perhaps I should look for the software it came with....

Reply 3785 of 4609, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Socket3 wrote on 2022-05-31, 13:19:
Getting lucky with dumpster finds lately! […]
Show full quote

stuff.jpeg

Bunch of PS2 games in pretty rough condition... all have the CD, a couple even have the manual. Unfortunatly God of War is so scratched up my PS2 fat will barely read it, and after starting a new game it will freeze. Kingdom Hearts (the one I was really excited about) is in german.... so useless to me. A couple of others seem to be in spanish - at least that's what the box says, but when I ran them the menus and cinematics are english... Wish the same was true for Kingdon Hearts.... eh - it was free so I'm not complaining. Besides, I was budgeting for a HDD mod for my PS2 phat anyway. It's about 80$, comes with a modded memory card, a internal SATA HDD adapter and a 320GB drive. A good idea since the optical drive on my PS2 slim has failed a couple of years ago, and the tray from my PS2 Phat is failing (have to close it by hand). God of war collection for PS3 on the other hand is in mint condition. Tried it in my PS3 and it works flawlessly.

games.jpeg

Dunno what the mouse is doing here... would it even work on a PlayStation 2? Well I tested it and it works fine on PC. It's a USB mouse with a ball. Very high DPI too. Seems to work perfecly and it's surprisingly pleasant to use albeit from the rubbery stuff on the buttons witch has turned into gunk - but that's easy to clean off using cheap car perfume bottles - the oily kind.

boomslang.jpeg

Terratec branded Razer Boomslang. Works in a PS/2 port as well! Tired it with a generic USB to PS2 adapter. This is one of the first gaming mice right? From around 1999 or 2000? I gotta try it in Unreal Tournament!!! [Update]: It's kind of horrible in shooters. Sensitivity is set way to high and messing with the ingame sensitivity makes the mouse lag. Perhaps I should look for the software it came with....

With the software for the Boomslang you can set the sensitivity to better suit your needs. Overall it really is a good mouse even not being a optical mouse.

Reply 3786 of 4609, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Getting lucky with dumpster finds lately! […]
Show full quote

stuff.jpeg

games.jpeg

boomslang.jpeg

Nice games specially GOW, FF.. Now dont tell me, u found the bottles full and did drink them 🤣 ...

K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 3787 of 4609, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

boomslang.jpeg

Razer Boomslang was USB but always supported PS/2 as well.
Except for needing to clean the ball now and again (mine was a ball mouse and not the much more recent optical version), the main problem of this mouse is that at some point the keys will become 'sticky', pressing them won't work anymore and at some point bending the keys back will also not work anymore.
If the mouse is still in working condition (especially if both the large mouse keys still press like they should), I'd say enjoy it! Hopefully this Terratec branded one doesn't have the same mouse key issues my original Boomslang had 😋
Btw I didn't even know Terratec also had such a mouse or I did and forgot about it by now.

One other thing I liked about this mouse is the extra long mouse cable.

EDIT: You should be able to get the drivers here

Last edited by Tetrium on 2022-05-31, 15:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3788 of 4609, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-05-30, 22:10:
Tetrium wrote on 2022-05-28, 22:07:
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-05-28, 16:21:

What if two (or more!) people who really want it show up at the same time?

As soon as you see a challenger showing up at the same time you RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!! Till you get to da loot "ITSAMINE! GRRRRRRRRR.....My....precious! 😁" 🤗

That was almost how it went with these two. They were part of a bunch of stuff being given away on Craigslist where it was all left out on their driveway. I saw the ad very soon after it was posted; it was nearby, so I jumped in my truck and drove over immediately. The house was located in a cul de sac and when I arrived, I saw another car that was obviously there for the same reason. Luckily, he didn't seem interested in either of the computers, but was after some of the other things (none of which were of interest to me).

After getting them home and having a closer look, they were a bit of a disappointment. Both have Core 2 Duo CPUs and only have onboard video, and were bare bones systems that had been used at a YWCA. The Lenovo has a Q9500 in a DDR2 mother board with only two memory slots. The Optiplex has a dual core, but the motherboard uses DDR3 and has four memory slots. If I move the Q9500 into the Optiplex and bump it up to eight gigs of memory, that would be a decent system that someone could use, though I don't know anyone who needs a basic computer right now.

Personally I'd still be happy with such a find. But perhaps it's just me being used to be happy with whatever I find, it's how dumpsterdiving was for me finding all those generic 486 and Pentium AT minitowers back then 😋

2x2GB DDR2 would still make it a nice WinXP system, or at least that's how I'd look at it. It has the i945 chipset perhaps?
The DDR3 system is probably more useful as it is more recent and has a somewhat easier upgrade path.
If I were offered those 2 systems, I'd say GIMME! xD 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 3789 of 4609, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Show full quote

20220529_223144.jpg

Omg I wouldn't know what to do with THAT many extra cases!
These cases of yours might be interesting for people seeking a relatively modern case (with features like better airflow and perhaps mounting options for 2.5in drives, though I don't know what exact cases you have piled up there! 😜 ) which also have some external drive bays for optical drives (or even floppy drives though I would find it visually not very pleasing to look at but whatever free cases are free cases! xD ).

Do you know the exact model of those cases? Now I'm curious! 😋

Report spammers here!

Reply 3790 of 4609, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2022-05-31, 15:35:
Omg I wouldn't know what to do with THAT many extra cases! These cases of yours might be interesting for people seeking a relati […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

20220529_223144.jpg

Omg I wouldn't know what to do with THAT many extra cases!
These cases of yours might be interesting for people seeking a relatively modern case (with features like better airflow and perhaps mounting options for 2.5in drives, though I don't know what exact cases you have piled up there! 😜 ) which also have some external drive bays for optical drives (or even floppy drives though I would find it visually not very pleasing to look at but whatever free cases are free cases! xD ).

Do you know the exact model of those cases? Now I'm curious! 😋

Well you said it the free stuff are free stuff, is better when they are not complete crap. But when is free is free cant bsay anything about free stuff, if is something i dont like i just sell/ trade them and then i get better stuff anyway..
I dont think the teenagers and kids will like these cases much, as these days they are all about RGB leds (the so called christmas decorations 🤣 ), crap glass panels that tend to brake and u have then best window to ur system 🤣 ...

The cases are all TT ThermalTake Versa different models, seems they did cost between 50-60 euros brand new when i did research so maybe i will be able to make a bit more money on them ...
TT Versa N21 (this case is only 1 and it looks very good)
TT Versa N23 (also looks nice 2 of them)
TT Versa H23 (3 cases from these)
TT Versa H21 (7 cases from these)
TT Versa H24 (these are the most like 30 total)

The cases are cheap crap, BUT they are for free when i sell all i will have 500+ euro from them that is ALOT of cheap local finds of good stuff.. There is also the Hama uRAGE keyboards whole box of like 20-25 of them total, and Cougar Immersa headphones... I have also other stuff like whole Cougar periphals set that i will sell for 50 euro...

20220315_130015.jpg
Filename
20220315_130015.jpg
File size
1.7 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Attachments

K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 3791 of 4609, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2022-05-31, 15:22:
Razer Boomslang was USB but always supported PS/2 as well. Except for needing to clean the ball now and again (mine was a ball m […]
Show full quote

boomslang.jpeg

Razer Boomslang was USB but always supported PS/2 as well.
Except for needing to clean the ball now and again (mine was a ball mouse and not the much more recent optical version), the main problem of this mouse is that at some point the keys will become 'sticky', pressing them won't work anymore and at some point bending the keys back will also not work anymore.
If the mouse is still in working condition (especially if both the large mouse keys still press like they should), I'd say enjoy it! Hopefully this Terratec branded one doesn't have the same mouse key issues my original Boomslang had 😋
Btw I didn't even know Terratec also had such a mouse or I did and forgot about it by now.

One other thing I liked about this mouse is the extra long mouse cable.

EDIT: You should be able to get the drivers here

Thanks, I'll try the drivers out

Reply 3792 of 4609, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We are repurposing a storage room at work into a server room. It has to be emptied by the end of next week.
There I found this, perfectly working, no yellowing. It has no IT identifier sticker, so it doesn't exist, meaning I can take "nothing" home for free.

IMG_20220610_083429.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220610_083429.jpg
File size
1.32 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

(edit: forgot the image)

List me reasons why not to.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 3793 of 4609, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-06-10, 13:55:
We are repurposing a storage room at work into a server room. It has to be emptied by the end of next week. There I found this, […]
Show full quote

We are repurposing a storage room at work into a server room. It has to be emptied by the end of next week.
There I found this, perfectly working, no yellowing. It has no IT identifier sticker, so it doesn't exist, meaning I can take "nothing" home for free.

IMG_20220610_083429.jpg

herewith your list:

Reply 3794 of 4609, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
We are repurposing a storage room at work into a server room. It has to be emptied by the end of next week. There I found this, […]
Show full quote

IMG_20220610_083429.jpg

The real key is to walk out like you own it.

Are there any other "non-existent" items in that closet?

Reply 3795 of 4609, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-06-10, 14:41:
Show full quote

IMG_20220610_083429.jpg

The real key is to walk out like you own it.

Are there any other "non-existent" items in that closet?

Nah, we can load it into the company car when we take out the trash and stop at my place on the way to the e-waste container.

As for other nonexistent stuff, there might. I found an old OTDR running a 486DX and 16MB of RAM. The battery still had enough charge to turn on. I'll take some pictures on Monday. It "exsists", but maybe I can convince my boss in case it's to be disposed of. It's slow (by today's standards) and haven't seen action since I'm at the company.

Reply 3797 of 4609, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not that simple. Company equipment that is in the books can't be simply taken home. If it's a computer, notebook or a monitor, I can take off the IT identifier with a heat gun and put it on a broken, disposable device I pick up for free from wherever. For other devices, like an OTDR, it's a little more difficult to find something that can pass as an industrial portable measuring device.

Reply 3798 of 4609, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NOS box of ZIP/100 diskettes (10 pieces). I generally try to stick with 250 IDE/SCSI/USB drives and media as they are the most universal, but it's not easy to buy any of them NOS so I'm not complaining. I paid ~5 USD per piece, so not great but not terrible as well.

Attachments

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 3799 of 4609, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HanJammer wrote on 2022-06-10, 16:04:

NOS box of ZIP/100 diskettes (10 pieces). I generally try to stick with 250 IDE/SCSI/USB drives and media as they are the most universal, but it's not easy to buy any of them NOS so I'm not complaining. I paid ~5 USD per piece, so not great but not terrible as well.

Shouldn't that be in the 'bought this' thread .

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port