VOGONS

ALR Evolution V ST (Socket 5) build

Topic actions

First post, by JamesF36

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone, just made an account today so I can share my Socket 5 ALR build, so as of now the PC is a ALR Evolution V ST with a Pentium 75Mhz which I'm currently pushing to 100mhz and a Intel 430FX chipset.

First thing I did was order some RAM for it (128mb) which is actually out for delivery today.
It came with a WD Paradise Bahamas 64 Trio GPU on the PCI slot which is interesting, maybe i'll keep that.
It also has a Conner 1GB SCSI drive paired to a Adaptec AHA-2940 PCI SCSI Card (also planned to keep that except for the HDD)
I added in a Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 PCI card (SB-0100, but Windows 95 doesn't seem to recognize it but I'm not planning on keeping W95 on it maybe I will put Windows 2000 or 98SE)

I'm a little bummed out at the fact that for socket 5 i'm kind of limited on the CPU since you know... I can't really properly stick a split voltage CPU in this thing (AFAIK). Well I checked the voltage regulator on this motherboard is a LT1585 which I believe is around 4 amps? So I decided to order a LT1584 which is a 7a 3.3v voltage regulator to upgrade to because I also ordered *drumroll* a Pentium MMX 200Mhz and I'm pretty sure the CPU will handle the overvolt so I'll just upgrade the passive heatsink on the CPU with a beefier one to help + that voltage regulator, I'm praying the actual PCB handles the extra power being taken by the MMX but we will see.. if I burn up the motherboard I'll just find a Socket 7 430FX motherboard to put in, but for now we'll see how it goes. I'd love to put in a K6-233 (3.3v version, just break off the extra pin) but I hear that thing runs extremely hot and is power hungry so I stuck with the good ol' Pentium MMX.

Anyways now the HDD issue, I have these spare Fujitsu 73gb SCSI drives from my old server PC, of course being 80 pin I thought okay let me get a 50 pin to 80 pin adapter so I can run it in the PC - I totally forgot about the termination issue since these 80 pin drives don't have any termination so the SCSI card doesn't detect the drives as of right now, so I ordered an active terminator that'll go on the last connection on the 50 pin ribbon cable.

Also I found a BIOS update (surprisingly) after digging for such a long time I managed to find a BIOS update for the ALR 9670 PCB which is a year newer (august 1996 rather than march 1995), I updated the BIOS and I wish I could say that it changed something but so far same stuff.

Reply 2 of 71, by JamesF36

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you and absolutely i’ll upload some photos! So I just installed the 128mb RAM all went well there, also I played around with the jumpers and looks like the P75 didn’t like 133mhz but it’s okay with 120mhz so I guess that’s where it’ll be until the MMX comes.

The stock voltage regulator was burning hot to the touch when I felt it and the heat sink on the voltage regulator looks very thin and looks like it barely does anything at all. Looks like i’ll be ordering a better heat sink for the newer voltage regulator

I found out the Cache SIMM was made by Corsair, I find that pretty cool. I cant wait for the SCSI termination to be delivered hopefully in the next few days so I can make use of these HDD’s and get Windows 2000 installed.

I eventually want to build one of those coin battery holders to replace the Dallas RTC that’s currently in the motherboard, it seems fine right now but I definitely don’t want to be stuck if it decides to give out one day

Edit: Pentium 75 didn't like 120mhz after a while so it's back down to 100 it is. I went ahead and bought a 25MM tiny case fan to put on top of the current voltage regulator since it gets so hot, I also put a dab of thermal paste between the pad and the voltage regulator where it sits on the joke of a "heatsink", hopefully this helps. Also added a 80MM case fan on top of the thin passive heatsink they put on top of the pentium (currently held on by a zip tie), until the proper CPU cooler gets delivered in the mail. I also ordered the wrong voltage regulator, it was the same model number and everything but it was adjustable voltage not 3.3v, oops. It's okay because I found a slightly better model for sale (LT1584IT instead of LT1584CT) and it's the whole 7 amps 3.3 volts so I should be in the green in terms of that, now I'm debating whether or not to put a beefier heatsink for the TO220 or if having thermal paste and a fan added into the equation be enough considering how hot these things get

Reply 3 of 71, by JamesF36

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Decided to install Windows 98 while I waited for the parts to arrive hopefully in the next few days (the upgraded voltage regulator, the 200 mmx, the upgraded cooler, the scsi terminator)

This won’t be the last install since I’m changing out the HDD once the terminator arrives but I do want to mess around with the PC while waiting especially since it now has 128mb of ram

I’m also considering putting a better video card in but i’m not sure what, maybe an ATI Rage XL? But that seems too “new” for a socket 5 build so i’m not too sure

I wonder how hot the current voltage regulator gets now that I strapped a tiny 25mm fan on top of the thin “heat sink” and put thermal paste between the heat sink and regulator

I wonder now that I’m upgrading the regulator to a 7 amp 3.3 volt rated regulator if I can possibly run a K6-233ANR chip since that is pretty much a 3.3v cpu.. In the meantime i’ll see how the pentium 200 mmx likes being in its socket 5 home for now, if I can get some info on the longevity of people running K6-233’s in a socket 5 motherboard I might possibly consider doing that in the near future.

Reply 4 of 71, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Rage XL and SB Live in a Socket5 system sounds like a mistake.
Just leave it overclocked at 100, with Trio64 and ISA soundcard and be happy.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 71, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just a note, that WD Trio is probably the cleanest 2D card ever. Its a Trio, with great compatibility. Plus WD made absolutely perfect cards back then. Iv got a Ark1000 WD Bali card for my P60 that replaced a Diamond S3 Trio 64. The sharpness and difference in color is leagues ahead on the old ARK card.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 7 of 71, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Iv got a Ark1000 WD Bali card for my P60 that replaced a Diamond S3 Trio 64. The sharpness and difference in color is leagues ahead on the old ARK card.

Now that's interesting. I always thought that the WD Bali32 was just a 2themax card with a WD sticker on it. Do you have pictures of both your cards?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 8 of 71, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JamesF36 wrote on 2022-06-08, 23:15:

Thank you and absolutely i’ll upload some photos! So I just installed the 128mb RAM all went well there, also I played around with the jumpers and looks like the P75 didn’t like 133mhz but it’s okay with 120mhz so I guess that’s where it’ll be until the MMX comes.
Edit: Pentium 75 didn't like 120mhz after a while so it's back down to 100 it is.

What stepping is your P75. I have had an ancient gold top SX953 P75 (1994 week 40) since early 1995 and it still runs at 133mhz very stable with no voltage increase. It has a 2 inch tall heatsink(looked big for 1995 standards but is small now), I disabled the fan on top as it made no difference to stability. I like the P75 for older games as well (with setmul and the subtle control/disabling of branch prediction/pipelines/etc I can get it to 486-20mhz speed without disable L1-cahce.

Also I found the difference between a P200 and P200 MMX was so small I just skipped it in my socket5 intel morrison board. The same when comparing this socket5 board to if it was worth getting a socket7 boards with the same cpu and add on cards. Less than 1% difference in benchmarks. Socket 5 does everything from 93-98 with p75-p200, then I use a slot1 boards for faster win98 - pre XP stuff.
All socket 5 boards will support a P200 (non-mmx) with the easy bf0 bf1 mod, connecting two pins on the back of the cpu with a thin strand of wire.

Reply 9 of 71, by JamesF36

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You guys misunderstood the premise of this build! It’s supposed to be an experiment how far I can push a socket 5 system. My super period correct systems are my upcoming socket 7 build and the socket 370 pentium 3 build. I got the SB live out of my socket 462 athlon build since that motherboard has built in sound and is just simply an XP machine (don’t need special sound card for that build)

I received the Pentium 200MMX today, the terminator should’ve came today but didn’t (not shocked USPS) and the correct voltage regulator shipped with no tracking 😣 anywho, I forgot to mention I got a more “decent” heat sink that should do the job cooling the over volted Pentium 200.

Nobody really tried to stick a K6-233ANR in a socket 5? Cmon guys I’ve read that at least one person has done it!!

OH! Also forgot to mention a minor detail - As I was digging through some old parts I had (found a cool 5.25 tape drive and PCI modem card and some other stuff) and I also found an adaptec aha-2940AU so I decided to swap out my current adaptec aha-2940 for the AU version, I wonder what’s the differences between the two minus the fact that the AU is almost half the length and slightly newer (by 2 years it seems)

Reply 10 of 71, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What is your mainboard model number?

Yeah, don’t use a regular pentium mmx cpu.

A k6-233 is about as far as I would go.

There is also the mmx overdrive 200 those two are your best bets without getting into voltage interposer wizardry.

DIY Bios Modding guide Jan Steunebrink k6-2+/3+ 128gb

Depending on how far you wanna go down this rabbit hole, a bios update is probably a good ide for later cpu support.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 11 of 71, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2022-06-10, 13:42:

Iv got a Ark1000 WD Bali card for my P60 that replaced a Diamond S3 Trio 64. The sharpness and difference in color is leagues ahead on the old ARK card.

Now that's interesting. I always thought that the WD Bali32 was just a 2themax card with a WD sticker on it. Do you have pictures of both your cards?

I dont handy, but when I get home I should be going through the boxes with that stuff in it. Its a Paradise card, gold palm tree sticker. Bought it for a tenner on ebay ages ago just because it looked cool

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 12 of 71, by JamesF36

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-06-12, 04:11:
What is your mainboard model number? […]
Show full quote

There is also the mmx overdrive 200 those two are your best bets without getting into voltage interposer wizardry.

Depending on how far you wanna go down this rabbit hole, a bios update is probably a good ide for later cpu support.

I can’t seem to find much info on it except for the fact it’s some OEM style ALR model 9670 PCB. I definitely want to stick a K6-233 in this and see what happens, I wonder how many amps that cpu is rated for.. hopefully the 7 amp voltage regulator I put in won’t burn up from it

Reply 13 of 71, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JamesF36 wrote on 2022-06-12, 19:22:
Show full quote

I can’t seem to find much info on it except for the fact it’s some OEM style ALR model 9670 PCB. I definitely want to stick a K6-233 in this and see what happens, I wonder how many amps that cpu is rated for.. hopefully the 7 amp voltage regulator I put in won’t burn up from it

If we can find the ultimate retro link for it or make a entry for it it helps you and future searchers.

If you take the mobo out at any point or get a chance to get some pics of it, then post high res pics

https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/

https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/index/A?page=6

All I can seem to find for it are socket 3 and socket 4 boards

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 14 of 71, by JamesF36

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-06-12, 19:47:
If we can find the ultimate retro link for it or make a entry for it it helps you and future searchers. […]
Show full quote
JamesF36 wrote on 2022-06-12, 19:22:
Show full quote

If we can find the ultimate retro link for it or make a entry for it it helps you and future searchers.

If you take the mobo out at any point or get a chance to get some pics of it, then post high res pics

https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/

https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/index/A?page=6

All I can seem to find for it are socket 3 and socket 4 boards

Absolutely i’ll be taking out the motherboard soon to solder on the new voltage regulator so I’ll take some nice high res pics of it, I actually was trying to search for that motberboard on ultimate retro and was shocked I couldn’t find it

Reply 15 of 71, by JamesF36

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Trying to make the 80 pin scsi drives work is driving me nuts! I simply can’t figure out what it’ll take to have the card recognize these drives, I have the 50 pin to 80 pin adapter, I have the active terminator on the end of the cable, yet it still won’t recognize the 3 drives I tested!! What’s crazy is I hear the drive spin up and do it’s thing, I tested all 3 drives not a single change, I even messed with every jumper on the 50 pin to 80 pin adapter, I don’t understand what else is there to mess with.. it would really be nice to get these drives to work considering they’re pretty much free, minus the fact I had to buy an active terminator and 80 pin to 50 pin adapter

The wrong voltage regulator got delivered today but the correct one is still out there somewhere (no tracking but it’s shipped) which is a bummer

Reply 16 of 71, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you converting from a 80 pin controller to a 50 Pin Drive or from a 50 Pin Drive to an 80 pin controller?

You should post picsof this stuff. Humans are visual creatures

Check your pms btw

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 17 of 71, by JamesF36

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-06-13, 23:23:

Are you converting from a 80 pin controller to a 50 Pin Drive or from a 50 Pin Drive to an 80 pin controller?

You should post picsof this stuff. Humans are visual creatures

Check your pms btw

I had some spare Fujitsu 73gb HDD's (3 of them) which are 80 pin and I'm converting them to 50 pin. I've seen that these drives don't really play well with a separate terminator so my next option would be ordering a 80 to 50 pin adapter that has termination on it (which I did today - hopefully it'll arrive in a timely manner).. if this SCSI mess doesn't work out I guess i'll resort to a large(r) sized IDE HDD than the current 1gb scsi drive.

- Will be posting pics as soon as I get home, and thanks for the heads up just realized I couldn't respond to pm's yet

Reply 18 of 71, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I haven’t done much tinkering with scsi but I believe those adapters are for 50 pin drives on 80 pin controllers? Are they not?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 19 of 71, by JamesF36

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-06-14, 00:54:

I haven’t done much tinkering with scsi but I believe those adapters are for 50 pin drives on 80 pin controllers? Are they not?

Oh no, so it has a female 50 pin end where the cable will go in, along with a molex connector (since 80 pin drives use power over the 80 pin connector) and the other side is a 80 pin male end

I'm hoping the next adapter works (which in theory should considering this is a similar outcome as someone else) and it was extremely hard to find this type of adapter with a terminator built onto the adapter, usually you just find them for sale with no termination on it at all (those ebay and amazon ones)