VOGONS

First post, by smtkr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been looking at slotkets and a common feature of them is a jumper set (or dip-switch set) that is configured for a specific voltage setting. One of the settings is typically auto. This is probably common knowledge, but how does the auto setting work?

Is it
1. The motherboard polls the CPU for a voltage. The CPU returns the voltage it is configured for. The motherboard supplies that voltage.
2. The motherboard has a lookup table for known CPUIDs and, after identifying the CPU, supplies the voltage from it's lookup table.
3. Somthing else?

Reply 1 of 11, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A couple of CPU pins are connected to the VRM's voltage selection pins. A slotket's jumpers can override these signals, but obviously only with voltages the VRM actually supports.

Reply 2 of 11, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
smtkr wrote on 2022-06-08, 02:01:

I've been looking at slotkets and a common feature of them is a jumper set (or dip-switch set) that is configured for a specific voltage setting. One of the settings is typically auto. This is probably common knowledge, but how does the auto setting work?
Is it
1. The motherboard polls the CPU for a voltage. The CPU returns the voltage it is configured for. The motherboard supplies that voltage.

I think [1] comes closest.
During bootup the BIOS checks the voltage register of the cpu and 'communicates' that value to the motherboard's voltage regulator.
The motherboard (or slotket) can have jumpers or a switch that enables overriding the cpu register value.
And more sophisticated motherboards can have a BIOS that allows overriding the cpu register value by the user via software.

Reply 3 of 11, by smtkr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I looked it up in the datasheet today while I was taking a break (see attached).

Based on that, I guess the slotkets mask the VID pins if you select a voltage and pass the pins through if you put the slotket on auto.

I don't have anything to test, but that makes sense. Thanks for the replies. I've satisfied my curiosity.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Filename
    Capture.PNG
    File size
    59.33 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Pentium III Datasheet Voltage
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 4 of 11, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh that’s clever. If I’m understanding this right, instead of jumpers, they just use the cpu as it’s own programming card of sorts?

And if you intercept those pins you can change the vrm controller to other settings.

Nice.

Designing a tweaker slocket might be a fun project to tackle some day down the road. Got my hands full for now though. No time soon.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 5 of 11, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-06-09, 06:43:

Designing a tweaker slocket might be a fun project to tackle some day down the road. Got my hands full for now though. No time soon.

Having followed a number of threads on the subject here leads me to believe that voltage tweaking on slotkets is not much of a priority requirement. Many if not most Coppermine motherboards from the popular manufacturers come with BIOS versions that support voltage adjustments made by user.
The two requirements that clearly stand out and are not out of the box available on most slotkets are:
--On board voltage regulator fed by external power source (molex => psu) that covers the 1.3volt to 2.0volt range required by Coppermine cpu's. This allows Coppermine cpu's to be run on older motherboards that do not provide voltages lower than 1.8volt.
--Support for Tualatin cpu's on Coppermine dedicated motherboards.

Are you tempted ? 😀

Reply 6 of 11, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PARKE wrote on 2022-06-09, 17:01:
Having followed a number of threads on the subject here leads me to believe that voltage tweaking on slotkets is not much of a p […]
Show full quote
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-06-09, 06:43:

Having followed a number of threads on the subject here leads me to believe that voltage tweaking on slotkets is not much of a priority requirement. Many if not most Coppermine motherboards from the popular manufacturers come with BIOS versions that support voltage adjustments made by user.
The two requirements that clearly stand out and are not out of the box available on most slotkets are:
--On board voltage regulator fed by external power source (molex => psu) that covers the 1.3volt to 2.0volt range required by Coppermine cpu's. This allows Coppermine cpu's to be run on older motherboards that do not provide voltages lower than 1.8volt.
--Support for Tualatin cpu's on Coppermine dedicated motherboards.

Are you tempted ? 😀

I am, I’ve kinda been itching to make a dual tualitin build.

One of my ideas was to try and shoehorn two into that dual slot 1 tyan mobo that uses simms hahaha

Perfect platform for developing a slot 1 to tualitin adapter.

But alas this is something I don’t have time for atm. Need to finish the projects I’ve already started.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 8 of 11, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is old style, YOU set it, for things like Super Socket 7.
New style like in LGA775, where the CPU uses the FID pins to request a FSB clock and the VID pins to request a voltage, plus additional dynamic selection according to speedstep (set multiplier and voltage)
Now when the transition was made, I'm not 100% sure, I guess it began with Slot 1

Reply 10 of 11, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The VID is really 5-bit with VRM regulator chips that are used with P2/P3/SS7, but that doc only shows 4, I guess because the upper bit had lost relevance by then.
With a 5-bit VID the upper bit locks you into a range above or below 2.0V. If you're using jumpers it can be a good idea to put a red jumper on that bit to remind yourself it's the one that kills CPUs.

I have a slot-1 board where I absent mindedly installed a row of 2.5V capacitors on Vcore, forgetting that 2.8V Pentium-2s exist. That board uses auto voltage, so if a 2.8V Klamath was installed it would blow the caps.
I've thought about hardwiring the upper bit on that board so it can't go over 2V. Kind of a band-aid but I don't think I care if it can actually run Klamaths.

Reply 11 of 11, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IIRC I tried a interesting test out of pure fun where I tried the lowest voltage a Mendocino could POST with, and got it as low as 1.35v. (tried 1.3v as well but it flat out refused to beep at that point)

Which makes me wonder if Klamaths may be able to tolerate 2.2v Vcore, kinda the same voltage some K6s run at. This is something I'll be looking into if I can find a mainboard that lets me adjust Vcore.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB