VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 80 of 84, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-06-14, 13:02:

(My 8tb SSD cost 2k mid last year I bet its more now with shortages and such)

Now that I think about it, I would hate to actually own a 25tb HDD ..imagine losing that much data.

Even an 8tb SSD is pushing it for "too much data in one basket." Must be nice. What use do you put your 8tb SSD to? Server farm? How else would you get optimal use out of an SSD that large, unless you're copying 100s of GBs per day of photos, movies and / or archiving them / remuxing films, etc.

Reply 81 of 84, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2022-06-13, 18:10:

Conventional mechanical Hard drives performed fine up until WIndows-7 from my recollection.
Win-10 made Hard drives run slow because of the all the bloatware ( Onedrive, Google Drive, iTunes, constant updates, backups, etc. )

Very true. The real elephant in the room right now with mechanical drives is Shingled Magnetic Recording (SHR). This is a terrible, awful, abominal devolution in the "spinning rust" market, and these drives are the true dogs of the mondo cane world.

I was burned once, just once with an SMR drive. Never again. They're simply awful, never should have been marketed. Their write performance on large files goes to the single-low Mb/sec level! So, no wonder Windows doesn't run well on "modern" spinning drives.

On a fast 7200-rpm CMR drive (read speeds = write speeds, non-shingled recording), Windows 10 can be usable, provided you prune it down a lot by getting rid of the bloat, turning off updates, or simply using LTSC. And that system, by the way, should be used as a data system, offline, no internet access! Use an SSD if you desire internet access, because you'll need one of the bloated, modern Windows 10 installs for the burden that "Web 2.0" saddles upon the modern Windows user.

Reply 82 of 84, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was discussing about this lately and read users that seems like happy of this change but I don't see why. I mean, it's obvious SSD performances are not even comparable (but I'd also wonder about lifetime..) but I can't see why any user would benefit from this. I'd be more surprised of the contrary like the next o.s. might be so optimized that could even work also in an old hard disk with faster speed compared to the previous one. But if the logic is to have faster config (that the user buy) to let any o.s. (win or linux doesn't matter) to have more space to load even more packages, frameworks, dependencies, higher level languages etc.. why to be happy?
Consumer home computers built by the users probably already have a SSD but it's not like switching from msdos to Win 3.x or 95 that required a faster config for more than a reason, nowdays which are the reasons?
Some say "to better use modern hw instead of supporting old one" but to do what in the generic o.s. everyday usage? More GUI effects, animations?

Reply 83 of 84, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The below is off topic for the op but:

For "C:" I use the following no spinning rust here:
For my server I use a Supermicro 64GB 520 MB/s Solid State Drive (SSD-DM064-SMCMVN1)
Game VM on server uses Samsung SSD 970 EVO 2TB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-V7E2T0BW) for onboard M.2
For my desktop I use a Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
For my test desktop I use a Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB w/ StarTech.com M.2 to SATA Adapter
For my laptop I use a Samsumg PM9A1
2x of my QNAP use SAMSUNG FIT Plus 128GB - 400 MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive (MUF-128AB/AM)
1x of a QNAP uses a DOM it came with that I haven't replaced yet.
Think my 2013 Synology NAS may use a DOM but haven't checked .

I do use 2x 8TB SSD in my file server with my VM dedicated to online game store downloads (but it's "D:" not "C:") (I don't have any launchers on my desktop except GOG and Start Citizen). This is then copied to spinning rust and also to another location

Reason I have three locations is once a month I sync to spinning rust and then test OS compatibility and offline usage.
Ideally I'd have just two locations but you can't trust the stores since they are always removing or breaking things, also pretty much all game launchers have issues with network shares (except Steam for mac and Windows but not Linux!)and GOG and Star Citizen have issues with RDP so have to store those on my desktop), so you'd have to use iSCSI and I'd rather not.
Maybe once I start using 22TB HD's I can possibly get rid of the 8TB SSDs for storing "local" games and use for dedupe and create another datastore on spinning rust but I'd rather not since dedupe has it's own issues and it's likely not going to work with the files in a VM and other files outside of the VM although it might possibly work for the 2x locations outside of the VM.

Current locations of copies of games:
VM to store local copy of files on 2x 8TB SSD for shitty game launchers
Synced files from VM to spinning rust.
Copy of those files from sync directory to Game directory on server that I've tested to verify OS compatibility and offline usage.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 84 of 84, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zyzzle wrote on 2022-06-14, 15:42:
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2022-06-13, 18:10:

Conventional mechanical Hard drives performed fine up until WIndows-7 from my recollection.
Win-10 made Hard drives run slow because of the all the bloatware ( Onedrive, Google Drive, iTunes, constant updates, backups, etc. )

Very true. The real elephant in the room right now with mechanical drives is Shingled Magnetic Recording (SHR). This is a terrible, awful, abominal devolution in the "spinning rust" market, and these drives are the true dogs of the mondo cane world.

I was burned once, just once with an SMR drive. Never again. They're simply awful, never should have been marketed.

There are price savings on SMR drives and there are use scenarios where they make sense.

zyzzle wrote on 2022-06-14, 15:30:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-06-14, 13:02:

(My 8tb SSD cost 2k mid last year I bet its more now with shortages and such)

Now that I think about it, I would hate to actually own a 25tb HDD ..imagine losing that much data.

Even an 8tb SSD is pushing it for "too much data in one basket." Must be nice. What use do you put your 8tb SSD to? Server farm? How else would you get optimal use out of an SSD that large, unless you're copying 100s of GBs per day of photos, movies and / or archiving them / remuxing films, etc.

Huh? You seem to be implying that you need to read/write a lot to SSDs to have any advantage of them. That's not really true, they're also great for form factor, silence and shock tolerance.

Form factor and shock tolerance is why my external drive is a SSD, silence is why my gaming consoles have SSDs. If it wasn't so expensive, silence is why I would replace all my HDDs with SSDs.