VOGONS

First post, by assortedkingdede

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am unsure what type of 3D graphics card I should buy for a Windows 98 PC that has a ECS P6BAP-A+ 2.2. The board uses AGP 1.0 which presumably makes it incompatible with GPU's like GeForce FX 5200. I have also heard that PCI graphics has massive limitations. I am unsure what type of GPU I should use as well as not being sure what I should look for other than a GPU with good compatibility. I have seen a compatable Radeon 7000 with 64MB of VRAM but I have no idea if that is any good.

Reply 2 of 11, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can theoretically get semi modern PCI graphics cards, whether they match your OS, desired driver version or game compatibility requirements is another matter.

AGP 1 compatible VRS semi modern PCI will likely lean toward the modern PCI if your cpu can feed it.

AGP Universal - Actual compatability list

I have not noticed what the last “universal “ AGP card was (that not only fit but also worked) maybe someone else has some examples

Reply 3 of 11, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rmay635703 wrote on 2022-06-16, 18:19:
You can theoretically get semi modern PCI graphics cards, whether they match your OS, desired driver version or game compatibili […]
Show full quote

You can theoretically get semi modern PCI graphics cards, whether they match your OS, desired driver version or game compatibility requirements is another matter.

AGP 1 compatible VRS semi modern PCI will likely lean toward the modern PCI if your cpu can feed it.

AGP Universal - Actual compatability list

I have not noticed what the last “universal “ AGP card was (that not only fit but also worked) maybe someone else has some examples

on ati side radeon 9800 pro the 128mb version was the last ati card to have cut outs for both grooves in agp slot. on nvidia there are a couple 7000 series that have both but the don't have official 9x drivers. from what i could find a 6800xt made by galaxy specifically was that fastest 6000 series card to have both grooves. all the other cards only have the groove closest to the front of a case.

Reply 4 of 11, by STX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ECS P6BAP-A+ is a weird motherboard because was released in 2000, when AGP 2.0 (AGP 4X) cards were available, but it has an AGP 1.0 (AGP 2x) slot. This slot has keying to prevent insertion of a card that doesn't support AGP 1.0's 3.3V signaling voltage. Most AGP 2.0 GPUs are backwards compatible with AGP 1.0. That's why most AGP 2.0 cards' connectors have two notches; the notch on the left allows insertion into slots that are only compatible with AGP 1.0, and the notch on the right allows insertion into slots that are only compatible with AGP 2.0. Cards and motherboards that are compatible with both AGP 1.0 and AGP 2.0 are called AGP Universal.

I have a GeForce 2 (AGP 2.0) card and a 440BX (AGP 1.0) motherboard; I have experienced zero compatibility problems when I use them together because the GeForce 2 is AGP Universal.

However, compatibility between a card and a motherboard is never 100% guaranteed, even when their specs indicate that they should work together. Back in 2000, a friend of mine bought a GeForce 2 card and a Socket 370 AGP motherboard (I can't remember which motherboard), and the card and the motherboard were incompatible with each other. He couldn't determine why. Next, he bought a Rage Fury MAXX (AGP 1.0) card to replace the GeForce 2, and the Rage Fury MAXX worked fantastically with his motherboard! So even AGP Universal cards might be incompatible with a quirky motherboard in rare instances; you just have to experiment.

Reply 5 of 11, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What CPU is it?
According to the manufacturer site, it supports up to 1Ghz Coppermine.

With a 1Ghz Coppermine PentiumIII, I see a good match in Geforce 2 GTS (which is still quite available and inexpensive on eBay). MX440 is also a good alternative. ATi DDR (7200) or 7500 are also suitable if you prefer team red.

If the CPU you have at hand is around 500Mhz, a TNT (1 or 2) won´t cost much either. Unfortunately anything 3DFX is quite expensive nowadays.

Reply 6 of 11, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perhaps I've been lucky, but my Epox MVP3G-M has worked with every AGP card I've tried - Geforce 3 Ti 200, Geforce 4 Ti 4600, ATI 9800 SE, FX 5600, and a Quadro 2 Pro.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 7 of 11, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Avoid ECS P6BAP-A+. It is based on VIA 693A chipset which is infamous for very poor memory performance. Get a board with Intel 440BX or Via 494X / 694T.

As for graphics card FX 5200 is good perhaps for PIII 600. I would use at least FX 5500 with PIII 900-1Ghz.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 8 of 11, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The board's a slug, but there's no reason not to use AGP over PCI. If nothing else, it gives you a lot more choice as PCI VGA was becoming quite niche by then.

Really you just need to decide between a period-correct card (it's a 2000 board, but very 1999 (low) specs) or a card fast enough not to be a bottleneck. Advantage to period-correct is that everything will be compatible. Look for late S3 Savage (nice with UT MeTaL textures), anything 3dfx, nVidia TNT2/Geforce1, ATi Rage128 or maybe Matrox G400. If you want to max speed (which I wouldn't do on a board with a chipset this slow, it would be pearls before swine), you need to look for universal AGP cards that really can work with 3.3V. Personally I'd go for a GeForce4Ti 4200 (non-8x), but FX-series cards will do the job just as well. Added advantage with these (Gf3/4 or FX) is that you get nVidia's excellent DOS/VESA compatibility. This was dropped on later chips. With a board this slow, DOS is very much an option...

Reply 9 of 11, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a radeon that 9000 seems to work pretty well in most super Socket seven agp motherbords

I have a 9800 pro that works good in some of them (agp ss7)

as for PCI my radeon on 7500 and 9200 pro seems to be a very good one for socket 7 but I have not been able to get PCI video to work on a lot of my super Socket seven motherbord

I see though, that yours is a socket 370 but maybe that helps because it’s around the same time.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 10 of 11, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Main problem with Radeon 9000 and newer cards - driver overhead.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 11 of 11, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-06-18, 11:48:

Main problem with Radeon 9000 and newer cards - driver overhead.

9200 scores almost the same as my 7500

9800 is faster.

I can play halo on the 9800 at high res on a k6-3+

I tried getting geforce 2/3 cards working but never had much luck.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)