Common searches

Quake 1/2 + ATI Rage XL + 80486

Topic actions

First post, by alexartwww

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I'm building retro pc and trying to start up Quake 1/2 on opengl.

My Config:

• Zida 4DPS
  • Am5x86 (80486 @ 133 MHz)
  • 64 MB mem
  • ATI Rage xl from Ali + 3.3 v soldered to atx
  • CF IDE 4gb drive c
  • Windows 95

I can't run any 3d acceleration. ATI Rage XL should support OpenGL 1.1 due specs, even 2.0. But quake 1/2 shows errors, that opengl functions failed. I've tryied a lot of opengl32.dlls but no luck. I've seen pack of drivers, but there nothing special.

Any ideas?

http://wiki.aleksashkin.net/

Reply 1 of 37, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
alexartwww wrote on 2022-06-23, 23:20:

ATI Rage XL should support OpenGL 1.1 due specs, even 2.0.

IIRC ATI Rage GL drivers should be an ICD part of the driver, not MiniGLs. There could also be a newer DirectX dependency involved as well (486s can't install DX8)

OpenGL 2.0 is for shader model 2 hardware and better (Radeon R300 9xxx/GeforceFX)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 37, by alexartwww

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2022-06-23, 23:28:

486s can't install DX8)

Shall I install Windows 98? how 486 connected with software part? Yea, it could be slow, but should run it.

Reply 3 of 37, by alexartwww

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2022-06-23, 23:28:

IIRC ATI Rage GL drivers should be an ICD part of the driver, not MiniGLs

I don't understand this(IIRC - ? ICD -? ). Could you explain where I can get correct opengl32.dll? or install some correct driver or check it somehow?

Reply 4 of 37, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Rage II and up, ATI was specifying Pentium II minimum, but it was working on other MMX class CPUs.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 37, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you want any working, performant GLQuake on a 486, you're best using a 3dfx Voodoo Graphics / Voodoo2 for the least driver overhead (plus v2's multitexturing should be more comfortable on data going through the bus, despite the 'your wasting VooDoo!' bottleneck arguments). Quake2 may be a no-go for cache reasons (it's more heavy on the sound work and model animation, and 3d acceleration won't help you there.)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 37, by alexartwww

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-06-23, 23:52:

Rage II and up, ATI was specifying Pentium II minimum, but it was working on other MMX class CPUs.

I don't understand this. How CPU connected with GPU? Code has instructions, driver transforms them to hardware - run and go, yea 486 can slow down on some mp3 or engine calculations - eg gravity or objects, but grafics must work.

I think this is software problem and I need to have correct software. Additional instructions on CPU does not connected to graphics performance from my point of view.

Reply 7 of 37, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In the early "GPU" days, the CPU does all of the load-bearing on the driver, especially the FPU. The GPU just handles texture mapping, fog, and blending mostly. On ATI Rage this is worse as the alpha blending is also software rendered (this is where the P2 recommendation comes in).

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 37, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can squeeze 16-17 fps from Quake 2, but without sound, with some tweaks and on heavily overclocked 486DX4 with 3dfx card.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 9 of 37, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As a baseline of sorts, an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ @ 2166 MHz (12x 180) gets about 32fps in GLQuake and 29fps in Quake 2 using a Rage XL at 640x480 in 16-bit color . I wouldn't set my hopes too high for a 486 at 133MHz with the same video card.

http://hw-museum.cz/article/2/benchmark-vga-1 … 2011-edition-/5
http://hw-museum.cz/article/2/benchmark-vga-1 … 2011-edition-/6

Reply 10 of 37, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

486 is my favourite wolfenstein machine especially where no usb or ethernet i dont recommend overclock such old vintage just to say i can quake 2 only last hours before death unless under refridgeration. there is the 250mhz cpu but still not enough for quake

Reply 11 of 37, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have tried this with a Cx5x86 and Riva128 and I can tell you that you DON'T want to do it. Just get a Voodoo 1 or 2 if you want hardware 3D on a 486. Better still, just don't do it 🤣

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 14 of 37, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No one's saying it's impossible to run GLQuake and Quake2 on a 486. It's just not feasible with the Rage family. It's also not feasible with any PowerVR card either. It IS feasible with 3dfx Voodoos however...

also a spoiler: Quake3 can run on a 486 too. Barely, but it's possible. Feasible the hell it isn't.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 15 of 37, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2022-06-24, 08:27:

I have tried this with a Cx5x86 and Riva128 and I can tell you that you DON'T want to do it. Just get a Voodoo 1 or 2 if you want hardware 3D on a 486. Better still, just don't do it 🤣

Yeah, I thought for about 1 minute that I might throw my Voodoo 3 in my Cx5x86 just for shits....then I thought better of it. 🤣

Reply 16 of 37, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If I didn't completely imagine picking up an 8MB V2 some years ago, and if I find it, it's not beyond bounds of the possible that it might take a spin in a fast 486 machine here, but got plenty of super 7 stuff that will use the 16Mbs and the V3s better.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 17 of 37, by alexartwww

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't want to buy voodoo. They are expensive and quake 1 on voodoo ~ 17 fps on 640x480. This is too low for dream pc from our childhood.

Ok, any other solutions except voodoo and rage that will run opengl?

I have pci usb card, so it will have usb.

Reply 18 of 37, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like you need a read of this thread... Modern graphics on a 486

Reply 19 of 37, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
alexartwww wrote on 2022-06-24, 22:58:

This is too low for dream pc from our childhood.

Quake heavily uses the FPU. 486s won't stop having a weak FPU and 3D accelerators will never ever hope to overcome that.

apsosig.png
long live PCem