Help! PC won't power on with Slotket

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 78, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rootinit wrote on 2022-06-24, 17:11:
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-06-24, 14:40:
Whilst faulty is possible (cpu or slotket), don't rule out compatibility as well. […]
Show full quote
rootinit wrote on 2022-06-24, 07:45:

Further development. I tossed the same Slotket/CPU combo in my Dell XPS T550, and it was dead as a doornail as well. I know that these are both OEM machines, but I am beginning to think that either the Slotket is bad or the CPU is. Unfortunately, I don't have another Socket 370 CPU to test out. I guess I have to actually order one just to try it?

Whilst faulty is possible (cpu or slotket), don't rule out compatibility as well.

Although I don't have the IBM board for comparison, I do have a Dell XPS Txxx board with the latest A11 BIOS and, like you, a combination of the same Abit Slotket !!! / SL5QV cpu gives me nothing beyond the orange LED on the board, whereas the same cpu but on an MSI MS-6905 Master sloket starts first time.

A quick test on some other BX boards from QDI & Supermicro gave the same results - MSI works but Abit doesn't. I even changed the cpu to a 850/256/100 SL49G but still no go on any BX board with the Abit until I tried the P2B-DS (single cpu only) which worked without issue. Then moving up to a later chipset - the i810E on my Jetway 913AF slot 1 / skt 370 combo board - every cpu worked on the Abit without issue.

Most of the above were tested at both auto & hard FSB / voltage settings without effect, and can't be solely BIOS related either, given the Dell results. Strange indeed!

That is great! You are doing testing where I am unable to. That is really helpful information. Thank you so much. So, perhaps the Abit is not so good with BX boards, and I should work on getting one of those MSIs. Sure the Dell and the IBM are not the same, but they are both 440BX boards, and that is a theme with the Abit.

I don't have an IBM board but if you want I could take pics of the slotkets that work on my Dell board. (doesn't sound like it would be much help for what you started the thread on)

Reply 21 of 78, by rootinit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Grem Five wrote on 2022-06-24, 17:17:
rootinit wrote on 2022-06-24, 17:04:
Grem Five wrote on 2022-06-24, 10:47:

Did you have the bios jumper in setup mode?

I don't believe this jumper exists on this board.

Probably not on IBM but the Dell board has one.

Good to know. I just tried it, but same result. I can say that even without the jumper setting in that Configuration mode, it will still spin up the fans and give me some beeps without booting. With the Slotket, it will pretend that it's completely dead like it has no power supply even connected or anything (outside of the orange LED indicator on the board lighting up). I am really starting to think that the Abit Slotket is just not very compatible with BX boards in general.

IBM ThinkPad 755Cs (Win 3.11) • IBM ThinkPad 365x (Win 98SE) • IBM ThinkPad TransNote (Win 2k)
IBM PC (PC DOS 3.30) • IBM PS/2 Model 80 (Win 3.11) • IBM PC 300GL (Win 98SE)
AT&T PC 6300 (MS-DOS 6.22) • Dell XPS T550 (Win 98SE)

Reply 22 of 78, by rootinit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Grem Five wrote on 2022-06-24, 17:20:
rootinit wrote on 2022-06-24, 17:11:
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-06-24, 14:40:
Whilst faulty is possible (cpu or slotket), don't rule out compatibility as well. […]
Show full quote

Whilst faulty is possible (cpu or slotket), don't rule out compatibility as well.

Although I don't have the IBM board for comparison, I do have a Dell XPS Txxx board with the latest A11 BIOS and, like you, a combination of the same Abit Slotket !!! / SL5QV cpu gives me nothing beyond the orange LED on the board, whereas the same cpu but on an MSI MS-6905 Master sloket starts first time.

A quick test on some other BX boards from QDI & Supermicro gave the same results - MSI works but Abit doesn't. I even changed the cpu to a 850/256/100 SL49G but still no go on any BX board with the Abit until I tried the P2B-DS (single cpu only) which worked without issue. Then moving up to a later chipset - the i810E on my Jetway 913AF slot 1 / skt 370 combo board - every cpu worked on the Abit without issue.

Most of the above were tested at both auto & hard FSB / voltage settings without effect, and can't be solely BIOS related either, given the Dell results. Strange indeed!

That is great! You are doing testing where I am unable to. That is really helpful information. Thank you so much. So, perhaps the Abit is not so good with BX boards, and I should work on getting one of those MSIs. Sure the Dell and the IBM are not the same, but they are both 440BX boards, and that is a theme with the Abit.

I don't have an IBM board but if you want I could take pics of the slotkets that work on my Dell board. (doesn't sound like it would be much help for what you started the thread on)

Yes, I do think that would actually be SUPER helpful for everyone. Even just knowing the model numbers will help.

IBM ThinkPad 755Cs (Win 3.11) • IBM ThinkPad 365x (Win 98SE) • IBM ThinkPad TransNote (Win 2k)

Reply 23 of 78, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I may have your answer,

At some point they added two pins that keep the cpus from working in older mobos. As well as a second reset pin and moved power good pin. (Little rusty on specifics but something like that) I have been compiling info about mods for these and other issues in this thread:

Socket 370 Tweaker

I forget if Coppermine had this, I think maybe, tualitin definitely did.

If I had to guess I’d say your cpu is probably being held in reset.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 24 of 78, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh right, the halfassed AGLT+of later coppermines that was supposedly backward compatible but messed up some older boards maybe.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 25 of 78, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Aglt+? Can you give more info?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 26 of 78, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-06-24, 18:36:

Aglt+? Can you give more info?

Some info can be found here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_III
It's AGTL btw and not AGLT, in case you want to do some google searching.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 27 of 78, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rootinit wrote on 2022-06-24, 17:32:

Good to know. I just tried it, but same result. I can say that even without the jumper setting in that Configuration mode, it will still spin up the fans and give me some beeps without booting. With the Slotket, it will pretend that it's completely dead like it has no power supply even connected or anything (outside of the orange LED indicator on the board lighting up). I am really starting to think that the Abit Slotket is just not very compatible with BX boards in general.

I just had a Celeron slotket do the same thing while I was doing some testing.... system acts completely dead, even the psu wont power up on the Dell Txxxr board.

I did test the 2 different generic slotkets I have and they both worked on the Dell board.

qUQ9zXvl.jpg?1

I have 3 of these and they were like $10 USD off ebay a few years ago and they actually work with all jumpers set to Auto

s2Uxw5Hl.jpg?1

I have 2 of these and they were like $8 USD off ebay a few years ago and they dont work with the jumpers set to Auto and have to be set manually.

I also have 2 ASUS S370-DL slotkets that I'm currently running in a SuperMicro 440GX motherboard but I did not test them in the Dell board as I didnt want to pull them from a working system.

Turns out I have way more celeron slotkets than I thought I had and strange I even had 2 NOS in packages that I couldnt get to work in the Dell board at all, going to need to test them in one of my other slot 1 systems and see if I can get them to work at all. Some slotkets are all kinds of hit or miss.

Reply 28 of 78, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rootinit wrote on 2022-06-24, 17:00:
kaputnik wrote on 2022-06-24, 08:45:

Verify that the CPU VRM on those mobos actually can output the requested 1.75V. Datasheets are usually available online. The VRM simply won't output anything at all if it gets a VID signal it doesn't recognize, the CPU never gets power, and the computer will appear dead as a post.

If you can't find any datasheets, you could try setting the voltage to 1.8V. It's often the lower limit on older pre-Coppermine VRM:s. The very slight overvoltage shouldn't hurt the CPU.

The auto setting just passes VID from the CPU on, the signal will be the same as if you jumpered it to 1.75V.

I couldn't find that info from IBM. Unfortunately, setting to 1.8V and even 1.85V didn't resolve the issue. Just for kicks, I even put it at 2V, like a Katmai, and it still didn't work.

Ah, meant the datasheets for the VRM controller chips. You're not going to find those on IBM's or Dell's sites. I'd just try googling the VRM controller chip part number.

If it won't work at 1.8V, it's not very likely this really is the problem though.

Reply 29 of 78, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did some additional random BX / slocket testing on this issue...

...tested the Abit SlotKET!!! + SL5QV* as working in -

- Compaq 041CH ATX board (DeskPro EP / EB / SB) with no issues

- Abit BE6 ATX board with no issues, though Soft Menu can get a little screwy at POST, the processor is correctly identified in the OS (Speedsys & HWINFO)

- *Gigabyte GA-6BA Baby AT board with no issues, though this board revision never supported 1GHz so dropped to an 800MHz SL463

...tested the Dell XPS Txxx board + SL5QV on alternate slockets -

- QDI Socket 370 CPU Card (V5.0) works without issue

I now vaguely recall reading of issues with the Abit back in the day, and a Google search does pick up some similar symptoms in other online posts - SlotKET!!! + various BX boards = seemingly completely dead.

Reply 31 of 78, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gustl wrote on 2022-06-25, 12:30:

I had a very good experience with the slot adapter from MSI 6905.

Yeah, the MS-6905 Master is my goto slotket nowadays too, it never fails you. It can easily be modded for Tualatin aswell, since it has the necessary VID jumpers for voltages < 1.8 😀

Bought a bunch of them some years ago when they were really cheap. Someone must have found a few pallets of NOS 6905:s somewhere, and sold them out on Ebay for a few euros each. Maybe it's still possible to find them at reasonable prices?

Edit: Could definitely recommend OP to try one of those, if this lands in the Abit slotket being the cause of the problems.

Last edited by kaputnik on 2022-06-25, 13:04. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 33 of 78, by TehGuy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Grem Five wrote on 2022-06-25, 03:08:
I did test the 2 different generic slotkets I have and they both worked on the Dell board. […]
Show full quote

I did test the 2 different generic slotkets I have and they both worked on the Dell board.

qUQ9zXvl.jpg?1

I have 3 of these and they were like $10 USD off ebay a few years ago and they actually work with all jumpers set to Auto

by the by, apparently that's a Shuttle HOT-C003 from what I was told when I asked about mine.
Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today in case you also want the manual since it documents a few more dip switch settings

Win98+DOS: C3 Ezra-T 1.0AGHz / P3-S 1.26GHz, 128MB RAM, AWE64 + Orpheus + Audigy 2 ZS, Ti 4200, 128GB SD card
Win XP SP3: C2Q 9650, 4GB RAM, X-Fi Titanium, GTX 750
PowerMac G4 QS 800MHz + GeForce4 Ti4200, OS 9
PowerMac G5 DP 1.8Ghz + ATi x800 XT, Leopard

Reply 34 of 78, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TehGuy wrote on 2022-06-25, 13:49:
Grem Five wrote on 2022-06-25, 03:08:
I did test the 2 different generic slotkets I have and they both worked on the Dell board. […]
Show full quote

qUQ9zXvl.jpg?1

by the by, apparently that's a Shuttle HOT-C003 from what I was told when I asked about mine.
Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today in case you also want the manual since it documents a few more dip switch settings

My 3 came package just as yours did and I saved the printed sheets, I was never able to get it to work in dual mode in my supermicro hence why I got a 2nd ASUS s370-DL for that board.

Reply 35 of 78, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Grem Five wrote on 2022-06-25, 14:56:

My 3 came package just as yours did and I saved the printed sheets, I was never able to get it to work in dual mode in my supermicro hence why I got a 2nd ASUS s370-DL for that board.

The Shuttle Hot slotket most likely only supports dual mode with Mendocino celerons, not with Coppermines.
Your other slotket is a Super Slocket-III which may be produced by a firm called 'Aaronix' in Taiwan.

Reply 37 of 78, by rootinit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Basically, my main concern as of now, is finding a replacement slotket that I can try on the IBM. Does anyone know where I could purchase a Coppermine compatible slotket that might work here? I definitely appreciate the different reports right now, but unfortunately not sure how I could proceed otherwise.

Reply 38 of 78, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sounds like a MSI MS-6905 Master would be your best bet if you can find one... just dont get the Rev 1.0. I'm not sure but the last time I saw one for sale I think it went for about $50 USD on Ebay, about the same for an ASUS S370-DL.

I'm not sure where is a good place to look as almost everywhere stuff is harder and more expensive to find. It takes alot longer to find stuff now then it did even a few years back. (sorry not much help)

Reply 39 of 78, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Has anyone checked for the pin mods I mentioned on these sockets?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-