VOGONS

First post, by 1200XL M.U.L.E.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there!

First post here - so, hello world!

I’m going to start rebuilding some old systems from my more youthful days soon. AT cases seem to be a hard find. Will I be able to fit an AT motherboard into a modern ATX case? I think I read somewhere the motherboard mounting holes lines line up the case but I will need to leave the rear I/O port plate off in order to access the keyboard connector.

Is there a known case that works out well?

Do folks just 3D print or build out custom case solutions?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 11, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As drive bays vanish this is becoming more difficult--getting to the point you're going to be looking for new old stock or a used case even for ATX.

Two cases I've done this with are the Thermaltake V3 and Cooler Master Elite 350. Both are long-discontinued. The latter has a ridge to the right side of the motherboard that limits how wide a board that can fit into the case.

In addition to the I/O shield the other issue is the power switch. If you use an ATX power supply with an adapter, it's possible to replace the intermittent power switch in the case with a latching one. Or, you can forego the switch and just use the one on the back of the power supply.

Reply 2 of 11, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Basically you still can put an old AT board into the newest ATX case. Putting up drives is also less needed if you want to walk the CF route 😀

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 4 of 11, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How well something like SilverStone Grandia GD09 would work for this purpose? I was considering it some time ago.

One problem I see is that there is no room for both optical drive and floppy drive.

Reply 5 of 11, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One minor issue that you may encounter is ATX cases have 7 slots while AT cases have 8. So you won't be able to fully populate a motherboard with 8 slots unless you install a card with no ports in the last slot and remove the bracket.

Chenbro SR209 is a nice old school ATX case that is still available new.

Reply 6 of 11, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I need help figuring out a 3d print for putting a gotek in the atx shield and a slim cd. But otherwise it seems okay

ATX I/O shield models for 3D printing

Gotek in the I/O shield? With AT motherboard Need some 3D modeling help.

Re: Help me find the perfect computer case.

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 7 of 11, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Baoran wrote on 2022-06-27, 19:53:

How well something like SilverStone Grandia GD09 would work for this purpose? I was considering it some time ago.

One problem I see is that there is no room for both optical drive and floppy drive.

the GD07 has four 5 1/4" bays 😉

Reply 10 of 11, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
imi wrote on 2022-06-27, 20:43:
Baoran wrote on 2022-06-27, 19:53:

the GD07 has four 5 1/4" bays 😉

Yeah, but it is much bigger and costs almost double.

Reply 11 of 11, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mR_Slug wrote on 2022-06-27, 20:45:

I haven't really kept up with the modern world. Why do they put the PSU at the bottom now?

If talking about mine, it’s movable

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)