VOGONS

Reply 220 of 344, by christal87

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gen_angry wrote on 2022-06-21, 00:59:
DOS prompt has this weird grey background effect, like looking at a very old TV or watching something through composite. https:/ […]
Show full quote

DOS prompt has this weird grey background effect, like looking at a very old TV or watching something through composite.
dos1.png

Win 3.11 has the same issues more or less despite it's resolution.
win3.png

Using the voodoo is no different.
d2.png

I'm not sure if this is about what everyone else's aixxco adapters put out or did I get a fake clone?

I see some bars in the DOS prompt background, it could be noise. My WD Paradise graphics card is noisy like that and I've heared it used to be like that from factory. (Also I'm living in a 50Hz environment so no idea on 60Hz mains interference). Still at the prompt I can somewhat notice a slight ghosting. That might come from reflections or crosstalk in your VGA cable. My guess for the under/overscan (shifted image) in Windows is the Aixxco with not only the resolution, but a combination of the resolution on a particular refresh rate (the Aixxco adapter can't really set that actual timing or measures it wrong).

To get the most out of it use good quality cables (especially for the DSUB ended ones that carry analog VGA signals), fine tune colors/brightness on your HDMI capure device or do it in post processing. Last but not least try to find a low noise power supply for the Aixxco, but this setup will never be as crisp as with studio quality gear. It's just usable for a few modes. I'm happy that 70Hz DOS prompt at least works with el cheapo stuff, because a lot of other models out there don't even work on that mode (I have a Foinnex, that never worked, must be another revision). 😀 Look at my screenshots from OBS. It's different resolutions/modes captured on a 800x600 "scene" so it's upscaled. There's some under/overscan (picture is shifted in some modes). As most cheap USB capture devices these are basically a webcam combined with an HDMI frontend. I have to use some V4L2 commands on my linux box to tune it's settings every time I want to do some recording (better to use scripting here). These screenshots are captured in YUV (not MJPEG) made using a Cirrus graphics card without any fine tuning. Also I only used this aixxco for capture, so I have no good tips on directly connected monitor setups.

Attachments

Reply 221 of 344, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I went through the whole topic but I'm completely lost.
I have a an USB3 Capture card : Elgato HD60S+
I would like to capture my old rig, but this capture card only accept minimum 800x600 and at MAX 60HZ
So I need a converter/scaler or whatever that will convert MS-Dos console and games to 800x600 at 60Hz
According to previous posts even the OSSC will keep 70Hz signal so it won't help...

My Intel SE440BX-2 Intel's website Mirror : Modified to include docs, refs and BIOSes.
Proud owner of a TL866 II
Personal GitHub

Reply 222 of 344, by arizonapalms

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been really happy with the ATEN VC180, I use it to capture VGA with a HDMI capture card.
It supports DOS mode just fine, even though the specs don't mention any support of those resolutions.

https://assets.aten.com/product/quick_start_g … onverter_ug.pdf

Reply 223 of 344, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

looks like to be something that only converts VGA to Hdmi. I don't see any scaler feature. 😢

My Intel SE440BX-2 Intel's website Mirror : Modified to include docs, refs and BIOSes.
Personal GitHub

Reply 224 of 344, by christal87

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
arizonapalms wrote on 2022-06-30, 01:23:

I've been really happy with the ATEN VC180, I use it to capture VGA with a HDMI capture card.
It supports DOS mode just fine, even though the specs don't mention any support of those resolutions.

https://assets.aten.com/product/quick_start_g … onverter_ug.pdf

So the ATEN VC180 is well tested and modestly priced solution to say "just go for it", if you want a better solution than an el cheapo Aixxco dogle ( I mean no under/overscan and 70Hz problem out the HDMI port) and you're willing to spend a bit more?

Reply 225 of 344, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I need something that will output at 60Hz no matter the input Hz is ( like 70Hz in MS-DOS ) and at least scale to min 800x600
I ordered a RGB-HDMI 300 A but I'm not even sure it will do the job I need - even if I think it's something simple -

Personal GitHub

Reply 226 of 344, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NyLan wrote on 2022-06-30, 18:46:

Well, I need something that will output at 60Hz no matter the input Hz is ( like 70Hz in MS-DOS ) and at least scale to min 800x600
I ordered a RGB-HDMI 300 A but I'm not even sure it will do the job I need - even if I think it's something simple -

It will do exactly what you just described

Reply 227 of 344, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-06-30, 20:02:
NyLan wrote on 2022-06-30, 18:46:

It will do exactly what you just described

And it will do it very well . Highly recommended .

Reply 230 of 344, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-07-01, 00:55:

I would argue the OSSC is better but it's honestly a different use case

Please expand on different use case?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 231 of 344, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-07-01, 01:07:

Cheers,

The 300 normalizes everything to highly compatible timings. It's a true scaler. The OSSC is simply a line multiplier. So it depends on whether your display and/or capture card can handle 70Hz and non standard resolutions like 1280x960 and 1400x800. The OSSC also lacks adequate low pass filtering on the VGA input for some noisy ISA cards and can leave you with aliasing noise in your output

Reply 232 of 344, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The RGB-HDMI 300 will get your picture on a panel no worries. But it doesn't do integer scaling as far as I've been able to determine. So if you're fussy about crisp pixels, it may not be completely satsifying.

Reply 233 of 344, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-07-01, 01:12:

Cheers,

The 300 normalizes everything to highly compatible timings. It's a true scaler. The OSSC is simply a line multiplier. So it depends on whether your display and/or capture card can handle 70Hz and non standard resolutions like 1280x960 and 1400x800. The OSSC also lacks adequate low pass filtering on the VGA input for some noisy ISA cards and can leave you with aliasing noise in your output

I too prefer the OSSC, but for OP's use case (needing 60Hz on output from 70Hz on input ), the Extron is very likely one of the best (possibly THE best) reasonably accessible and affordable option.

Reply 234 of 344, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pierre32 wrote on 2022-07-01, 02:11:

The RGB-HDMI 300 will get your picture on a panel no worries. But it doesn't do integer scaling as far as I've been able to determine. So if you're fussy about crisp pixels, it may not be completely satsifying.

I wonder if one could "cheat" and force an RGB-HDMI 300 to sample 640x400@ as if it was 1280x800@70Hz . That would effectively line-double the input and reduce the amount of scaling being needed .

Reply 235 of 344, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

it doesn't really line double the input but you can set the capture input to be scaled not the the full output resolution but just a part of the i.e. 1080p output

but it requires a lot of fiddling with the settings to get this right, but in theory pixel perfect capture with the extron is possible, though that obviously only works with one resolution at a time.

there is no way to turn off filtering though, my solution to that was oversizing the capture in a integer scale and then rescaling it in OBS to the original resolution with point filtering.

Reply 236 of 344, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From my understanding, the OSSC will keep input's Hz.
At osme point I'll probably have to buy one, but for this case where I need to keep 60Hz, looks like RGB-HDMI 300 is the right solution

Personal GitHub

Reply 237 of 344, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NyLan wrote on 2022-07-01, 21:24:

From my understanding, the OSSC will keep input's Hz.
At osme point I'll probably have to buy one, but for this case where I need to keep 60Hz, looks like RGB-HDMI 300 is the right solution

Agreed on all points .

Reply 238 of 344, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2022-07-01, 02:13:
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-07-01, 01:12:

Cheers,

I too prefer the OSSC, but for OP's use case (needing 60Hz on output from 70Hz on input ), the Extron is very likely one of the best (possibly THE best) reasonably accessible and affordable option.

I would agree. If you need highly compatible output the 300 is the best choice hands down. The tradeoff is a slightly soft scale and a frame of lag.

Reply 239 of 344, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This and the VGA capture thread convinced me to get the 300A, and It's pretty decent once I manually dialed in the resolution, but I'm still seeing these vertical wiggly pixel lines
Any advice on how to fix those?