Common searches

What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 4080 of 5847, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Skyrim, but this time the SE as I want to get back into it so I can continue making mods for it. So I'm starting from "Hey, you're finally awake!" even though I ahd completed all DLC on Skyrim LE before 😋

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4081 of 5847, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I too am playing Skyrim, but the Anniversary Edition this time around. Already did main quest and dawnguard this play through, still have dragonborn and the creation club content to still go through. I'm also going for oblivion walker achievement again since I actually didn't get it on SE yet.

Reply 4082 of 5847, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retrogamerguy1997 wrote on 2022-06-21, 21:34:

I too am playing Skyrim, but the Anniversary Edition this time around. Already did main quest and dawnguard this play through, still have dragonborn and the creation club content to still go through. I'm also going for oblivion walker achievement again since I actually didn't get it on SE yet.

I didn't get the Anniversary upgrade, only the 4 free ones I got and I disabled/ignore 2 of them right away 😜 (the survival and fishing ones I have no interest in).
It was discounted from 20 to 15 euro, but then the full AE game was discounted from 50 to 20 euro or so, so I ended up getting neither 🤣. But tbf it doesn't seem to hold much content I'm interesting in.
I care most about new dungeons and new lands etc and am eagerly awaiting mods like Skyblivion and especially Beyond Skyrim 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 4083 of 5847, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yeah I tried survival mode and then disabled it after a bit. I also don't mess with fishing. some of the AE content in the upgrade though is neat. Duskfang/Dawnfang from Oblivion has been pretty nice weapon to have. Other than that, yeah I'm waiting on Beyond Skyrim. I got Bruma installed and will go explore that.

Reply 4084 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Terminator: Resistance
I've now played 15 hours in 15 days. I'm about to head to the Hollywood Hills level, which appears to be roughly 3/4 through the game. I have to say, this is one of the most fun FPS I've ever played. I'm really confused by the mixed reviews of this game, as it seems like a solid 85-90/100 to me.

Those of you who've played this know that just prior to the Hollywood Hills, the player encounters their first boss fight against an Infiltrator. I'm playing on Easy, and it was just hard enough for me that it was fun, but not frustrating. It takes a ton of damage, but is easy enough to evade by ducking behind things and using pillars to circle strafe it. But the combat is really secondary in this game, and not the main reason I enjoy it so much. It's the quality of the script, how the story unfolds, and all the exploration and stealth that makes this such a fun game for me.

Performance-wise, it really struggles in wide open places. My GPU is pretty much maxed out in these sections while my CPU usage is around 20%. I'm playing on an i7-4770 with 20GB RAM and a GTX1650 Super. I believe if I had more than 4GB VRAM, performance would smooth out, as it appears all the stutters happen during texture swapping, with the GPU constantly at just below 4GB used memory. But when textures are not swapping, framerates are almost always maxed at 60 with vsync on.

I highly recommend this game to FPS fans. I rank it right up there with my favorites -- the Metro and Wolfenstein series.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4085 of 5847, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote on 2022-06-25, 16:26:

I highly recommend this game to FPS fans. I rank it right up there with my favorites -- the Metro and Wolfenstein series.

I'd somehow never even heard of this game. Steam reviews do seem quite good though (it's sitting @ 92%).

And just in time for the Summer Steam sale @ 50% off.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 4086 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-06-25, 16:38:
clueless1 wrote on 2022-06-25, 16:26:

I'd somehow never even heard of this game. Steam reviews do seem quite good though (it's sitting @ 92%).

And just in time for the Summer Steam sale @ 50% off.

That's actually a good rating that I hadn't noticed (my version came from GOG). I'd seen that it only got 60% on Metacritic and 3.5/5 on gamefaqs. GOG rating is 4.3/5.

Reply 4087 of 5847, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've modded my Xbox360 and started playing through the "Gears of War" series and oh boy, do I have a lot of fun.

The first title was a bit klunky and the Unreal engine wasn't that well optimized for the 360 back then, but it was still fun.
The second one looks nice, they solved the framerate issues and optimized the gameplay. That creepy factory level was my favorite.
Now I started the third one and it looks even better. Not sure about the story yet, but we'll see.

Seems to be a good franchise.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 4088 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finished! Yay. Took me 25 hours and 14 minutes, tracked manually. By GOG's timer, it took 31 hours and 6 minutes. So apparently I left the game up and running for 6 hours while paused. Very satisfying end sequence, from the final battle to the final cutscenes. Quality written all over this game, I rank it in my top-5 all time favorite FPS games. I did play it on Easy and while many parts were easy, there were a few boss battles that were just right for me. Not too frustrating, not a cakewalk. I'd say the hardest fight for me was the HK Tank. It didn't seem to stay disabled long enough after a headshot for me to get around the back to hit his weak spot. It took a few tries before I got the hang of it.

I just love the exploration and stealth aspects of this game. You are often rewarded with early weapon upgrades for going out of your way to explore every square inch of the map. I also like the experience point system that earns you skill points for improving critical stats. So by picking locks that you don't have to (there are often other ways around said doors), you accelerate your experience point growth, which nets you more skill points sooner. Nice! As @liqmat mentioned in his review of the game, the daytime maps performed quite poorly compared to the nighttime ones. I spent a lot of time tweaking graphical options trying to find a sweet spot, but never did. It seemed mostly tied to VRAM overuse which lead to pauses during textrure swaps.

I'd say my least favorite aspect of the game was the Crafting system. It wasn't bad, just not motivating enough to invest time and skill points in. It was the skill I focused on least, but at the very end when I finally got my Crafting skill high enough, I was able to convert all the junk I'd been accumulating into a nice surplus of violet plasma ammo, health packs, and bombs. Probably the least useful items for me were the stim packs. Kind of like System Shock, they are injections that temporarily boost certain skills, but to use them they need to occupy a precious slot that I'd rather have medkits parked in. So I just sold them whenever I found any.

There is a hacking skill that you can develop to get past Skynet computers. Hilariously, it's basically a game of Frogger, or probably Crossy Road. But the inclusion of stealth, hacking, crafting, exploration and aliens did scratch that System Shock itch for me quite a bit! If you're a fan of System Shock and a fan of FPS games, you'll probably love this one.

Reply 4089 of 5847, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote on 2022-07-03, 12:24:
Terminator: Resistance Finished! Yay. Took me 25 hours and 14 minutes, tracked manually. By GOG's timer, it took 31 hours an […]
Show full quote

Finished! Yay. Took me 25 hours and 14 minutes, tracked manually. By GOG's timer, it took 31 hours and 6 minutes. So apparently I left the game up and running for 6 hours while paused. Very satisfying end sequence, from the final battle to the final cutscenes. Quality written all over this game, I rank it in my top-5 all time favorite FPS games. I did play it on Easy and while many parts were easy, there were a few boss battles that were just right for me. Not too frustrating, not a cakewalk. I'd say the hardest fight for me was the HK Tank. It didn't seem to stay disabled long enough after a headshot for me to get around the back to hit his weak spot. It took a few tries before I got the hang of it.

I just love the exploration and stealth aspects of this game. You are often rewarded with early weapon upgrades for going out of your way to explore every square inch of the map. I also like the experience point system that earns you skill points for improving critical stats. So by picking locks that you don't have to (there are often other ways around said doors), you accelerate your experience point growth, which nets you more skill points sooner. Nice! As @liqmat mentioned in his review of the game, the daytime maps performed quite poorly compared to the nighttime ones. I spent a lot of time tweaking graphical options trying to find a sweet spot, but never did. It seemed mostly tied to VRAM overuse which lead to pauses during textrure swaps.

I'd say my least favorite aspect of the game was the Crafting system. It wasn't bad, just not motivating enough to invest time and skill points in. It was the skill I focused on least, but at the very end when I finally got my Crafting skill high enough, I was able to convert all the junk I'd been accumulating into a nice surplus of violet plasma ammo, health packs, and bombs. Probably the least useful items for me were the stim packs. Kind of like System Shock, they are injections that temporarily boost certain skills, but to use them they need to occupy a precious slot that I'd rather have medkits parked in. So I just sold them whenever I found any.

There is a hacking skill that you can develop to get past Skynet computers. Hilariously, it's basically a game of Frogger, or probably Crossy Road. But the inclusion of stealth, hacking, crafting, exploration and aliens did scratch that System Shock itch for me quite a bit! If you're a fan of System Shock and a fan of FPS games, you'll probably love this one.

Do yourself a favor and do the DLC campaign. I would dare say it's almost better than the main campaign albeit much shorter.

Reply 4090 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote on 2022-07-03, 13:16:
clueless1 wrote on 2022-07-03, 12:24:
Terminator: Resistance Finished! Yay. Took me 25 hours and 14 minutes, tracked manually. By GOG's timer, it took 31 hours an […]
Show full quote

Do yourself a favor and do the DLC campaign. I would dare say it's almost better than the main campaign albeit much shorter.

Already on it, amigo. 😀

Reply 4091 of 5847, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote on 2022-07-03, 13:30:

Already on it, amigo. 😀

Suena bien compadre.

The Chapter 5: Bakersfield level is known to have optimization/performance issues in certain areas (stuttering, slowdowns, etc.) even on the beefiest of systems. So don't think it's your settings.

Reply 4092 of 5847, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Morrowind again, this game is summer for me. It runs good with graphics mods on my surface pro which I brought on a trip. The rest of the family goes to bed early so I have something to do. 😀

This is maybe my 8th attempt on the game, but I have never finished it without cheats.

Oh and I need to find myself a cliff racer mod (to get less of them!)

Reply 4093 of 5847, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joakim wrote on 2022-07-04, 16:48:

Morrowind again, this game is summer for me. It runs good with graphics mods on my surface pro which I brought on a trip. The rest of the family goes to bed early so I have something to do. 😀

This is maybe my 8th attempt on the game, but I have never finished it without cheats.

Oh and I need to find myself a cliff racer mod (to get less of them!)

I've heard some 'great' things about cliffracers 😜
Supposedly by the time Skyrim takes place, cliffracers may have gone extinct 😋

I never played Oblivion (waiting for Skyblivion to come out), so no idea if it has any mention of cliffracers.

Report spammers here!

Reply 4094 of 5847, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oblivion is underrated imo. It has some very good quests! The main quest had some very grindy elements though. There are probably mods that removes the repeating elements of it.

Reply 4095 of 5847, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dragon Warrior III is currently the focus, once I've beaten that, I've beaten all 4. Then I can start planning for LP's of II/III/IV to go with the LP of one I'm doing.

Might be devising a way to put dual-boot WIndows 10/Linux on one of my x86 machines so I can start LPing DOS games directly off my PC's again in some way.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 4096 of 5847, by Ethaniel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Into the Breach, mostly. I was playing Flashback (it was a gift on GOG recently), but now I'm stuck in the alien world. Morphs are absolutely brutal on Expert.

Joakim wrote on 2022-07-04, 17:20:

Oblivion is underrated imo. It has some very good quests! The main quest had some very grindy elements though. There are probably mods that removes the repeating elements of it.

The Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood quests are excellent.

Reply 4098 of 5847, by NovaCN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I remember not liking Oblivion as much as Morrowind or Skyrim but I never played it nearly as extensively so who knows how I'd feel if I were to pick it up again.

[Insert late-aughts overly-elaborate animated signature banner here]

Reply 4099 of 5847, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I played Oblivion for a while on PC and after the initial graphics wow was over it felt like the game felt like walking around on a procedurally generated generic fantasy world with random procedurally generated dungeons and level scaling foes. And after five or so hours in I realized that it was almost precisely exactly that. Then I stopped playing and never returned.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.