VOGONS

First post, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I know what the purpose of a turbo button is on a 486 PC, but my question is if a guy has the means to have multiple DOS PCs, say a 33 MHz system, a 66 MHz system, and a Pentium, is having a case with a turbo button really necessary? If I have 3 PCs at those speeds, am I missing much of anything without being able to cut the speed of the 33 MHz system? I don't imagine there are many, if any games I would care to play which are that old and speed sensitive, but maybe I should look at a list.

I'm just trying to decide if I should bother looking for a case with a turbo button, or just stick with the AT cases I already have which do not have one. I suppose I could always add a turbo button. If I am missing something obvious, it's because I don't have much experience with the 486 era.

Reply 1 of 8, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you sure your 486DX-33's BIOS doesn't provide turbo support from the keyboard? Control-Alt-Minus and Control-Alt-Plus?

You're likely to get hooked and end up building a 286 anyway 😁

Reply 2 of 8, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Next step is to find a nice lil 286 computer at 12-16MHz :p

Personally I think the turbo button is overrated. It sure works to slow down the system pretty well and you might get to 286 speed grade. You can also loosen ram timings, disable cache L1 and L2 seperately, lower the fsb and find yourself having more control over the speed actually.

If you want a turbo button get the cheapest one and mount it in the back of your case in a slot cover or where you can put a serial port. Alternatively you may drill a hole thru a 5,25" cover and put it there for easy access.

So if you really really really want to: go ahead and get yourself a (probably expensive) case with turbo, or be patient enough to wait (probably long) until you can get one for a low price.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 3 of 8, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2022-07-03, 18:57:

Are you sure your 486DX-33's BIOS doesn't provide turbo support from the keyboard? Control-Alt-Minus and Control-Alt-Plus?

You're likely to get hooked and end up building a 286 anyway 😁

I actually don't have a 486 system yet, but I'm beginning to find parts to put one together. I wasn't aware of the possible keyboard shortcut, good to know. One of the many things I've yet to learn about the pre Pentium era of PCs. And yeah you're right, I can almost guarantee once I get a couple of 486 systems built, I'll be looking to add more (older) systems. It's the nature of this hobby and my impulsiveness.

waterbeesje wrote on 2022-07-03, 19:15:

So if you really really really want to: go ahead and get yourself a (probably expensive) case with turbo, or be patient enough to wait (probably long) until you can get one for a low price.

Yeah that's where I'm going with this, I'm not keen on paying exorbitant prices for these things, so if having a case with a turbo button is trivial, I'll stop thinking about it and just scoop something up if/when I find a good deal. Plus as you stated there are options for adding a button for this purpose.

Reply 4 of 8, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From time to time, you'll find old AT cases on Amibay. More often than not, there will be something with a turbo button. Not sure what your price range is though, they mostly get sold from Eastern Europe, so depending where you are, shipping may be crippling. I usually buy 3 or 4 at a time (got as many as I can use now), to make shipping per case less scary 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 6 of 8, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Having the turbo button is much more important than actually using it.
Somebody needs to convert their turbo button to actually live up to its name. De-Turbo should be the rated system speed, and pressing TURBO should activate water cooling, powerful (and loud) exhaust fans and overclock the shit out of your CPU.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 7 of 8, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
waterbeesje wrote on 2022-07-03, 19:15:

If you want a turbo button get the cheapest one and mount it in the back of your case in a slot cover or where you can put a serial port.

I did this with one of those lamp white push switches screwed into an I/O plate with a circular hole (probably from one of those old Bus Mouse interfaces.)

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 8 of 8, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2022-07-03, 23:43:

Having the turbo button is much more important than actually using it.
Somebody needs to convert their turbo button to actually live up to its name. De-Turbo should be the rated system speed, and pressing TURBO should activate water cooling, powerful (and loud) exhaust fans and overclock the shit out of your CPU.

That's basically what i've done with my FrankenTandy. Except for water cooling and loud fans, of course. In fact i modded the PSU fan to use 5V instead of 12V and it has much less noise now.

A 8MHz -> 16.6Mhz is a pretty good overclock if you ask me.