VOGONS

Reply 182 of 353, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-06-28, 20:42:

I love how the ASIC brazenly declares itself to be PCI despite being on an ISA card

I wonder what that stands for in this case .

Reply 183 of 353, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Congratulations keropi and marmes. Amazing card, I can't recommend it highly enough.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 185 of 353, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I love how the ASIC brazenly declares itself to be PCI despite being on an ISA card

🤣 yeah
My guess is that these chips were meant for motherboard integration and everyone back then would like their SoundPRO chip to be of the PCI variety , makes for good marketing as having CMI8330 printed on them does not say much to potential customers

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 186 of 353, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mihai wrote on 2022-06-28, 22:31:

The pcmidi addon is a different purchase, or is it included in the 90 eur initial cost? (Availability issues notwithstanding)

Nope, 90e is the shipped price for the soundcard alone

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 187 of 353, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote on 2022-06-29, 05:14:

🤣 yeah
My guess is that these chips were meant for motherboard integration and everyone back then would like their SoundPRO chip to be of the PCI variety , makes for good marketing as having CMI8330 printed on them does not say much to potential customers

The fact that back then (as now for us retro fans) ISA audio was actually better in most ways makes that even more ironic.

I really do wonder about PC Chips relabeling in general. I can understand they want to obfuscate stuff when being less than honest about what they are selling (fake cache), or when they are imitating a more expensive part ("TXPro" chipsets), or using unlicensed clones (eg LS-212 for fake OPL3), but they also did it when there was absolutely no point in terms of marketing, licensing or plain fraud. It wasn't just these sound chips, they even relabeled the BIOS EEPROMs. When did anyone ever base a purchasing decision for a motherboard on the exact make and model of BIOS EEPROM? Even the most bona-fide brands tended to have an AMI/Award sticker covering that info. It's almost as if they were so used to never being honest they just continued faking it even when there was no reason at all.

Reply 188 of 353, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Aside the cache scams I think that some big head at pc-chips just wanted for them to appear different and unique: this would also explain the white ISA slots, the "gold" psu connectors and weird colors in general.
Order a large quantity and factories have no issues using non-standard colors or print your markings on some chip...
but you have to admin dionb - soundpro looks better than CMI8330 🤣 🤣 🤣

Reply 189 of 353, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could it be that the IC producers wanted to have nothing to do with PCChips, ie. not tarnish their own name by supplying chips to a shit motherboard? Take VIA for example, they take a lot of flak for being a bad chipset producer when most of the fault was due to shit-grade board partners who flooded the market with out of spec budger boards..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 190 of 353, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote on 2022-06-29, 10:31:

[...]

but you have to admin dionb - soundpro looks better than CMI8330 🤣 🤣 🤣

Of course, why do you think I specifically want a card with the Soundpro-labeled chip? 😜

appiah4 wrote on 2022-06-29, 10:56:

Could it be that the IC producers wanted to have nothing to do with PCChips, ie. not tarnish their own name by supplying chips to a shit motherboard? Take VIA for example, they take a lot of flak for being a bad chipset producer when most of the fault was due to shit-grade board partners who flooded the market with out of spec budger boards..

Not so convinced. A lot of the issues were specifically pinned on Via after issues which were (also) seen on high-profile big-brand boards. Think MVP3 driver hell and AGP power problems on FIC PA-2013, and 686B vs SBLive issues on Asus and Abit flagship ApolloPro133A and KT133 boards.

Dubious boards with Via were dubious, but no one could be sure it wasn't just flaky board design.

Ironically of course the AGP power issue on PA-2013 weren't chipset related and the "Via SB" issue was at least as much about Creative using Intel-proprietary PCI extensions as any engineering faults on Via's part. But in both cases the shit stuck with Via.

Reply 191 of 353, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Beautiful!

It has long been a thought that this chip is full of promise.. but most implementations are high on the promise and low on the delivery, various bugs and issues, or being integrated into a flaky something else which doesn't exactly enhance the user experience. So a thoughtful remake with decent parts should make it awesome.

Had a May of misfortune and a jinxed June, so my credit card has taken a hammering, so gotta see where I am in a month or two before I order.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 193 of 353, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
heckyeah wrote on 2022-06-30, 08:20:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2gsHUwhFl8

The ctrl-alt-rees video is out

That's a very nice and thorough review.

I recently started following that channel and he has some great retro content on there.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 195 of 353, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got mine and it's awesome, cleaner sound than any old card I've tried! A bit of a tight fit in the ISA slot, at first it wasn't detected because I hadn't jammed it in hard enough. I do hope that UniSound will eventually support it for easier card switching, though.

Last edited by Oetker on 2022-07-02, 21:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 198 of 353, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Schyz wrote on 2022-07-04, 00:08:

Hi, is there any known compatibility issues with any DOS game?

I have not found any so far but it is unavoidable that some game(s) will need some workaround or they will only work with specific WSS or SB settings ... It's the nature of all compatible chips that some quirks will exist.

Reply 199 of 353, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote on 2022-07-04, 04:08:
Schyz wrote on 2022-07-04, 00:08:

Hi, is there any known compatibility issues with any DOS game?

I have not found any so far but it is unavoidable that some game(s) will need some workaround or they will only work with specific WSS or SB settings ... It's the nature of all compatible chips that some quirks will exist.

Here are a couple of games which gave me trouble on my integrated CMI8330. Now, I can't be certain if that was due to the sound card itself or because of the PC Chips motherboard that it was on. But it might be worth investigating how these work on the MK8330:

• Stonekeep (retail CD version patched to 1.2)
  • Mortal Kombat 1 (floppy version with FM synth music)
  • Jagged Alliance 1
  • Chaos Engine (reported by Gerwin)

Maybe someone who has the MK8330 can run a few of these and see if the aforementioned issues manifest on the standalone card.

P.S.

I also noticed that the CMI8330 card's WSS mode didn't work correctly in certain games like Space Quest V and Red Alert when WSS DMA was set to 0. Both games worked fine with WSS DMA set to 1. Again, this could be due to the PC Chips motherboard, rather than the card itself.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi