VOGONS

tie fighter(cd edition)

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by squish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi . got som major problems with starting tie fighter (CD edition) . getting problems with the vesa driver thing .any idea how to fix it. ran out of them after 40 tests :].. keeps telling me "do you wish to run UNIVBE to emulate VESA BIOS" y/n noting get right . and then "loading tie fighter" then it stops.

and i am running Win XP pro ENG with sp1 on a amd 1ghz,384mb ram .

\magnus

Reply 1 of 7, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

UNIVBE IS EVIL. Choose "NO", heh. Try NOLFB, written by Ken Silverman. It's available on his website. Google for it, I don't have the URL offhand. Please tell us if it fixes the problem, or if simply choosing "NO" for UNIVBE fixes it. 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hopefully, it's not like my problem I had with "HARDLINE". That title insisted it knew best about what to do with VESA video, attempted to auto-install UniVBE whenever I tried to choose VESA.

NOLFB didn't help because (apparently) the programmers presumed that any video card not recognized must use UniVBE. I'm suspicious that this would be true for any program that attempts to activate UniVBE within the game installer.

Reply 4 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover Flight Unlimited gives you the OPTION to install UniVBE...

Well I guess that depends on how it behaves when you decline this "option".

For "HARDLINE", it just drops back to low-resolution. I have found no way (other than hacking the game files, perhaps...) to choose VESA without choosing UniVBE.

Does "Tie Fighter" have the option to use plain VGA?

Reply 5 of 7, by Slumlord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tie Fighter can run VGA but from what I remember there is a different solution.

Try this, does your computer have more than one hard drive or is partitioned? If so when you install Tie Fighter to any other drive letter besides C: then that error shows up. Try installing Tie Fighter on the C: drive.

Tie Fighter will always stick a file called TIE.CD on your C: drive no matter where you install the game. Take this file and move it over to the same drive as where you installed Tie Fighter (but do NOT put this file into the TIECD directory) and that may also fix the problem if you can't install the game onto the C: drive.

It worked for me since I wanted to play the game and I was too cheap to buy the updated Windows version. Uh, you were talking about the DOS version... right?

This space for rent.

Reply 6 of 7, by squish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Slumlord wrote:
Tie Fighter can run VGA but from what I remember there is a different solution. […]
Show full quote

Tie Fighter can run VGA but from what I remember there is a different solution.

Try this, does your computer have more than one hard drive or is partitioned? If so when you install Tie Fighter to any other drive letter besides C: then that error shows up. Try installing Tie Fighter on the C: drive.

Tie Fighter will always stick a file called TIE.CD on your C: drive no matter where you install the game. Take this file and move it over to the same drive as where you installed Tie Fighter (but do NOT put this file into the TIECD directory) and that may also fix the problem if you can't install the game onto the C: drive.

It worked for me since I wanted to play the game and I was too cheap to buy the updated Windows version. Uh, you were talking about the DOS version... right?

thanks for the idea there :] .. works darn good .. i have reached the top of all good things in life now :] ..