VOGONS

First post, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello all

I am thinking of adding another gpu in this build (My Socket LGA775 Build (XP/Vista/7)) for physx

- not sure what card would work best and to fit within this build
- what extra power requirements it might need (maybe 1000w psu) - i was thinking of something like a gtx 470

was also thinking of sli setup but since finding the exact same card is not easy and was wondering something
- if i get the same card, just a different brand, would they play nice with each other (like with the current kfa2 and use a palit) or do they need to be the exact same brand of card

UPDATE

the main reason i am asking is because i do have few games on xp/vista/7 that can use physx and the most recent game that can run on the build is batman arkham city - so 2011-2012 is the max era for this build

arkham city get max fps in 50s but averages at 38-42 fps with the gtx 580

- that with dx11 features turned on
- settings turned to highest (anti aliasing at fxaa)
- physx set normal

for physx setting set to high - it says that a "gtx 570 and a dedicated gtx 460 or better is recommended"

also see if also helps with og Mafia 2

if that helps or another gtx 580 in sli will be better just not sure if different brands of that same model with play nice with each other

Last edited by Robhalfordfan on 2022-07-14, 11:44. Edited 6 times in total.

Reply 2 of 6, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-07-12, 11:40:

9800GT ECO/9800GTX/GTS 250. Boom. Done.

would that be enough for games like og mafia 2, batman arkham asylum and city and would my current psu have enough power to drive both cards and pc or would i need change a bigger wattage

Reply 3 of 6, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can get a hold of a 4GB GeForce 960 - the last XP-supported card from Nvidia - and it will run just fine in your rig, as it uses less power than the behemoth you have in there. It's GPU can handle any and all XP gaming you throw at it and does PhysX perfectly.

Reply 4 of 6, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2022-07-13, 15:15:

You can get a hold of a 4GB GeForce 960 - the last XP-supported card from Nvidia - and it will run just fine in your rig, as it uses less power than the behemoth you have in there. It's GPU can handle any and all XP gaming you throw at it and does PhysX perfectly.

thank you for suggesting that and I was thinking of changing out the card to later one but wouldn't that lose compatibly with older dx9 games since my current card can run dx9 games no problem even some dx8 games run fine (with odd minor graphic glitches - nothing major) and also some games hate cards larger than 2gb vram out the box and don't want to start using third party/fan patches otherwise may aswell use my modern win 10 pc but time may tell one day, just have a mess about 😀

Last edited by Robhalfordfan on 2022-07-14, 10:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 6, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There shouldn't be any real issues running a 4GB 960 in your XP rig, so long as the drivers and OS are fully updated, and you can certainly run a 2GB model, if you prefer. The 4GB card will simply give you the overhead room to run all graphics settings for XP titles at maximum, without worrying about performance, unless you're going above 2K resolution.

Reply 6 of 6, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2022-07-13, 17:56:

There shouldn't be any real issues running a 4GB 960 in your XP rig, so long as the drivers and OS are fully updated, and you can certainly run a 2GB model, if you prefer. The 4GB card will simply give you the overhead room to run all graphics settings for XP titles at maximum, without worrying about performance, unless you're going above 2K resolution.

ok and no 2k and i use old crt monitor with a switcher for all my retro rigs and resolutions is 1024x768 (xp/vista/7), 800x600 (win98), 640x480 & below (win95/win3.11/dos 6.22) but might switch the xp/vista/7 rig to full hd monitor in future