VOGONS

Cost of living strikes!!!!

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 73, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I have a 220-240V / 32 amp electrical system at my home, but I still won't ever buy a GPU that eats more than 300W (and even at 300W, there are probably transient spikes that reach 500W or more).

600W GPUs?! That's insane! Right as I'm typing this, the air conditioner that keeps my room nice and cool at 21 degrees C (even though there are 33 degrees C outside) is drawing 825W, as shown at the wall by the power meter. There's no way that I will ever have a GPU that comes close to an air conditioner... not even if they give it to me for free! 🤣

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 22 of 73, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-07-16, 12:19:

How about 300W CPUs from Intel? 🤣

Also hard pass 😁

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155

Reply 23 of 73, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bloodem wrote on 2022-07-16, 12:28:
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-07-16, 12:19:

How about 300W CPUs from Intel? 🤣

Also hard pass 😁

Hmmm I don't know I'm running a 10980Xe and I can say its a damn fine CPU and it'll happily eat through 500watts at full use, for what it gets used for its been the best purchase I have made recently.

Yea I know I could have gone with 3000 Threadripper but with the way AMD has been handling it of late I'm glad I didn't, X399 got the shaft by AMD far too quickly and now no more Threadrippers unless you want to shackle yourself to Lenovo. There was also the stupid cost of Threadripper here in Australia with their lowest spec 3k model costing more than the 10980Xe and motherboard combined.

Last edited by TrashPanda on 2022-07-16, 12:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 24 of 73, by A001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Even if the efficiency is poor, my PIII 866 & GF2 only eats ~70W from the wall in 3Dmark 2000. It is possible to crank the numbers up with multiple drives, cards, fans, etc though. I should use it more often.

Reply 26 of 73, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-07-16, 12:44:

Hmmm I don't know I'm running a 10980Xe and I can say its a damn fine CPU and it'll happily eat through 500watts at full use, for what it gets used for its been the best purchase I have made recently.

Yea I know I could have gone with 3000 Threadripper but with the way AMD has been handling it of late I'm glad I didn't, X399 got the shaft by AMD far too quickly and now no more Threadrippers unless you want to shackle yourself to Lenovo. There was also the stupid cost of Threadripper here in Australia with their lowest spec 3k model costing more than the 10980Xe and motherboard combined.

Well, you are talking about the HEDT market, though. People/companies who buy these platforms usually buy them for productivity, so they already know what to expect (and high power consumption is part of the deal).
However, when talking about the normal user/desktop enthusiast market... things are vastly different. Most people will choose the sweet spot for performance, power consumption and, last but not least... $$$. 😀

Reply 27 of 73, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This post reminded me of this https://ssj3gohan.tweakblogs.net/blog/6 ... lish).html

mux modded the hardware, underclocked & undervolted, so it runs at 8.5W, core i3-530 etc... Story from eleven years ago.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 28 of 73, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For over 10 years, I have personally drawn the line at 150ish watts for a graphics cards. I am a bit flexible on this, as I do have an RTX 2070.

On the CPU front, I have an i9 9900K and have used an i7 930 . The 9900K is likely the upper bound of where I will go on the CPU thermal front .

By the way, I live in Quebec which, AFAIK, has pretty much the lowest power cost in North America, so it isn't so much a question of cost for me, as it is a practical one. In the Summer, I don't want my AC unit to be having a deathmatch with my PC 😉 .

Reply 29 of 73, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2022-07-16, 15:12:

For over 10 years, I have personally drawn the line at 150ish watts for a graphics cards.

Same thing here. I don't think I ever even used a graphics card that drew more than that. Currently I'm using a lowly NV 1050 and I'm ok with that. I can run what I want to run just fine right now, which is often older games anyway so I really don't need a €800 powerhouse.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 30 of 73, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bloodem wrote on 2022-07-16, 11:58:

Well, I have a 220-240V / 32 amp electrical system at my home, but I still won't ever buy a GPU that eats more than 300W (and even at 300W, there are probably transient spikes that reach 500W or more).

600W GPUs?! That's insane! Right as I'm typing this, the air conditioner that keeps my room nice and cool at 21 degrees C (even though there are 33 degrees C outside) is drawing 825W, as shown at the wall by the power meter. There's no way that I will ever have a GPU that comes close to an air conditioner... not even if they give it to me for free! 🤣

Well nvidia the garbage company can go fuck themselves, intel too.. Since AMD released ZEN II and RDNA II they did become the better brand, meanwhile both intel and nvidia releases HOT and expensive piece of shits... No need even to bring things like the many dead RTX 2080/TI and the multiple problems on RTX 3090s....

These days full modern AM4/ AM5 system with Radeon card makes the only sense, every idiot outhere that talk how important the shitty RT and DLSS is, dont know what he is talking about, + AMD got FSR 2.0 that is 95% the same as DLSS 2.0... Not to mention a customer need to be in order to buy nvidia or intel:

1. fanboy
2. someone that dont know anything about computers
3. someone that was lied from a salesman or a forum fanboys

Radeon 6800XT for example makes tons of sense compared to RTX 3080 that is more hot and have less vRAM, 3080TI, 3090 are even dumber cards, and 3090TI is no comment hot garbage.. 6900XT also sucks and 6950XT.. (too bad these fuckers did not release 6850XT...)

No one need to buy these hot and expensive not power efficient intel/ nvidia garbage, or the AMD ones that make no sense like 6900XT. As the cost of living these days, food, bills everything gets more and more expensive, it is straight dumb.. But there are some bitcoin fucker millionaires or the ones that are at least somehow rich from bitcoin or other stuff they dont care much how much they will spend on high end computer system or anything else, like shitty Iphones... But i think we need to stack food, as in the comming years i bet there may be even not enough supply of food, and that will be the real problem.. As i think the things with Ukraine and the war there and everything else in that shitty world will first become MUCH worse, before getting any better......

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 32 of 73, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
zapbuzz wrote:

until crisis is over and hopefully sooner than later.

Won't happen next 10 years. And that's very optimistic. Currently, we're living in downward spiral scenario, which may get dramatically grimmer, if weather cataclysms and large scale conflicts will persist.
But hey, front row seat to the end of world (as we know it) spectacle also worth something.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 33 of 73, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If anyone can explain regarding energy, what's that insane anti-atomic energy stuff Germany pushes? Why do they rather use coal and peat than that? Did Fukushima frightened them so much? Isn't it a little irresponsible considering the times we live through? As far as I'm aware they also had Thorium reactors which are a lot safer and a lot more fuel efficient.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 34 of 73, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Average citizen is too dumb and/or misinformed about atomic energy. Most probably still think that radioactive waste is glowing green goop and reactor failure can cause nuclear explosion. And politicians cater to populism quite often. But you know, access to cheap fossil fuels and gas for decades also has something to do with this. Greed and stupidity goes hand in hand.

Reply 35 of 73, by Digidreamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry not happy about nuclear, just as dirty as coal in the long term and a lot more expensive than coal from cradle to grave(taking it out of the ground. Building the station, reprocessed many times, till it's all back in the ground, secured till activity reaches background level) even fusion creates radioactive waste in the containment, there's more the just about CO2, but we're stuck with it. Even hydro has it's down side, can affect the earth's rotation due to shifting mass.

I see black..

physics is not friendly

I Like Charity Shops, they're like steam and GOG but cheaper.

Windows 7 - HP730 Air cooled, 8Gb, GT1030
Windows 98se - Wyse V10LE 1.2Ghz, 1 Gb, 16Gb SSD
Windows 98se - Compaq Evo 550d SSF, P4 2Ghz, 1Gb, 60Gb(Partitioned)
Dos 6.2 - HP7510 512Mb, 4Gb

Reply 37 of 73, by mR_Slug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Part of the problem with fuel, at least here is that 1/4 of the price is tax that they subsidize green stuff with. They have been using subsidies for years and fundamentally they are still expensive tech. Meanwhile phones are so cheap every kid has one. The subsidies offset the market need to bring the price down. If you could get a solar install for like 1500 then loads of people could afford one.

But the real problem is the continuous printing of money, or increasing the money supply. This is what causes inflation, and increasing interest rates traditionally counters its effects. But now that is likely to lead to even more problems. The trouble is they keep measuring the pound against the dollar, and euro against the pound, and the dollar against the euro. But they all keep falling and falling against materiel items such as gold, silver, tables, bread, etc. When was the last time you saw negative inflation? It never happens. If you were to put 100 dollar/pound/etc in a safe in 1950 and take it out in 2000 the money would be worthless compared to when you put it in. Keynesian economic policy today would frighten even Keynes.

tl;dr: Things aren't more expensive, our money is just worth less.

The Retro Web | EISA .cfg Archive | Chip set Encyclopedia

Reply 39 of 73, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mR_Slug wrote:

When was the last time you saw negative inflation?

That's called deflation.