User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerry wrote on 2022-07-15, 13:26:
i liked the quotation in the bbc article: […]
Show full quote

i liked the quotation in the bbc article:

"on the other hand, it may feel like buying a mug and having to rent the handle"

and yet this is how things are moving in all things that have digital controllability

hopefully car customer will be smarter... ? possibly not, they (companies that want this) are not interested in customers who are not used to this idea - the next generation is being trained to not actually own the thing they pay for

I remember being driven in a Mercedes-Benz during kindergarten. Yes, my dad had one, but it was when the manufacturer was still synonymous with German engineering instead of hip-hop culture. I wonder if BMW has suffered the same thing. I believe people who buy BMW for status symbol --instead of those looking for quality cars-- wouldn't really mind suffering micro-transactions and subscription plans, as long as they can impress their neighbors with their blingy-bling-bling new BMW.

Unfortunately, it seems most buyers are irrational these days. I remember knowing someone who buys Apple not because of Apple's technical merits, but simply because "progressively minded people use Apple". So, as long as irrational buyers dominate the market, I'm afraid "features" like micro-transactions and subscription plans are here to stay.

I miss the days where people act like my parents and grandparents, who bought things based on quality and technical merits. Perhaps I'm just too old for this crazy world. Perhaps I just hate this "brave new world" we're living in today.

RandomStranger wrote on 2022-07-16, 06:55:

Old cars aren't necessarily unreliable. They are also much simpler, less things to break and easier to fix.

THIS.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 23 of 28, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Grzyb wrote:

the most reasonable limit would be 0 km/h

Well, actually yes. That would most effective solution to avoid crashes. But since it's not ideal for squishy meatbags transportation, have to compromise.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2022-07-16, 09:33. Edited 2 times in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 24 of 28, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2022-07-16, 08:12:

I miss the days where people act like my parents and grandparents, who bought things based on quality and technical merits. Perhaps I'm just too old for this crazy world. Perhaps I just hate this "brave new world" we're living in today.

I'm the same way, and I'm 30 years old...

Atleast, I can relatively be free of most of this stuff in the software world because I don't forsee Linux ever degenerating into this. Steam isn't much of a threat either.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 25 of 28, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Grzyb wrote on 2022-07-16, 06:41:
...or until it breaks beyond repairs. It's already 16 years old - is it still as reliable as a new car? Sure, it's perfectly pos […]
Show full quote
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-07-16, 00:10:

I'll keep my 2006 Toyota Tacoma (and the C5 z06 Corvette I plan to buy) until I'm too old to drive or until I die, whichever comes first.

...or until it breaks beyond repairs.
It's already 16 years old - is it still as reliable as a new car?
Sure, it's perfectly possible to use even a >100 y.o. car, but using it as a daily driver must be torment...

I've rebuilt engines, transmissions, differentials, I changed my Camaro from front drum brakes to front disc brakes, upgraded it from a four speed to a five speed transmission, on and on it goes. I'm ready for anything.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 26 of 28, by ptr1ck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This shit ain't new, see OnStar....

If my wife locks her keys in her 2014 Impala, she has to sub to OnStar. There is no physical key hole in the doors and another fob will not operate the car if it's locked with it running from another fob. I'm not sure I'll ever buy another GM product. My RAM at least has a physical key hole in the drivers door for such emergencies.

"ITXBOX" SFF-Win11
KT133A-NV28-V2 SLI-DOS/WinME

Reply 27 of 28, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sony mirrorless cameras had downloadable apps - many of which they charge you for, and they cannot be transferred to other cameras. Really annoying to pay £2k for a camera and then find if you want to do say a timelapse you need to pay another £8 for the app for the camera. Even more for some other capabilities. I can't see they make much from this, it's just a weird way to carry on.

Other companies give free firmware upgrades, and it looks like Sony eventually abandoned it for newer cameras looking at the cameras supported. But still, they tried (lol). Not sure whether new cameras simply cannot use the apps (and don't have the corresponding functionality built in).

Reply 28 of 28, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What's worrying is this feature (listed on a UK website as a UK feature and also coming to South Korea?) being present on these cars in 10 years time. For context in the UK the average age of a car on the road in the road is 8.4 years, there are 10 million cars older than 2008 out of 32 million total.

We all know how well DRM and online services for old games and platforms works out - looking at you Games for Windows, Ubisoft games, Sony turning off the Vita store, etc. How well will the service work to use these features be in 14 years time? For instance it's already happening on 3G connected cars in the US:
https://www.thedrive.com/tech/43187/how-the-3 … -screw-your-car

I'm not very into new cars so I think if I ever was shopping for one I'd be shocked at how... connected / app based / per-month based / data-based they are.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC