Common searches

The moment you were hooked

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 68, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was 5 years old in 1987 when my dad purchased an IBM XT at work. They were replacing their computers and selling older ones to employees. I was instantly fascinated and hooked, and it never stopped and pushed me towards a career in IT.

The best memory was the day my dad brought home a sound blaster 2.0, probably in 92, after years of pc speaker. First game launched was Space Quest 3 (see avatar 😁 ), then King's Quest 4. I was blown away to another dimension. Then we toyed for hours with parrot, Dr. Sbaitso (spelling?) and all the other SB goodies.

Good times 😀

Reply 61 of 68, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Boohyaka wrote on 2022-06-27, 13:45:

I was 5 years old in 1987 when my dad purchased an IBM XT at work. They were replacing their computers and selling older ones to employees. I was instantly fascinated and hooked, and it never stopped and pushed me towards a career in IT.

The best memory was the day my dad brought home a sound blaster 2.0, probably in 92, after years of pc speaker. First game launched was Space Quest 3 (see avatar 😁 ), then King's Quest 4. I was blown away to another dimension. Then we toyed for hours with parrot, Dr. Sbaitso (spelling?) and all the other SB goodies.

Good times 😀

Quality time spent with parents, siblings, friends or spouses discovering the magic of PC gaming could be a big part of the experience, IMHO .

Reply 62 of 68, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Friend had a 386 or 486, and we played MSDOS version of Sim City, I was probably in 5th grade and never really used a PC before then. (We had an Apple IIc at home and man, looking back I wish we never threw that away.)

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 64 of 68, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

From outside the PC world looking in, it did seem like that, 10 years all at once. Because users of 8 bit and other systems weren't seeing the graphics capability on PCs for some years until VGA got widespread enough for it to be worth programming for VGA only... otherwise it looked kinda like what you could run on a C64. Not much advantage was taken with the larger memory for ages either. Probably 1987 you could look in a games store and see the same arcade licenses for C64 and PC and the PC version looked worse, never mind if the engine actually ran smooth and you didn't need to load each stage from tape. Then of course you maybe only had the PC speaker until people caught on to sound cards, and actually bought them. Anyway, it suddenly seemed to jump early 90s from games that you could play just as well on your 8 bit, to stuff that really used the PC and really used VGA, even if stuff worked on VGA it maybe still had EGA colors for some years because a whole re-colored VGA version wasn't thought worth it. I'm using "seemed" a lot, because one can probably pull out titles here and there that "prove me wrong" but they were hiding pretty well in the "run of the mill" stuff when you looked at them on store shelves in the day... maybe they made the box art too flashy, a thing that made you instantly suspicious of the quality of the actual in game graphics had you bought many games in the 80s.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 65 of 68, by MarkP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not a big gamer myself. More intererest in how the software interacted with the hardware/graphics and expansion cards. Computers in general where Played Eye of the Beholder on cold wet winter nights. All the late 80s/early 90s games like KGB(Conspiracy in the US I believe) Tornado, 688 Attack Sub and quite a few Activision as well as Seira titles.. A lot of the the side scolling shareware titles where fun as well as Wolfenstien 3D. But it was 7th Guest that really blew me away irt graphics AWESOME!

Reply 67 of 68, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dolenc wrote on 2022-07-18, 23:17:

I was at a friends house, he had a laptop (I had no pc at that time), we played Death rally. I really really needed to pee, but i also wanted to finish the race.

So I finished the race...

"Let's go!"

Cool game, I have it in big box but I had lost my touch when I last played it.