VOGONS

Reply 40 of 852, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Awesome that it is working! Having both means you can playback/record with the Crystal part and use the Synth of the Gravis part. The SoundBlaster/Adlib values in the properties are ignored I assume when disabled in the EEPROM?

YouTube

Reply 41 of 852, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How many resources (IRQs, DMAs etc.) would be needed for a configuration for games, that maximizes available devices (so that I don't have to switch them), but minimizes resources they use (I don't need full duplex for games, which AFAIK should allow sharing some resources). I assume:
- 1 IRQ and 1 DMA (low/high?) for the Crystal output (SB/WSS included)
- 1 IRQ for the InterWave synth, what about DMAs: 1 or 2, I see from the screenshots they can be "high".
- is an IRQ needed for MPU-401? I never really understood this. Shouldn't it only be required if I use MIDI IN? When I did some tests, Windows 95 always assigned an IRQ to MPU-401 devices.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 42 of 852, by underthebridge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, this looks so sweet!! 😃

To be clear- is the MPU intelligent mode like the PCMidi card and does it use the musicquest drivers?

Say at a given time I wanted to, for instance, use just GUS + Crystal part, or GUS + OPL3, or GUS by itself to save resources. Would it conflict if driver is disabled in windows?

Thanks!

Reply 43 of 852, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey, keep going like this and I'm going to have to downgrade my holiday hotel and travel options... 😉

Is this coming before the AdLib Gold replica, or afterwards?

Reply 44 of 852, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GL1zdA wrote on 2022-07-19, 14:36:
How many resources (IRQs, DMAs etc.) would be needed for a configuration for games, that maximizes available devices (so that I […]
Show full quote

How many resources (IRQs, DMAs etc.) would be needed for a configuration for games, that maximizes available devices (so that I don't have to switch them), but minimizes resources they use (I don't need full duplex for games, which AFAIK should allow sharing some resources). I assume:
- 1 IRQ and 1 DMA (low/high?) for the Crystal output (SB/WSS included)
- 1 IRQ for the InterWave synth, what about DMAs: 1 or 2, I see from the screenshots they can be "high".
- is an IRQ needed for MPU-401? I never really understood this. Shouldn't it only be required if I use MIDI IN? When I did some tests, Windows 95 always assigned an IRQ to MPU-401 devices.

The resources of the IW can be reduced. Joystick, MPU, IDE, SB emulation etc can be turned off as well as resources for recording. You can use 1 IRQ and 1 (high preferred) DMA.
For the Crystal part 1 IRQ and 1 (low) DMA.
The MPU part uses an IRQ as well AFAIK.

YouTube

Reply 45 of 852, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another exciting card! 😁

I'll echo the question about if this is planned before the Adlib Gold clone? Regardless, I'll start setting aside from cash for both of these.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 47 of 852, by Velociraptor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll definitely be getting one of these. I hope lots and lots of people do so that there's good knowledge of how to get everything working on it. I'm no expert at all on GUS but it seems there's some footering about that needs to be done!

Reply 53 of 852, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Congrats once more ~

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 54 of 852, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@halfmoon
only if game has an option to flip stereo

@Nikita Lita
if you enable GUS MPU401 and assign it resources that are not occupied and load it's MPU401 driver it will work just fine - the limitations on the IW are only on physical connectors that do not exist - meaning there is no way to use IW for joystick since there is no joystick port for it

@copymaker
debug jumpers, they will be removed in final version

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 55 of 852, by halfmoon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are digital samples going to be filtered (lowpass?) like the Creative SoundBlaster cards? Personally, I like no/little filtering like the Yamaha Audician 32 Plus cards. Not sure how many people share this view.

Reply 56 of 852, by hasnopants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have been summoned here from the RetroRGB weekly podcast news updates...they covered this card this week!

I have two stupid questions.

How much will this be?

Can I buy it pre-assembled?

Regardless, this sounds so awesome for those of us that have yet to shell out the $$$ for a real GUS!

Current Systems:
DIP40|8088|640K|HERCULESGB102|PCSPKR
DIP40|V20|640K|VGA|ADLIB/TNDY/COVOX
S7|P233MMX|128M|S3ViRGEDX/DM3D|SB16
S370|P600MMX|256M|SIS630/DM3DIIX2|SBLIVE!5.1
S775|P43.4|2G|6800GS|SBAUDIGY

Reply 57 of 852, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
underthebridge wrote on 2022-07-19, 14:39:

To be clear- is the MPU intelligent mode like the PCMidi card and does it use the musicquest drivers?

The hardware may be re-arranged slightly between now and the final board layout, but Orpheus II contains exactly the same intelligent-mode PCMIDI hardware as the stand-alone board and Orpheus I. As always, you have the choice between the standard Roland driver or the Music Quest version. They haven't made any official announcement, that I am aware of, stating whether the intelligent-mode hardware will be standard equipment or optional, as on Orpheus I, particularly given the problems with parts availability.

underthebridge wrote on 2022-07-19, 14:39:

Say at a given time I wanted to, for instance, use just GUS + Crystal part, or GUS + OPL3, or GUS by itself to save resources. Would it conflict if driver is disabled in windows?

As far as I'm aware, the PCMIDI portion cannot be disabled. It is not managed via Plug and Play, and occupies either I/O base 300H or 330H, depending on jumper settings (disabled is not one of the available options). Similarly, in order for OPL3 to work, at least part of the CS4237 hardware must be configured and enabled on the bus. InterWave features without the CS4237 being active full-time should be possible, but is not currently supported by any initialisation software. Currently, the internal, experimental version of ORPHINIT is the only software that has any sane level of support for Orpheus II. These are features that I might consider for a future version, but it can start to get complicated, so I'm not making any promises.

If anyone else decides to implement support for the new card, and which features they support, is entirely up to them. As of now, there are no other options; that is something that potential buyers should know.

Under Windows, you won't have the same level of control. I don't think anyone has experimented in detail with which parts can be disabled without affecting performance, compatibility or stability. However, "disabling" the PCMIDI driver will not cause the hardware to become inactive.