VOGONS

Transfer files to and from an old pc with no USB

Topic actions

First post, by Harlock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, as per subject, besides IDE to USB adapters, any suggestion for transferring files to an old PC (Pentium 1) ?
As far as I know:

- IDE to USB adapters
- CD-DVDs
- Network, but I'd rather not connect that old computer to anything
- Any PCI 1.x USB extension available? So far I've only found PCIe
- CF cards maybe

I've just realized that a pc I should be getting has no usb ports! 😀

Reply 1 of 85, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I’m trying to figure this out also.

Maybe there is something that can adapt to a serial or parallel port. 🤔

But a ide to cf adapter on a rear bracket seems like the best bet if no pci is present.

There are isa to usb cards but Idk how prwctical they are for non boot drives on super old xt systems.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 2 of 85, by Harlock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, it has PCI and ISA slots, so I thought about some sort of PCI extender with external USB ports, but all I've found is PCIe and that's not an option unfortunately.
If nothing works, I suppose a second HDD connected to an IDE to USB adapter might be the most straightforward option.

Reply 3 of 85, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What motherboard is it?

The usb to ide adapters are good, but not ideal. You have to take apart the computer to do it that way.

Many pentium 1 mobos had usb.

Btw, do not buy a usb 2.0 card.

They actually will slow the computer down.

A usb 1.x card may work.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 4 of 85, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If nothing works, the still is the good old laplink cable or null modem 😀
Jou just need a serial or parallel port and the right cable (or fix your own cable) and interlink/intersvr programs from PC-DOS 5.02 / MS-DOS 6 or higher. They also work on Windows 9x DOS mode 😀

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 6 of 85, by Harlock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
waterbeesje wrote on 2022-07-19, 20:31:

If nothing works, the still is the good old laplink cable or null modem 😀
Jou just need a serial or parallel port and the right cable (or fix your own cable) and interlink/intersvr programs from PC-DOS 5.02 / MS-DOS 6 or higher. They also work on Windows 9x DOS mode 😀

Painful 😁

Reply 7 of 85, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Harlock wrote on 2022-07-19, 20:03:

"that old"???

No PC is too old for LAN.
And a Pentium one is very easy to network - PCI NICs can be found for pennies, and OSes from that era usually have networking built in.

Sure, there's plenty of other options, but my favourite is definitely LAN.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 8 of 85, by Harlock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Grzyb wrote on 2022-07-19, 20:41:
"that old"??? […]
Show full quote
Harlock wrote on 2022-07-19, 20:03:

"that old"???

No PC is too old for LAN.
And a Pentium one is very easy to network - PCI NICs can be found for pennies, and OSes from that era usually have networking built in.

Sure, there's plenty of other options, but my favourite is definitely LAN.

It will be a Win95 or Win98, never tried to set a file share between modern machines (Win 10 or newer) and such OS.
Not my preferred choice, but I might as well take it into consideration.

Reply 9 of 85, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

LAN is the best method. You'll never go back.

Ideally, if you have some spare hardware (old PC or Pi) set it up as a server running RetroNAS. That means you don't have to think about how to get old & new systems talking to each other, juggling different SMB versions etc - it makes it all pretty seamless.

Reply 10 of 85, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are PCI USB adapters on eBay, but they don't always say what USB version and they rarely say what PCI version.

I always use optical drives on non networked systems. CF, Zip and LS120 drives are good if you have any.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 11 of 85, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2022-07-19, 21:46:

LAN is the best method. You'll never go back.

Ideally, if you have some spare hardware (old PC or Pi) set it up as a server running RetroNAS. That means you don't have to think about how to get old & new systems talking to each other, juggling different SMB versions etc - it makes it all pretty seamless.

Seconded. LAN makes things a lot easier. You may even be able to skip the whole "transfer" bit entirely and just access files and run programs straight from network drives. My approach is if it can be networked, it will be networked and it will have network drives - I can't be bothered copying stuff around with FTP. DOS 3.0+, OS/2 1.1+, Classic Mac, all versions of Windows, all unix-like will all do network drives fine. The only limitation is if the machine has no expansion slots at all and no built-in networking - so basically very old laptops and weird things.

Security isn't a big concern - I'm not forwarding ports on my router to Windows 95 and I'm not using a web browser on Windows 95 so for someone on the internet to talk to my windows 95 box they'd have to already be inside my lan in which case I've got bigger problems than my Windows 95 box being hacked. But its possible to do network drives without using TCP/IP at all making the computer completely invisible to modern windows and the internet in general which only understand IP.

Removable media (CF Cards, DVDs, CDs, flash drives, floppy disks, physically moving hard disks around) are a method of second-to-last resort. I'd use them only if network wasn't an option. Inconvenient and slow but its hard (not impossbile) to install an OS and get a computer on the network without at least one floppy disk or CD.

If it can't be networked and removable media isn't workable there is always a serial cable or parallel cable. Laplink, fastlynx, Kermit (which is available for windows and just about everything else), and probably lots of others.

Reply 12 of 85, by BLockOUT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

some time ago i saw this video
it involves connecting a modern pc and an old computer

you need some cables and a raspberry pi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHO8lrzLJ20

its the only thing i can think of, other than using laplink with a more older pc that is not new

Reply 13 of 85, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most times I go thrifting these days I see at least one wifi router with a USB port. These can be used standalone as your USB to network card adapter, serving up the contents of a USB drive by SMB. Wifi turned off if you want, or an isolated not interwebbed SSID you can bop onto with a modern box dump stuff on the drive and disconnect again. Hell if you're handy with a soldering iron, I believe there are both SD card and USB mods that can be done to the old WRT54G routers, along with supporting firmware, and use one of those if you can scratch one up free. You could also use one as a large wifi dongle to just suck data off somewhere else in your home network.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 15 of 85, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MarkP wrote on 2022-07-20, 04:44:

usb 2 pci cards slowing the system down?

Never heard that one before.

Which USB 2.0 cards for old motherboards

It’s nuts, some of my systems will be slowed down by like a whole third just by installing a USB 2.0 card

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 16 of 85, by MarkP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-07-20, 04:51:

It’s nuts, some of my systems will be slowed down by like a whole third just by installing a USB 2.0 card

Can't say I've experienced the same. Has anyone else on Vogons witnessed this?

The OP just wants a way to transfers files so even if a system is slowed down the PCI usb card can be removed when the data has been transferred to a usb stick et al.

Reply 18 of 85, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MarkP wrote on 2022-07-20, 05:16:

The OP just wants a way to transfers files so even if a system is slowed down the PCI usb card can be removed when the data has been transferred to a usb stick et al.

🤷‍♂️ I posted benchmarks in that thread. Others noticed it also. They are in that thread.

I think it may only be specific usb controller chips that do it.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 19 of 85, by MarkP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-07-20, 05:42:
MarkP wrote on 2022-07-20, 05:16:

🤷‍♂️ I posted benchmarks in that thread. Others noticed it also. They are in that thread.

I think it may only be specific usb controller chips that do it.

That thread is large. I prefer specifics like system specs, OS etc. A dedicated thread on that particular problem would be more useful imho.

A s per my previous post it is still one of many options to try out.