VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 45660 of 52340, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought this P4 Shuttle with Radeon 9600, 512mb RAM and a 2.4GHz CPU.
Added a 80GB Caviar Blue with XP,upgraded the RAM to 2GB and dropped in the best P4 I had, a 2,53GHz.
If a find a SB Live or so,I'll drop it in too.

Attachments

• IMG_20220717_090731.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20220717_090731.jpg
    File size
    832.86 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 45661 of 52340, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Murugan wrote on 2022-07-20, 06:36:

Added a 80GB Caviar Blue with XP,upgraded the RAM to 2GB and dropped in the best P4 I had, a 2,53GHz.

Nice. I have one with I think an Athlon64 and an MX200 I haven't tested. A little disappointed because of the non-standard mainboard.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 45662 of 52340, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-07-20, 07:39:

Nice. I have one with I think an Athlon64 and an MX200 I haven't tested. A little disappointed because of the non-standard mainboard.

Yes this can be an issue later on. I even saw one with modern components in it 😀

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 45663 of 52340, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Murugan wrote on 2022-07-20, 07:43:
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-07-20, 07:39:

Yes this can be an issue later on. I even saw one with modern components in it 😀

I thnk new ones with modern components are still being made. When I bought mine, I only wanted to part it out and use the case to build a NAS and on the photos it looked like standard ITX. Now I don't know what to do with it.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 45665 of 52340, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HanJammer wrote on 2022-07-19, 20:41:
There is a pretty strict distinction stemming from the definition of these words: […]
Show full quote
JSO wrote on 2022-07-19, 20:11:
Greek language and the vocabulary hasn't a translation for the word "vintage" neither for the word "retro". […]
Show full quote
HanJammer wrote:

So apparently you don't understand the meaning of this word and you use it in place of word "old" or "vintage" then (at least in some cases 😀

Greek language and the vocabulary hasn't a translation for the word "vintage" neither for the word "retro".

So, the "old" is the appropriate word for vintage PC's or retro PC's for me.

For me all the old PC's that are DOS and Windows 3.x / 9.x compatible are vintage or retro.

There is a pretty strict distinction stemming from the definition of these words:

Vintage something -> something at least 20 years old (AFAIK from Catalan: vint - twenty, age - well, age) - this applies to all sort of old computer hardware and software too (ie vintage computers, vintage games, vintage computer parts and so on) hence the name of https://vcfed.org/ for example...

Retro something -> something made recently to look or work like something old (ie. VW New Beetle reminding old VW Beetle or A500 Mini which looks and works similar to old Amiga 500, retro clothes and so on) - so basically new items, new software and so on.

Retro activity -> using something like in the past (ie. retrogaming may refer to both playing old (vintage) games on new hardware which is topic of this forum, playing old games on old hardware or even playing new games which are intentionally made to look like old games, retrocomputing -> activity of using old (vintage) computers like in the past, but also using new modern hardware in conjunction with old hardware, retro fashion will be a wearing vintage clothes or new clothes made too look vintage and so on).

These words are not synonymous -> they have opposite meanings.

Please don't create confusion by applying your own definitions 😀

To be fair, even your definitions are debatable.
His explanation was quite fair, even though I'm not a native greek speaking person, english isn't my primary language either so I understand the sometimes quirky translations that this can cause. No need to try and assert some kind of odd authority here, JSO is probably coming in peace 🙂

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 45667 of 52340, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-07-20, 11:17:

Cryix III CPUs .. are they interesting ? as in worth buying to mess around with >?

Why ask first and experiment later?
They are essentially earlier VIA C3 chips.

I have a couple and don't regret it 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 45668 of 52340, by Jccwu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

SIMM 128Mb FPM Module
it's crazy

Attachments

Reply 45672 of 52340, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ptr1ck wrote on 2022-07-20, 19:03:
Jccwu wrote on 2022-07-20, 18:45:

SIMM 128Mb FPM Module
it's crazy

I think you mean glorious.

Definitely glorious 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 45673 of 52340, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought some new small sized Compact Flash cards 2x512Mb, 2 x 1Gb and 2x 2 Gb plus a few Dual bootable CF adaptors, going to move a couple of spinning rust systems to CF and leave the HDD in there to retain the noise. (I guess some might say that these cards are not small ...but when you have an 8tb SSD .. anything under 5gb is tiny)

These are all known reputable sellers for Flash memory cards as finding decently priced non scam flash memory stuff is getting difficult and I refuse to use eBay or Amazon for such items. (Aside from SSDs)

Reply 45674 of 52340, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-07-21, 12:28:

Bought some new small sized Compact Flash cards 2x512Mb, 2 x 1Gb and 2x 2 Gb plus a few Dual bootable CF adaptors, going to move a couple of spinning rust systems to CF and leave the HDD in there to retain the noise. (I guess some might say that these cards are not small ...but when you have an 8tb SSD .. anything under 5gb is tiny)

These are all known reputable sellers for Flash memory cards as finding decently priced non scam flash memory stuff is getting difficult and I refuse to use eBay or Amazon for such items. (Aside from SSDs)

Why do you refuse to use eBay or Amazon for these? Every CompactFlash card I have purchased has been from Amazon or eBay. Used or new, I've only had 1 breakdown in 10+ years. I just bought 2 8GB SanDisk (used) CFs a few days ago. I suspect those will be fine, also.

Reply 45675 of 52340, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Meatball wrote on 2022-07-21, 13:57:

Why do you refuse to use eBay or Amazon for these? Every CompactFlash card I have purchased has been from Amazon or eBay. Used or new, I've only had 1 breakdown in 10+ years. I just bought 2 8GB SanDisk (used) CFs a few days ago. I suspect those will be fine, also.

There's a serious amount of fake/scam flash cards and flash drives on them. Especially Amazon the amount of scam or fake products on there is scary.

Reply 45676 of 52340, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have to use the Aussie Amazon which is full of Chinese sellers and their suspect scam bait fake SD/CF cards, eBay is much the same, I simply do not trust these sources as I have been burnt in the past by Cards that read one size but in reality they are nothing of the sort.

Its really only CF/SD cards I refuse to buy, having been burnt previously I now stick to reputable sources for these items, it costs a little more but I know that the cards wont start corrupting data at a random capacity.

Reply 45677 of 52340, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-07-21, 15:39:

I have to use the Aussie Amazon which is full of Chinese sellers and their suspect scam bait fake SD/CF cards, eBay is much the same, I simply do not trust these sources as I have been burnt in the past by Cards that read one size but in reality they are nothing of the sort.

Its really only CF/SD cards I refuse to buy, having been burnt previously I now stick to reputable sources for these items.

For SD and CF, if buying from Amazon, it must be both sold and shipped by them. I do not trust any third party sellers for flash based devices on that platform .

Reply 45678 of 52340, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2022-07-21, 15:43:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-07-21, 15:39:

Its really only CF/SD cards I refuse to buy, having been burnt previously I now stick to reputable sources for these items.

For SD and CF, if buying from Amazon, it must be both sold and shipped by them. I do not trust any third party sellers for flash based devices on that platform .

Good info, all. Thanks a lot!