VOGONS

Reply 41 of 86, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For me this has been my only hobby for many years, so if I hated or feared something I wouldn't do it.
It is about enjoying and many of the things that have been mentioned here are precisely the most interesting.
It only makes sense to me to complain if it's a job, because you need it to live or, something you can't escape from.

Reply 43 of 86, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-07-24, 08:59:
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-07-24, 07:42:
JustJulião wrote on 2022-07-22, 14:27:

Testing after a purchase. When it's described as working it has been usually very poorly tested and I need to know if it's actually working in a reduced amount of time.

Yeah, I absolutely hate these. 99% of the time tested means a PC was turned on with the component and they've seen to the end of the BIOS power-on self tests. No OS loaded, no drivers installed, no testing under load. So it's as close to being untested as one can get.

Well you cant have it both ways, either you get very basic testing and cheap parts or you get extensive testing and really expensive parts, basic testing for me is enough if the parts are not priced as if they have had thorough testing done.

If the seller manages to match the two things (minimal tests+appropriate price). It's still annoying when you for example buy a graphics card as tested and working and it's already artifacting during the BIOS self-test.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 44 of 86, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CrFr wrote on 2022-07-24, 13:21:

Hated: scrubbing dirty keycaps

I remove the caps, put them in as washing sack and put them in with the next laundry.
... and after that treatment you could bleach them if neccessary.

Feared: opening cases with plastic tabs, working on CRT monitor internals

cases with plastic tabs = totally agreeing
CRT monitor internals = you're right, this is a fright (but I've switched to TFTs long ago)

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 45 of 86, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote on 2022-07-24, 11:17:

Spiders are traditionally considered lucky in Europe. But then there are no dangerous spiders here. I imagine people in Australia and the warmer parts of the U.S. have a different perspective.

I've had a few computers I've opened and had Black widow spiders.

Reply 46 of 86, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
waterbeesje wrote on 2022-07-23, 07:54:
Hate: property form factor that does not fit anything else. Like those dreadful HP or Compaq mini computers. […]
Show full quote

Hate: property form factor that does not fit anything else. Like those dreadful HP or Compaq mini computers.

Fear: could be two of them
- detaching a socket A or 370 cooler that's mounted way too tight with a silly clamp that needs a flat screwdriver and too much force. Sliding off means damage for sure.
- fire, taking all with it

For the heatsink clips, you can use a small nut driver to eliminate the danger that comes with slipping off the clip with a screwdriver.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 47 of 86, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hated: scrubbing dirty keycaps

Feared: opening cases with plastic tabs, working on CRT monitor internals

I just take all the keycaps off and run enough water in the sink to cover them all. Add some disk soap and then use an old toothbrush to scrub them clean.

Super fast. The worst part is getting them dry after washing / rinsing them off.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 48 of 86, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-07-24, 19:17:

Spiders are traditionally considered lucky in Europe. But then there are no dangerous spiders here. I imagine people in Australia and the warmer parts of the U.S. have a different perspective.

Thats a different fear i guess xD

Reply 49 of 86, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Peter.Mengel wrote on 2022-07-24, 19:41:

Yeah them and the Brown Recluse spiders are always fun to find in cases.

Reply 50 of 86, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-07-24, 19:44:

I guess by this youre from australia! Thats where all the nightmares crawl! ^^

Reply 51 of 86, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Peter.Mengel wrote on 2022-07-24, 19:45:

Both of them spiders are well US.

We have RedBacks and White Tail spiders both of which are nasty bastards and love dark places.

Reply 52 of 86, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There was an episode of Peppa Pig that got banned in Australia because it featured a friendly spider. You don't want kids down there playing with spiders.

There were similar complaints about that 'Lucas' video that was popular a few years ago.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 53 of 86, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote on 2022-07-24, 21:07:

There was an episode of Peppa Pig that got banned in Australia because it featured a friendly spider. You don't want kids down there playing with spiders.

There were similar complaints about that 'Lucas' video that was popular a few years ago.

Most Spiders here don’t forgive so I fully agree, it’s just an all round bad idea to give kids the impression spiders can be friends.

Reply 54 of 86, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Errius wrote on 2022-07-24, 21:07:

Wow that makes totally sense! Imagine the kids beeing like...well Kids OHH theres the nice spider he could be my friend....
Well Peppa plays in England and in most European Countrys there exist nothing rly dangerous like snakes or spiders...the most dangerous snake in germany
could get you feel dizzy and hurt a bit.

Reply 55 of 86, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sadly no. I'm in the states

Reply 56 of 86, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-07-24, 22:58:

Sadly? Did you ever watch this BIG SPIDERS videos of australians? Or Snakes and all other nightmarish stuff? Be happy you can pew pew pew them legal with youre .45 away. ^^
Australians like HMM do i use my didgeridoo or my Boomerang today...
While we germans like singing itzi bitzi spinne...drinking our Weißbier and eating sauerkraut. And dont give a sh.. about animals at all.

Reply 58 of 86, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Peter.Mengel wrote on 2022-07-24, 23:31:
Sadly? Did you ever watch this BIG SPIDERS videos of australians? Or Snakes and all other nightmarish stuff? Be happy you can pe […]
Show full quote
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-07-24, 22:58:

Sadly? Did you ever watch this BIG SPIDERS videos of australians? Or Snakes and all other nightmarish stuff? Be happy you can pew pew pew them legal with youre .45 away. ^^
Australians like HMM do i use my didgeridoo or my Boomerang today...
While we germans like singing itzi bitzi spinne...drinking our Weißbier and eating sauerkraut. And dont give a sh.. about animals at all.

Not sure if I should be offended or not ...very few Aussies own a Boomerang or Didgeridoo and it would be wrong to ever used them to kill a spider .. thats what Thongs and Mortien are for. If the spider is a Funnel Web or Mouse spider then use your shoes and dont miss or the only thing youll have is a very pissed off spider hell bent on making you its next victim.

And yes I mean Victim a bite from either means death if you dont get your ass to the hospital and get Anti-Venom within 15-20 mins. (Funnel Webs are particularly aggressive/territorial and wander about their domain)

Check out the fangs on this

Spider.jpg
Filename
Spider.jpg
File size
73.82 KiB
Views
File comment
Funnel Web
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Yes they can bite through clothing , gloves and even the tops of your shoes.

Last edited by TrashPanda on 2022-07-25, 00:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 59 of 86, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What I hate/fear the most is that after getting all the parts and building the pc there is some kind of problem/instability with it that no matter what you try to do you cant figure out what is causing it and how to fix it and you have to give up on it.