VOGONS

Reply 60 of 86, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Baoran wrote on 2022-07-25, 00:04:

What I hate/fear the most is that after getting all the parts and building the pc there is some kind of problem/instability with it that no matter what you try to do you cant figure out what is causing it and how to fix it and you have to give up on it.

At which point your problem hunting skills should kick in and you start removing parts till you find the part that is causing the problem, usually its only one of a few parts that will cause problems. (Unless its the PSU .. because its always the last thing you suspect)

Process of elimination !

Reply 61 of 86, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Making sure the GART driver doesn't go stupid.

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC

Reply 62 of 86, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-07-24, 23:52:
Not sure if I should be offended or not ...very few Aussies own a Boomerang or Didgeridoo and it would be wrong to ever used the […]
Show full quote
Peter.Mengel wrote on 2022-07-24, 23:31:
Sadly? Did you ever watch this BIG SPIDERS videos of australians? Or Snakes and all other nightmarish stuff? Be happy you can pe […]
Show full quote
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-07-24, 22:58:

Sadly no. I'm in the states

Sadly? Did you ever watch this BIG SPIDERS videos of australians? Or Snakes and all other nightmarish stuff? Be happy you can pew pew pew them legal with youre .45 away. ^^
Australians like HMM do i use my didgeridoo or my Boomerang today...
While we germans like singing itzi bitzi spinne...drinking our Weißbier and eating sauerkraut. And dont give a sh.. about animals at all.

Not sure if I should be offended or not ...very few Aussies own a Boomerang or Didgeridoo and it would be wrong to ever used them to kill a spider .. thats what Thongs and Mortien are for. If the spider is a Funnel Web or Mouse spider then use your shoes and dont miss or the only thing youll have is a very pissed off spider hell bent on making you its next victim.

And yes I mean Victim a bite from either means death if you dont get your ass to the hospital and get Anti-Venom within 15-20 mins. (Funnel Webs are particularly aggressive/territorial and wander about their domain)

Check out the fangs on this
Spider.jpg

Yes they can bite through clothing , gloves and even the tops of your shoes.

Dont feel offended i was jooking arround. Did use some stereotype just for the fun.
Most common spider in germany is a Webberknecht or a Zitterspinne both are very easy and dont cobweb.
We say if you have one of these in youre house, you have a good climate at home so no mould or bad air....
They are Small either like...3-5 cm while the body itself is just like a pin.
0_big.jpg

Reply 63 of 86, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Peter.Mengel wrote on 2022-07-25, 00:17:
Dont feel offended i was jooking arround. Did use some stereotype just for the fun. Most common spider in germany is a Webberkne […]
Show full quote
Not sure if I should be offended or not ...very few Aussies own a Boomerang or Didgeridoo and it would be wrong to ever used the […]
Show full quote

Sadly? Did you ever watch this BIG SPIDERS videos of australians? Or Snakes and all other nightmarish stuff? Be happy you can pew pew pew them legal with youre .45 away. ^^
While we germans like singing itzi bitzi spinne...drinking our Weißbier and eating sauerkraut. And dont give a sh.. about animals at all.

Not sure if I should be offended or not ...very few Aussies own a Boomerang or Didgeridoo and it would be wrong to ever used them to kill a spider .. thats what Thongs and Mortien are for. If the spider is a Funnel Web or Mouse spider then use your shoes and dont miss or the only thing youll have is a very pissed off spider hell bent on making you its next victim.

And yes I mean Victim a bite from either means death if you dont get your ass to the hospital and get Anti-Venom within 15-20 mins. (Funnel Webs are particularly aggressive/territorial and wander about their domain)

Spider.jpg

Dont feel offended i was jooking arround. Did use some stereotype just for the fun.
Most common spider in germany is a Webberknecht or a Zitterspinne both are very easy and dont cobweb.
We say if you have one of these in youre house, you have a good climate at home so no mould or bad air....
0_big.jpg

We call the Daddy Long Legs or Cranefly in the UK.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 64 of 86, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-07-24, 23:46:

I accidently a whole PC case.

?

You accidentally what a PC case?

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 65 of 86, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2022-07-25, 00:30:
Dont feel offended i was jooking arround. Did use some stereotype just for the fun. Most common spider in germany is a Webberkne […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Spider.jpg

0_big.jpg

We call the Daddy Long Legs or Cranefly in the UK.

Opa Langbein is it called here to sometimes by the older,
would translate to grandfather long legs. So rly close to the meaning 😀

Reply 66 of 86, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2022-07-25, 00:31:
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-07-24, 23:46:

I accidently a whole PC case.

?

Glad you said so. Cause i was confused and thought maybe i dont get it with my bad english skillz...but it seems wrong to me even as a non native speaker xD
Maybe we better wont know what he did with the case....the INTERNET can be a shaddy place! ^^

Reply 68 of 86, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-07-25, 00:09:

What I hate/fear the most is that after getting all the parts and building the pc there is some kind of problem/instability with it that no matter what you try to do you cant figure out what is causing it and how to fix it and you have to give up on it.

At which point your problem hunting skills should kick in and you start removing parts till you find the part that is causing the problem, usually its only one of a few parts that will cause problems. (Unless its the PSU .. because its always the last thing you suspect)

Process of elimination !

That is not the problem. In last 3 cases it ended up being the motherboard, but since the motherboard is the part that you build your system around and you might have been looking for that specific motherboard for a year or more it basically prevents you from finishing it.

Reply 69 of 86, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Baoran wrote on 2022-07-25, 01:22:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-07-25, 00:09:

Process of elimination !

That is not the problem. In last 3 cases it ended up being the motherboard, but since the motherboard is the part that you build your system around and you might have been looking for that specific motherboard for a year or more it basically prevents you from finishing it.

as much as that situation sucks you did at least find the issue no ?

That said .. like hell I would let a specific motherboard stop me from finishing any build, motherboards can be changed/switched as there will always be another just as capable board out there. (And as always that specific motherboard will pop up again on Evilbay, I'm looking at you ASUS Rampage Extreme !, though I do have two of them now)

Reply 70 of 86, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote on 2022-07-25, 00:59:

The possibility of not being able to match the beiges of my PC case, floppy, and CD-ROM always strikes fear into my heart.

Heh, I have a baby AT minitower on which the 3 drives, bay cover, case front and metal chassis each have a slightly different beige color. It looks like ass, and despite many attempts to swap drives there's always a mismatch.

I've nicknamed it "50 shades of beige".

Recently I got a couple of matching Epson drives, one 3.5'' and the other 5.25'', both grey color so totally not beige, but the stark contrast with the rest of the case should look better than the slight variations I have currently. Still need to decide what to do with the bay cover, I'm thinking about spray painting it but it will probably turn out awful.

Reply 71 of 86, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Show full quote
Show full quote

Spider.jpg

0_big.jpg

AFAIK, these are harmless to humans . I find them rather cute, TBH .

Reply 72 of 86, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2022-07-25, 03:03:
Show full quote
Show full quote

Spider.jpg

0_big.jpg

Yeah like i said, your chances to get bitten by something rly dangerous in germany is rare...we have settled some wolfes back and 1-2 bears find theire way to us but they are highly watched and even killed if they start rioting into towns...the most common baddas animal here are warthogs.

Reply 73 of 86, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Peter.Mengel wrote on 2022-07-25, 03:07:
Show full quote

0_big.jpg

Yeah like i said, your chances to get bitten by something rly dangerous in germany is rare...we have settled some wolfes back and 1-2 bears find theire way to us but they are highly watched and even killed if they start rioting into towns...the most common baddas animal here are warthogs.

We have bears and wolves in some parts of Canada, but not anywhere near where I live .
Also, one does not want to piss off a Canadian goose as they are quite intense if provoked. They are not nicknamed hissing cobra chicken for nothing, though they are cute .

cobra_chicken.jpg
Filename
cobra_chicken.jpg
File size
1.96 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

That said, if you manage to find a bear, wolf or goose in a PC, I would be inclined to pass on trying to salvage said PC. 😉

Reply 74 of 86, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2022-07-25, 03:21:
We have bears and wolves in some parts of Canada, but not anywhere near where I live . Also, one does not want to piss off a Ca […]
Show full quote
Peter.Mengel wrote on 2022-07-25, 03:07:

We have bears and wolves in some parts of Canada, but not anywhere near where I live .
Also, one does not want to piss off a Canadian goose as they are quite intense if provoked. They are not nicknamed hissing cobra chicken for nothing, though they are cute . cobra_chicken.jpg

That said, if you manage to find a bear, wolf or goose in a PC, I would be inclined to pass on trying to salvage said PC. 😉

I see them and hear them evry year in germany too. didnt know they are somehow dangerous.
Leasoned Learn...if they are in a PC run!

Reply 75 of 86, by Solo761

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2022-07-25, 03:21:

Also, one does not want to piss off a Canadian goose as they are quite intense if provoked. They are not nicknamed hissing cobra chicken for nothing, though they are cute . cobra_chicken.jpg

What? No beavers? 👀

main-qimg-eba92530ee1ab48843b722fb5760a376.png
Filename
main-qimg-eba92530ee1ab48843b722fb5760a376.png
File size
274.13 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

On topic... For me most hated part is modding gotek drives with oled screens and rotary encoders. First I have to print new housing with adequate holes, then spray paint it to cca case color. Then solder few wires for rotary encoder... Boring work...

Cleaning and testing if something works is more a part of retro experience...

Reply 77 of 86, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
debs3759 wrote:

Yes, whole case. Is this dangerous?

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 79 of 86, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheMobRules wrote on 2022-07-25, 01:37:
badmojo wrote on 2022-07-25, 00:59:

The possibility of not being able to match the beiges of my PC case, floppy, and CD-ROM always strikes fear into my heart.

Heh, I have a baby AT minitower on which the 3 drives, bay cover, case front and metal chassis each have a slightly different beige color. It looks like ass, and despite many attempts to swap drives there's always a mismatch.

I've nicknamed it "50 shades of beige".

I have a similar problem, a beige case with an ugly black CD-ROM drive. I have obtained a drive of the correct color, but it won't work in DOS for some mysterious reason (see Re: [SOLVED] CD Audio cable question). So the black drive remains. It annoys me every time I look at it.

Is this too much voodoo?