VOGONS

Retro Rig Photo Thread

Topic actions

Reply 2281 of 2685, by Demo85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

EMo2lh7.jpg
Just doing some fitting to see how my Core Duo Win98 build is going to fit in this Dell D266 case. Case had to be cut for the IO shield to fit, hell has to be cut so IO wouldn't catch on the lip. Also plan to cut the front of the metal to fit a 120mm fan, it won't get a lot of air flow through the front since the holes are restrictive in the front plastic bezel but it will get enough.
Twti2Rj.jpg
Had to make sure the cooler would fit, it's way over kill for my the CPU but overkill is underrated

Reply 2282 of 2685, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I build a P3 Tualatin PC last year.
i815 board with PCPCI header
P3S 1.4GHz
256M PC133 x2
YMF724 or WaveForce192XG
Geforce MX4000 AGP
Win98SE

CS1.5 get 70FPS that enough for me.

Toshiba Satellite Pro 4300 - YMF744, Savage IX
Toshiba Satellite 2805-S501 - YMF754, GeForce 2Go
IBM Thinkpad A21p - CS4624, Mobility Radeon 128
main: Intel NUC11PHKi7C Phantom Canyon: i7-1165G7 RTX2060 64G 2T760PSDD

Reply 2283 of 2685, by biohazardx9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As requested my P II rig.

The Rage had a low profile bracket and I had no full spare so kinda made up one.

20220706_204414.JPG
Filename
20220706_204414.JPG
File size
1.83 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20220706_204654.JPG
Filename
20220706_204654.JPG
File size
1.33 MiB
Views
File license
20220706_204711.JPG
Filename
20220706_204711.JPG
File size
1.53 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 2287 of 2685, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
biohazardx9 wrote on 2022-07-06, 19:51:

As requested my P II rig.

The Rage had a low profile bracket and I had no full spare so kinda made up one.

i like the badges on these old computer cases; 'centrex pc', maybe some small company that existed for a while before either morphing into a differently focussed company or just vanishing

so many came and went over the years.

Reply 2288 of 2685, by biohazardx9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

agreed Gerry, it doesn't look too bad does it? certainly keeping that badge.
I wouldn't mind some genuine badges for windows 98, ATI, Pentium 2. I'd get an A3d badge if I get a vortex and a 3dfx one when I get a voodoo2 in it

Reply 2289 of 2685, by AngryByDefault

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2022-06-27, 13:04:

Well, in his defense USB wireless keyboard/mouse was probably all he had to test with. And please note, you don't mention the seller saying it was tested to work, just tested. So it is all fair in my book.

Also, if my eyes are not deceiving me there is a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP and an Ensoniq AudioPCI in that system.

C'mon.. the reall issue here is how a sane person can accurately distinguish, not one, but two ... two cards (!) just by a glance at their backplates???? 🤣
Amazing...

Reply 2290 of 2685, by biohazardx9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AngryByDefault wrote on 2022-07-09, 17:38:

C'mon.. the reall issue here is how a sane person can accurately distinguish, not one, but two ... two cards (!) just by a glance at their backplates???? 🤣
Amazing...

Easy, each card has its own design. there are differences. the Soundblaster lives and audigy's are sometimes hard to tell apart but usually its the array of ports and where they are placed that gives the game away.

Reply 2291 of 2685, by AngryByDefault

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
biohazardx9 wrote on 2022-07-13, 12:28:
AngryByDefault wrote on 2022-07-09, 17:38:

Amazing...

Easy, each card has its own design. there are differences. the Soundblaster lives and audigy's are sometimes hard to tell apart but usually its the array of ports and where they are placed that gives the game away.

Yeah.. but is the Voodoo layout all that different from the gazillion video cards of the era? And, while it probably is different because, after all, it was spotted based on its looks, the point was not that the cards are different but that someone knows all of those cards so well as to spot them just like that...

Reply 2292 of 2685, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am a bit of an expert at these things..

One one of many skills I picked up while ebay bargain hunting.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2293 of 2685, by JustJulião

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My PowerVR PCX2 based machine.
Coppermine 1GHz, 815 chipset, 256mb of RAM, Pioneer Slot-in DVD reader (had an hard time fitting it since it's much longer than the stock optical reader), 160GB WD HDD on a Silicon Image SATA controller (to be replaced with a CF card on IDE).
Running WinME (hated for bad reasons IMO).
Displayed on the 2nd picture : PowerVR SGL screensaver from Videologic's disc.

pvr2.jpg
Filename
pvr2.jpg
File size
170.55 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
pvr.jpg
Filename
pvr.jpg
File size
207.79 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 2294 of 2685, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JustJulião wrote on 2022-07-22, 11:13:
My PowerVR PCX2 based machine. Coppermine 1GHz, 815 chipset, 256mb of RAM, Pioneer Slot-in DVD reader (had an hard time fitting […]
Show full quote

Coppermine 1GHz, 815 chipset, 256mb of RAM, Pioneer Slot-in DVD reader (had an hard time fitting it since it's much longer than the stock optical reader), 160GB WD HDD on a Silicon Image SATA controller (to be replaced with a CF card on IDE).
pvr2.jpg
pvr.jpg

Any chance you'd upload that background picture and the screen saver? I really want to use it with my Matrox m3D. I guess it shouldn't have copyright issues?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 2295 of 2685, by JustJulião

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
H3nrik V! wrote on 2022-07-26, 07:30:
My PowerVR PCX2 based machine. Coppermine 1GHz, 815 chipset, 256mb of RAM, Pioneer Slot-in DVD reader (had an hard time fitting […]
Show full quote

pvr2.jpg
pvr.jpg

Any chance you'd upload that background picture and the screen saver? I really want to use it with my Matrox m3D. I guess it shouldn't have copyright issues?

The wallpaper is here and you seem to be aware of it since you replied haha.
If you just want the screensaver, it's the "seal" one in demo/screensavers folder. Just open it with isobuster. http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=230
It also includes cyberk that is my favorite one.
A more recent (and much heavier) version of the cd is there : http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … 995&menustate=0
It has two more screensavers. "logo" that is ugly IMO and "Mask" that isn't bad.

Reply 2296 of 2685, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JustJulião wrote on 2022-07-26, 09:14:
The wallpaper is here and you seem to be aware of it since you replied haha. If you just want the screensaver, it's the "seal" o […]
Show full quote
H3nrik V! wrote on 2022-07-26, 07:30:
Show full quote

pvr2.jpg
pvr.jpg

The wallpaper is here and you seem to be aware of it since you replied haha.
If you just want the screensaver, it's the "seal" one in demo/screensavers folder. Just open it with isobuster. http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=230
It also includes cyberk that is my favorite one.
A more recent (and much heavier) version of the cd is there : http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … 995&menustate=0
It has two more screensavers. "logo" that is ugly IMO and "Mask" that isn't bad.

Thanks!

Wow, I already forgot I already found it 🤣 Getting old, apparently ;P

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 2298 of 2685, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I really can't understand how and why anyone would be nostalgic for XP, it does nothing better than what came after and as far as I know there is next to nothing that runs on XP and nothing else? I absolutely despised this OS, and resented every moment I spent with it between 2000 Pro and 7 Pro..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.