VOGONS

First post, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, i have an old keyboard i use for my retro rigs and also for my newer ones, lately i upgraded my newer PC and i have no more PS\2 there, so i got this "Perixx PERIPRO-401" which seems to be pretty good from the opinions floating online, there's a problem though, when i play any game and i keep pressing W to walk forward continuously (any key does this) after 5 seconds the keystroke stops working and i need to press another key to keep moving; any idea of what this problem could be?

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 1 of 14, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
iraito wrote on 2022-07-24, 13:00:

Ok, i have an old keyboard i use for my retro rigs and also for my newer ones, lately i upgraded my newer PC and i have no more PS\2 there, so i got this "Perixx PERIPRO-401" which seems to be pretty good from the opinions floating online, there's a problem though, when i play any game and i keep pressing W to walk forward continuously (any key does this) after 5 seconds the keystroke stops working and i need to press another key to keep moving; any idea of what this problem could be?

Normaly this is an Energy Issue, what mouse keyboard are you using? I guess the keyboard is mechanical? So maybe +5v on 1 USB isnt enough

Remove the mouse and try it without the mouse, see if this problem is solved.
If so...yeah +5v is not enough for both devices. And the Mouse has alot more refresh rates so it gets priority.

Reply 4 of 14, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's a generic one, i never had issues with it when connected directly in PS/2

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 5 of 14, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
iraito wrote on 2022-07-24, 16:34:

PS/2 ist 5v per line while USB is 5v only for all devices as far i know, maybe it "interrupts" to. Or cant follow the translation from ps2 to usb, maybe try another one? Would guess its the easier way.

Reply 6 of 14, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Peter.Mengel wrote on 2022-07-24, 19:40:

PS/2 ist 5v per line while USB is 5v only for all devices as far i know, maybe it "interrupts" to. Or cant follow the translation from ps2 to usb, maybe try another one? Would guess its the easier way.

Just to be sure i bought another converter too, the device seems to be rated well though.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 7 of 14, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
iraito wrote on 2022-07-24, 21:38:

Just to be sure i bought another converter too, the device seems to be rated well though.

Its on Deliver? Or allready arrived? Same Problems?

Reply 8 of 14, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Peter.Mengel wrote on 2022-07-24, 21:43:

Waiting for the new one

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 9 of 14, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
iraito wrote on 2022-07-24, 22:12:
Peter.Mengel wrote on 2022-07-24, 21:43:

Waiting for the new one

Ok, hope it works out for you!
Keep me posted if youre problem is solved. Otherwise we need to dig deeper into youre keyboard mouse problem setup 😀

Reply 10 of 14, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had a crapton of trouble trying to use various unbranded cheapo adapters that I had lying around with an IOGEAR PS/2 KVM .
I ended up sourcing Belkin F5U119vE1 and Tripp Lite B015-000 ones . These worked great for me .

Reply 11 of 14, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, apparently buying a no brand cheap as all hell converter solved all issues, it works like a charm.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    35.44 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 12 of 14, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
iraito wrote on 2022-07-26, 12:44:

Well, apparently buying a no brand cheap as all hell converter solved all issues, it works like a charm.

Good news!

TBH, I am sure there are good unbranded ones around and you obviously got one. However, it is luck of the draw as to whether a random one of the Internet will work well or not. IMHO, you were lucky, I was not: I tried 3 or 4 different ones before going the branded route. To be clear, all the cheapo ones I had seemed to work fine as long as I did not hook a KVM up to them .

Reply 13 of 14, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2022-07-26, 14:22:

Good news!

TBH, I am sure there are good unbranded ones around and you obviously got one. However, it is luck of the draw as to whether a random one of the Internet will work well or not. IMHO, you were lucky, I was not: I tried 3 or 4 different ones before going the branded route. To be clear, all the cheapo ones I had seemed to work fine as long as I did not hook a KVM up to them .

Oh i agree 100% i have been lucky with cheap stuff over the years but i had my fair share of problems too.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 14 of 14, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good News!
Yeah sometimes its weird, sometimes you get the best out of the most cheap stuff and sometimes the most
expensiv need so much tunings and workarround to work correctly. So yeah.