VOGONS

First post, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sadly both my Athlon XP builds are now without power supply, the last one that i had i tried to recap and check the passive components on the low voltage part, but it's still not functional.
So i need a power supply with a strong enough 5V, i have a Athlon XP 2800+(AXDA2800DKV4D), for a bare minimum i think i need a PSU rated for 15A on its 5V rail.
My go to brand is Corsair, but apparently they don't like to put each rail rated power.

Reply 1 of 13, by aureal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm on the hunt for a new psu that can do Athlon XPs too. There used to be a modernish Corsair psu model starting with V something but it got discontinued. I saw some unbranded ones on fleabay stating a high 5V rail but their quality could be anything.

Reply 2 of 13, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There still are some new ones available with 30A on the+5v rail that keep in spec with little 12v usage. I think you could look at the 700W and higher PSU, just to get these amps.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 3 of 13, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use one of these with my 8KRA2+:

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 4 of 13, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's another that should work.

Attachments

Reply 8 of 13, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The CPU tells us nothing about what PSU you want, the motherboard does. Reason being, late socket A straddled the line between 5V boards and 12V boards. Nforce2 boards often used 12V.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 9 of 13, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To be fair, for +5V system, you can pick PSU with rather anemic specs, but you must be certain that it has OCP protection for that rail set above 150%.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 10 of 13, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-08-02, 02:59:

To be fair, for +5V system, you can pick PSU with rather anemic specs, but you must be certain that it has OCP protection for that rail set above 150%.

Correct, even 25A of high quality PSU can do 125W and 30A can do 150W.

Question is how much 5V OCP is set on Seasonic PSUs?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 12 of 13, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To avoid having to store 10+ cases, i have a bunch of "fixed" configs, plus a test bench where i assemble the other configs when i want to use one.
On this bench, i'm using the same PSU for everything from Socket 7 to S1366 : SilverStone SST-ST1000G https://www.pccasegear.com/products/16483/sil … 0w-gold-st1000g
I bought it 2nd hand for ~45/50€ (but with one missing cable i think)

I never had issues with my AthlonXP3200+/MSI K7N2 (but i don't know if +5/25A is enough at full load)

Screenshot from 2022-08-03 14-52-46.png
Filename
File size
151.97 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 13 of 13, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
acl wrote on 2022-08-03, 12:56:
To avoid having to store 10+ cases, i have a bunch of "fixed" configs, plus a test bench where i assemble the other configs when […]
Show full quote

To avoid having to store 10+ cases, i have a bunch of "fixed" configs, plus a test bench where i assemble the other configs when i want to use one.
On this bench, i'm using the same PSU for everything from Socket 7 to S1366 : SilverStone SST-ST1000G https://www.pccasegear.com/products/16483/sil … 0w-gold-st1000g
I bought it 2nd hand for ~45/50€ (but with one missing cable i think)

I never had issues with my AthlonXP3200+/MSI K7N2 (but i don't know if +5/25A is enough at full load)

Like many of the tail end Socket 462 motherboards, the K7N2 has a P4 connector, so a strong +5 isn't important in the way it is with the Socket 462 boards that don't have the P4.