VOGONS

First post, by Syntho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have two floppy drives on a machine that I just installed Windows 95 on. One is a 3.5", the other a 5.25", set up as A: and B:, respectively. In DOS, everything works perfectly. No issues. However, when in Windows 95, accessing the A drive works fine, but when I try to access the B drive, it accesses.... the A drive! Weird. Both drives access the A drive. What can I do to fix this? I deleted the Floppy controller things in Device Manager and restarted but that didn't help.

Reply 1 of 7, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi.
I suppose both FDD are on the same cable. Did your cable look like this one (with the twisted part on the ribbon, in red)? It should and the wiring should be done as I indicated.

FDD_cable.jpg
Filename
FDD_cable.jpg
File size
103.12 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.

Reply 5 of 7, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Experienced some similar weirdness in W98SE when trying to install a second floppy drive a while ago. Both drives worked perfectly in DOS mode.

Fixed it by booting W98SE in safe mode for any device ghosts to display in the device manager, uninstalling all floppy drive and controller entries, and finally reboot to normal mode letting Windows reinstall the controller/drives.

Seems W9x doesn't like adding new floppy drives after OS installation.

Reply 6 of 7, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, it's probably a registry issue from a bad configuration that occurred somewhere. DOS is using BIOS calls & interrupts with the CPU in real mode to command the floppy controller. The Windows 9x uses their own way to talk to peripherals. Through different software layers from the user interaction on the GUI to the kernel driver passing by different APIs. You can try to see what happens in a MS-DOS Prompt. Because it is a special VM that have a direct access to the hardware but work with an environment exposed by the host. That can be instructive to see the behavior of the FDD there. I think it is important to try to understand the cause of the issue. But if you just want a working PC quickly, the solution of @kaputnik can resolve the issue, it is worth the try.

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.