Common searches

Reply 201 of 262, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Watched a couple of Cronenberg films lately:

The Brood
Crash (saw it when it was new, just as good now, and very close to the book as I recall)
Probably will re-watch Shivers and Rabid some time, maybe Videodrome.

Re-watched Jackie Brown, had forgotten how good it was. Not sure I can sit through Kill Bill though.

Followed up Crash with High Rise (having read the book about 40 years ago!) - kinda modern take but ok (not Cronenberg ofc)

And the UK governments inspiration for their covid response:
Contagion (amazes me how good a prediction that was)

Must watch Mulholland Drive some time too.

But currently watching Team America: World Police

Reply 205 of 262, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chris2021 wrote on 2022-07-31, 20:13:

I would imaginr Seinfeld is unanimously considered the king of comedy. But it simply wouldn't be so w/o the laugh track. Anyone disagree?

The laugh track adds to the show, but it would still be great without it. It's one of the few series which gets stronger with each season, unlike like 'The Simpsons.' I used to be of the opinion this series peaked around Season 8 or 9. I now believe it's more like Season 5 or 6. Sure there's good episodes now again, but not base hit after base hit. I'll have to rewatch once more to re-evaluate. Maybe I'll start this next.

It's too bad 'Seinfeld' ended so poorly, but we shouldn't be surprised. If you look back at any "special" episode like 'the 100th,' they are just as wretched. These guys just don't know how to perform an encore. It's ironic one of the last episodes of the series includes the classic around the topic "getting out on a high note." Overall, though, Jerry Seinfeld knew when to call it a day, and the series always leaves more wanting more.

Reply 207 of 262, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would imaginr Seinfeld is unanimously considered the king of comedy. But it simply wouldn't be so w/o the laugh track. Anyone disagree?

Is that sarcasm? If not then: I disagree, I watched a bit of it years ago, all seemed rather banale and obvious. The fact you need a soundtrack to enhance "comedy" should ring alarm bells. But each to their own.

Reply 210 of 262, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HangarAte2nds! wrote on 2022-08-01, 10:34:

Star Trek, The Orville, Young Sheldon, BBT, There is a Fallout TV show coming I can't wait to see.

I can already see the fallout, just like Halo, the lore people will say the live action version isn’t replaying the lore beat for beat
and the classic “we didn’t ask for this”.

I didn’t mind Halo tv even though certain characters are beyond irritating/ 2d

Gotta wonder if the lore guys are ever happy with a new take on characters with made for drama TV

One would think there is a lot to draw on considering all the tropes in a post nuclear wasteland with mad scientists and mad max, 🤣

Last edited by rmay635703 on 2022-08-03, 18:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 211 of 262, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ratfink wrote on 2022-08-01, 09:38:

Is that sarcasm? If not then: I disagree, I watched a bit of it years ago, all seemed rather banale and obvious. The fact you need a soundtrack to enhance "comedy" should ring alarm bells. But each to their own.

So you don't find Seinfeld funny? I would then like to hear your opinion of shows that top your list.

Most of the comedy shows I have been watching don't include a laugh track. The only reaason I commented.

I do maintain that at the time, nothing was as funny prior or even after Seinfeld. I am a huge fan of the Office, P & R, Community, and Scrubs. I think each have their merits. And only 1 scene in 1 episode of any show had me choking with tears running down my face, and that was Community. Not the funniest show overall, but great in it's own right. Having said that, I don't recall any show provoking as much laughter overall as Seinfeld. A very big part of the laughter was on account of Cramer's insane quirks and mannerisms. I would think 50% or more.

Reply 212 of 262, by pbagain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just finished Season 1 of Taboo (BBC, Tom Hardy) and loved it. Yet to start S02, so can't comment on that.

They call this type of show "slow burn" nowadays, but to me it's just a well-crafted story to which every episode contributes essential, intriguing parts (as opposed to the seemingly prevalent form of story telling that is packed with pointless action scenes, uninteresting characters and story side-tracks leading nowhere)

Reply 213 of 262, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Completely agree.
Laugh tracks and studio audiences are usually just a crutch for lazy writing and to waste time.
For instance: show's basically pause while waiting for the "laughter" to end, and if you have a 2-3 second pause every 5-6 seconds its easy to see how much time can be "saved".
There's exceptions ofc but shows that manages to be funny w/o them are IMO infinitely more enjoyable.

Reminds me of this little gem:

ekKkgFC.png

Reply 214 of 262, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bofh.fromhell wrote on 2022-08-03, 17:33:
Completely agree. Laugh tracks and studio audiences are usually just a crutch for lazy writing and to waste time. For instance: […]
Show full quote

Completely agree.
Laugh tracks and studio audiences are usually just a crutch for lazy writing and to waste time.
For instance: show's basically pause while waiting for the "laughter" to end, and if you have a 2-3 second pause every 5-6 seconds its easy to see how much time can be "saved".
There's exceptions ofc but shows that manages to be funny w/o them are IMO infinitely more enjoyable.

Reminds me of this little gem:

ekKkgFC.png

I like the pauses, then you don't miss the next lines of dialog. I never paid much attention until I watched the show a billion times recognizing the audience laughter. If you like the show, you won't notice it until you've seen repeats. If you hate the show, you probably won't stick around to notice it (i.e., 'Friends' or 'Big Bang Theory,' which I never could stomach even a single episode all the way through).

Reply 215 of 262, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It doesn't mean shows that have a laugh track aren't funny. Many years ago Friends was something I swore I wouldn't watch. The first time I saw it only affirmed my suspicion that it was stupid. I really hated everything about it, the premise, the cast. The 2 people who really don't annoy the h*** out of me are cc and lk. I never felt any of those women were anything to write home about. But as time went on I watched a little more. I actually watch it some lately. And although I still find some aspects of the show deplorable, I think it is one of the funniest shows ever made.

I never watched bbt or 2 1/2 retards. And don't intend to.

Reply 216 of 262, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chris2021 wrote on 2022-08-03, 19:46:

It doesn't mean shows that have a laugh track aren't funny.

"Red Dwarf" is the best example for that.

This show is so damn funny and over the top and I quite like the laugh track.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 217 of 262, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chris2021 wrote on 2022-08-01, 19:45:

I do maintain that at the time, nothing was as funny prior or even after Seinfeld. I am a huge fan of the Office, P & R, Community, and Scrubs. I think each have their merits.

It's probably the "Seinfeld is unfunny" effect. A lot of Seinfeld's humor was highly topical to the 90's era, and that doesn't translate as well to more recent decades. The other problem is that the show's style of humor was also copied a lot. It was innovative for the time, but now seems blasé for anyone who didn't grow up with it.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 218 of 262, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IMO Seinfeld and Friends were funny when they were about damaged/faulty people doing stuff against social mores, now you encounter assclowns like that multiple times a day and it's OLD.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 219 of 262, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-08-03, 21:24:
chris2021 wrote on 2022-08-01, 19:45:

I do maintain that at the time, nothing was as funny prior or even after Seinfeld. I am a huge fan of the Office, P & R, Community, and Scrubs. I think each have their merits.

It's probably the "Seinfeld is unfunny" effect. A lot of Seinfeld's humor was highly topical to the 90's era, and that doesn't translate as well to more recent decades. The other problem is that the show's style of humor was also copied a lot. It was innovative for the time, but now seems blasé for anyone who didn't grow up with it.

Seinfeld has been on continuously for 20 years and already had 3 times a day reruns on certain off brand channels.

Having only OTa most of my life I simply became exhausted after a few years of reruns multiple times a day.

Once and a while I will watch an odd episode after the news but in my case fatigue keeps me from going back too much, still gets a giggle and some nostalgia.