VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

These adapters have become fairly difficult to source, and expensive. It should be fairly easy to hack one together with a 20pin ATX extension cable or a 24 to 20 pin ATX adapter, plus the 6pin P10 connector which can also be sourced from old/dead early ATX PSUs. The issue is, I do not have the pinout. Does anyone have it lying about?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 7, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sure, it's here: https://pinoutguide.com/Power/dell_atxpower_pinout.shtml

With some of the motherboards, you can shift the ATX connectors position to make it ATX compatible again: A Permanent Solution to the Dell 'Fake ATX' Power Supply Problem?

Here's a graphic to show how it's shifted and where the clips etc are that I just put together in Excel - I've checked this against my own Dell Dimension XPS D233 to confirm:

Attachments

Reply 3 of 7, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All you do is take a standard solder ATX connector, take out both dell connectors, and open up the solder holes for the ATX, solder the ATX connector in. Dell connector has one pin missing.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 4 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like Dells of this era but jeeze it was a dick move not to use the ATX standard. Especially when it was found the motherboards even had solder points for a stranded connector

Reply 5 of 7, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-08-03, 23:07:

All you do is take a standard solder ATX connector, take out both dell connectors, and open up the solder holes for the ATX, solder the ATX connector in. Dell connector has one pin missing.

Cheers,

I don't quite follow..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 6 of 7, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2022-08-04, 05:51:

Cheers,

I don't quite follow..

I can't remember who made them or the name of the threads, but Im pretty sure somewhere around here someone has solved this issue. What is described is exactly it besides using a diagram to follow along. An adapter does the same thing.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 7 of 7, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ODwilly wrote on 2022-08-04, 06:06:
appiah4 wrote on 2022-08-04, 05:51:

Cheers,

I don't quite follow..

I can't remember who made them or the name of the threads, but Im pretty sure somewhere around here someone has solved this issue. What is described is exactly it besides using a diagram to follow along. An adapter does the same thing.

A Permanent Solution to the Dell 'Fake ATX' Power Supply Problem?