VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by assortedkingdede

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been trying to get Silpheed to use the AWE64 sound card I have installed but it does not play any sound off it and instead uses the beeper no matter what option I choose in the installer. My soundcard should support this games adlib sound. Any info will help. Thanks!

Reply 1 of 7, by DOSDays

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What version of the game do you have?
As I understand it, version 2.1 only supports MT-32 and two old IBM audio cards. Version 2.2 added support for Ad Lib.
The installer writes its config into the file RESOURCE.CFG, so check in there what it's set to. Mine looks like this:
EGA
ADL.DRV
NO
HARD DISK

You'll see for audio it uses a .DRV file - do you have an ADL.DRV file for Ad Lib in your game directory?

Also, you didn't mention it, but I assume you are running AWEUTIL which [among other things] initializes the FM synthesis output.

Reply 4 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Extending what thepirategamerboy12 posted above, there is indeed Silpheed v3.2 that was released by Sierra in 1990 as "enhanced version" for PS/1 systems
Myloch uploaded somewhere this version and NewRisingSun created patches/drivers so you could have SB digitized sound among other improvements
as to where to get these nowdays I think google is the answer, the patches could be here in the forum but I have no idea if this is still the case

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 7, by assortedkingdede

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DOSDays wrote on 2022-08-05, 05:25:
What version of the game do you have? As I understand it, version 2.1 only supports MT-32 and two old IBM audio cards. Version […]
Show full quote

As I understand it, version 2.1 only supports MT-32 and two old IBM audio cards. Version 2.2 added support for Ad Lib.
The installer writes its config into the file RESOURCE.CFG, so check in there what it's set to. Mine looks like this:
EGA
ADL.DRV
NO
HARD DISK

You'll see for audio it uses a .DRV file - do you have an ADL.DRV file for Ad Lib in your game directory?

Also, you didn't mention it, but I assume you are running AWEUTIL which [among other things] initializes the FM synthesis output.

I do have an ADL.DRV file present, I have been using AWEUTIL. Something I relized is I get a can't save configuration information error, this could be a read only setting error so I need to find something I can use to install the game that is not C: drive since I get errors installing the game onto the same drive as the installer. Thank you, I will try to get the configuration to save properly to start.

Reply 6 of 7, by assortedkingdede

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
assortedkingdede wrote on 2022-08-05, 16:57:
What version of the game do you have? As I understand it, version 2.1 only supports MT-32 and two old IBM audio cards. Version […]
Show full quote

EGA
ADL.DRV
NO
HARD DISK

I do have an ADL.DRV file present, I have been using AWEUTIL. Something I relized is I get a can't save configuration information error, this could be a read only setting error so I need to find something I can use to install the game that is not C: drive since I get errors installing the game onto the same drive as the installer. Thank you, I will try to get the configuration to save properly to start.

Files are not read only, odd.

Reply 7 of 7, by assortedkingdede

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
assortedkingdede wrote on 2022-08-05, 16:59:
assortedkingdede wrote on 2022-08-05, 16:57:
Show full quote

EGA
ADL.DRV
NO
HARD DISK

Files are not read only, odd.

So I discovered the when the file was created it was set as read only for some strange reason. Thanks for the help!