VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone.
As the title says, is there any game that has any advantage, or only works if executing from a floppy disc? I'm aware of self booting games for PC-Jr and Tandy computers (most of them also available as "regular" files), but aside from those, is there any others that require/run better from a floppy?
The question is mostly because I was thinking on purchasing a Gotek drive for a Pentium MMX (Freedos) build I'm working on. Initially I was convinced I needed the gotek drive so I could easily transfer files between my main PC and the MMX, but after some work I could get the PMMX to run as an FTP server and now files can be easily transferred between computers, so the idea of having a gotek became a bit meaningless to me now, unless of course there are some other advantages of having a gotek which I'm not aware of.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 1 of 7, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As far i know Gotek started for the Amigas, cause thats where you need a floppy. As a PC User i tend, even back then to run most games from HDD as it was faster. I guess its a nice have as a "close to real" feature otherwise i dont really see why you would need it. Some Goteks are even modified and do the sounds of floppy and such.

Reply 2 of 7, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Booter games weren't just for PCjr and Tandy, but also for the original PC series.
Yes, probably all have been ripped into DOS executables.

I only know about one ripped booter game that benefits from a floppy: the original Digger - it keeps the high scores on the floppy, without floppy the game works fine, just doesn't save high scores.
But...
The original Digger was designed for 8088@4.77, and is unplayable on a Pentium anyway.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 3 of 7, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Grime (1984) also saves high scores to floppy. I obtained the game from a magazine cover disk and it would hang if the floppy was not inserted. I fixed it by overwriting the INT13 calls with NOPs.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 5 of 7, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, there's some stuff with floppy-based copy protection.
But after so many years, it's safe bet everything got unprotected...

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 6 of 7, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the replies, It seems I'm not getting a gotek after all
I can copy stuff through FTP plus all of my floppy based games were already burned to CD compilations to be easily copied to the hard drive, will stay with the regular floppy drive then.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 7 of 7, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Microsoft Adventure - because I'm not sure there is any way to boot that from a hard drive at all. Seems like it's coded with it's own O/S, though I recall, sometime a million years ago, when I had my first computer (Tandy 1000 SX) I managed to somehow read the floppy disk and the files on it (maybe I should try MS-DOS 2.11), and even launch it from DOS. I've not had any booter games ottherwise, everything else has been stuff I can cram on a hard drive.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/