VOGONS

First post, by Rikintosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently purchased a Radeon 9600PRO 256mb, but when I removed the heatsink, I saw that the chip was not what it should have. It said Mobility Radeon 9700 on the die. The board uses 4ns memories.

I was cheated? Is this some kind of Chinese product?

Take a look at my blog: http://rikintosh.blogspot.com
My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfRUbxkBmEihBEkIK32Hilg

Reply 1 of 13, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pictures of this card and chip itself, memory chip marking please, this helps us to determine what actually was.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 13, by Rikintosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Its looks like a Gecube 3D radeon

I'm thinking of returning it

Attachments

• 11.png
    Filename
    11.png
    File size
    241.98 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • 2.png
    Filename
    2.png
    File size
    971.68 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • 1.png
    Filename
    1.png
    File size
    1.04 MiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 5 of 13, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Peter.Mengel wrote on 2022-08-12, 03:35:

I would keep it just for curiosity and collector reasons...

I agree. Mobile chips on desktop cards are known to exist, but not super common.
But keeping it or not depends on on what you are looking for.

Where i live, there are 9600Pro boxed for ~10/15 $€, sometimes less.
I think this card is more valuable as a collectible item. I would personally keep it.

But if your goal is just to play games and you're not collecting at all, and you're on a budget, well...
You will probably be able to sell it and be able to buy back a "normal" 9600Pro (or maybe a better card if you gets extra money from it 9500/9700/9800/9600XT ?)

It just depends 🤷

Edit :

The R300 cards line is a mess. There are tons of weird/OEM things.
Just by the card i have at home, i've seen the following weirdness :

• Card performances does not follow the numbers.
    • 9550 < 9600 < 9500 < 9700 <= 9800
  • Some 9700 Pro are on 9800 Pro PCB
  • Some 9800 Pro are on 9700 Pro PCB
  • The 9800 Pro exists in R350 and R360 rev chips
  • Some 9600 Pro were still sold new very very late (Windows Vista logo on the box)
  • The 9700 Pro 3d Prophet exists in at least 2 colors (red and blue)
  • There are "fakes"9800 "Pro" with 128bit bus (pro are supposed to have 256bit)
  • I have a Boxed 9800Pro fake 128bit card who came with unofficial driver CD that also contains GeForce drivers (!?!)

This is probably caused by the fact that, iirc, all R3XX are pin compatible.

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 6 of 13, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you got a card with 4ns memory and 128-bit bus I'd call that a win. Getting a 64-bit card would be a disappointment.

The Mobility 9700 was supposed to run more efficiently than the Mobility 9600, reaching higher clocks at the same TDP. I wonder if it is a good overclocker.

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 7 of 13, by Rikintosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unfortunately I had to return it, it didn't work properly. I could have fixed it if the seller returned some of what I paid for it, but he preferred to have it back.

Reply 8 of 13, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rikintosh wrote on 2022-08-12, 23:17:

Unfortunately I had to return it, it didn't work properly. I could have fixed it if the seller returned some of what I paid for it, but he preferred to have it back.

What was the Problem? Wondering how it didnt work properly?

Reply 9 of 13, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bakemono wrote on 2022-08-12, 19:56:

If you got a card with 4ns memory and 128-bit bus I'd call that a win. Getting a 64-bit card would be a disappointment.

The Mobility 9700 was supposed to run more efficiently than the Mobility 9600, reaching higher clocks at the same TDP. I wonder if it is a good overclocker.

But here comes a interesting fact i could point out with my FX5200 PCI. 128bit does weird things in older games more then often..while the 64bit doesnt.
I still beside this couldnt see a difference in performance in older games.

Reply 10 of 13, by Rikintosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Peter.Mengel wrote on 2022-08-13, 14:20:

I think baking it in the oven would do the trick. Here in Brazil it is even common for video cards to have problems when they are sent by mail, because they are inside the car during transport, and the car is under the tropical sun, all goods inside the delivery car are very hot, and sometimes video cards suffer from the heat.

Luckily, I'm a professional and have some of the equipment needed to repair, but I couldn't without the seller's authorization, or (as was the case) me paying full price, and receiving a defective product.

I recently got a very cheap iMac G3DV, during shipping it broke like a cookie, but the seller sold it to me for 10% of the market value, so I didn't care. I'm currently gluing each little piece together with expoxy glue, like a jigsaw puzzle.

I really like these old things, but I don't have the means to collect everything I would like, so some things I keep for myself, while others I resell to make some money.

I got my money back, and I bought the only 6800GT I could find in the country (it's defective). With luck I can get it to work. Around here the AGP market is saturated with cards like mx4000, and 6200, but almost none better than that. I have a radeon 4650, but I need to change the PCI-E to AGP bridge because it is damaged.

As for radeon 9600pro with 9700 chipset, I believe it must be some kind of product coming from china. I assume this, because I have seen in the past some recent cards like 1060 being sold here, but they actually used the notebook chip, which has a lower performance (probably the Chinese pay cheaper for this chip, and/or it is from a batch rejected due to quality problems)

Attachments

Reply 11 of 13, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rikintosh wrote on 2022-08-13, 17:57:
I think baking it in the oven would do the trick. Here in Brazil it is even common for video cards to have problems when they ar […]
Show full quote

I think baking it in the oven would do the trick. Here in Brazil it is even common for video cards to have problems when they are sent by mail, because they are inside the car during transport, and the car is under the tropical sun, all goods inside the delivery car are very hot, and sometimes video cards suffer from the heat.

Luckily, I'm a professional and have some of the equipment needed to repair, but I couldn't without the seller's authorization, or (as was the case) me paying full price, and receiving a defective product.

I recently got a very cheap iMac G3DV, during shipping it broke like a cookie, but the seller sold it to me for 10% of the market value, so I didn't care. I'm currently gluing each little piece together with expoxy glue, like a jigsaw puzzle.

I really like these old things, but I don't have the means to collect everything I would like, so some things I keep for myself, while others I resell to make some money.

I got my money back, and I bought the only 6800GT I could find in the country (it's defective). With luck I can get it to work. Around here the AGP market is saturated with cards like mx4000, and 6200, but almost none better than that. I have a radeon 4650, but I need to change the PCI-E to AGP bridge because it is damaged.

As for radeon 9600pro with 9700 chipset, I believe it must be some kind of product coming from china. I assume this, because I have seen in the past some recent cards like 1060 being sold here, but they actually used the notebook chip, which has a lower performance (probably the Chinese pay cheaper for this chip, and/or it is from a batch rejected due to quality problems)

Well yeah thats a problem! I would send it back to and dont touch it by my own.
Had once a shaddy broken voodoo diamond and the seller offered me..10% it was close to non fixable and i was like Dafuck?

But in germany we have plenty of AGP cards..PCI cards are harder to get. AGP Cards are freqently availible at a higher price all of its kinds.

Reply 12 of 13, by Rikintosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Peter.Mengel wrote on 2022-08-13, 18:23:
Well yeah thats a problem! I would send it back to and dont touch it by my own. Had once a shaddy broken voodoo diamond and the […]
Show full quote
I think baking it in the oven would do the trick. Here in Brazil it is even common for video cards to have problems when they ar […]
Show full quote

Had once a shaddy broken voodoo diamond and the seller offered me..10% it was close to non fixable and i was like Dafuck?

But in germany we have plenty of AGP cards..PCI cards are harder to get. AGP Cards are freqently availible at a higher price all of its kinds.

I saw several PCI cards (mostly ATI Rage) and nice AGP cards on aliexpress, but I was afraid. I'm afraid to buy things from the Chinese, as they are extremely creative in counterfeiting and scamming people, I'm wondering if those cards are some kind of bios mod, or maybe they take the GPU out of old cards and put it on a PCB new to sell like a brand new card.

Reply 13 of 13, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rikintosh wrote on 2022-08-13, 19:13:
Peter.Mengel wrote on 2022-08-13, 18:23:
Well yeah thats a problem! I would send it back to and dont touch it by my own. Had once a shaddy broken voodoo diamond and the […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

I saw several PCI cards (mostly ATI Rage) and nice AGP cards on aliexpress, but I was afraid. I'm afraid to buy things from the Chinese, as they are extremely creative in counterfeiting and scamming people, I'm wondering if those cards are some kind of bios mod, or maybe they take the GPU out of old cards and put it on a PCB new to sell like a brand new card.

Yeah we had this once they sold low cost Graphic Card for a "cheap" price, rebranded as a better one. But in true just faked Bios ones...GTX 1060 in Real it were GTS 450.