VOGONS

Are these worth anything?

Topic actions

First post, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1. GeForce 5700LE Pixelview PV-N36XA (128KD)
H4gttwl.jpeg
2. GeForce4 MX420 MVGA-NVG17SAM 64MB
p5qudnr.jpeg
3. Acumos AVGA1 320-01. I dunno what's this ISA card
W8dpKt8.png
4. GeForce FX 5200
tMm4BNz.png

I have free Voodoo, V3 2000, V3 3000, Geforce 4 Ti 4200 2x64MB and 1x128MB, Radeon Sapphire 9550, but I know these are good, at least for me. 😀

Reply 1 of 27, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know about the ISA card.

The AGP cards however have low monetary value. The 5700LE is seriously bottlenecked by bandwidth. It's way too close to the MX420.
The MX420 is alright for what it is, though not fast.
The FX5200 is also slow. it's overall performance should be a hair above the MX. Unless it's one of those rare beasts with full 128bit bus AND alright memory clocks (400Mhz or more). Then it's still bad, but on the better end of bad. It has a lot of RAM chips so you might be lucky with this one. But for some reason manufacturers loved to put half as fast RAM chips on the 128bit variants so the bandwidth stayed the same.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 2 of 27, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Acumos AVGA1 is CL-GD5401, before company was acquired by Cirrus Logic. Entry level VGA/SVGA card which has issues with motherboard ISA clock generator.

5700 has bloated caps. Everything else not worth much.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 27, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-08-13, 12:48:

Acumos AVGA1 is CL-GD5401, before company was acquired by Cirrus Logic. Entry level VGA/SVGA card which has issues with motherboard ISA clock generator.

5700 has bloated caps. Everything else not worth much.

Yea, if it was a 5700 Pro or something other than a LE it might be worth recapping but as an LE card its .. well worth scrap value as it currently is, the other two cards might fetch a little on eBay but nothing worth the postage costs.

Reply 4 of 27, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for veryfying but pics are from internet to show exact cards I have so no, no bloated caps fortunately however if anyone wants real pictures I can take these. 😀 Sorry for misunderstanding. 🤣

Also, ISA card works well however when I turn my 386 with it, that doesn't have PCI slots, PC speaker has seizure and I am not sure why, I don't have any problem with this card other than this and for that exact reason I replaced it with TSENG 1MB card. 😁

So won't be a bad Idea to sell these even cheap as I don't have much use from these anymore and as fully working spares I keep Voodoos, GF 4s and Radeon?

Edit: I'm asking as I got these cards as-is, fully working, with other parts I needed. 😉

Reply 5 of 27, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
haker120 wrote on 2022-08-13, 12:58:
Thanks for veryfying but pics are from internet to show exact cards I have so no, no bloated caps fortunately however if anyone […]
Show full quote

Thanks for veryfying but pics are from internet to show exact cards I have so no, no bloated caps fortunately however if anyone wants real pictures I can take these. 😀 Sorry for misunderstanding. 🤣

Also, ISA card works well however when I turn my 386 with it, that doesn't have PCI slots, PC speaker has seizure and I am not sure why, I don't have any problem with this card other than this and for that exact reason I replaced it with TSENG 1MB card. 😁

So won't be a bad Idea to sell these even cheap as I don't have much use from these anymore and as fully working spares I keep Voodoos, GF 4s and Radeon?

Edit: I'm asking as I got these cards as-is, fully working, with other parts I needed. 😉

In my experience these cards are not likely to sell for enough to cover postage + import costs or taxes, they however would be better off in your spares bin, in case you ever get the bugs to mess around with other retro builds.

I guess if you sold them as local postage only you could then post them for free or at a very low cost, but selling them with an international option is likely to be very expensive for you. I have the same issue with mailing anything outside of Australia it only becomes worth it with big ticket items that will sell for enough to cover any extra costs involved in mailing. (With big ticket items insurance with tracking then becomes an expensive issue)

Reply 7 of 27, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
haker120 wrote on 2022-08-13, 13:16:

Nah, I'm planning to get rid of them locally but thanks for advice @TrashPanda. Why trash?? 😁

Trashpanda is a slang term for Raccoons who love Trash and well got the nickname because they veg out in trash like Pandas do with bamboo !

I love the little rascals even though we dont have them in Australia.

Reply 8 of 27, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

But you have dangerous 8 legged fears... here just pierogi and other kiełbasy. 😁

Or option #2 leave them since I already have them working and in contrast to Ati Mobility Radeon 7500 they do not anger me as drivers just work in stable way. 😉

Reply 9 of 27, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
haker120 wrote on 2022-08-13, 13:23:

But you have dangerous 8 legged fears... here just pierogi and other kiełbasy. 😁

Or option #2 leave them since I already have them working and in contrast to Ati Mobility Radeon 7500 they do not anger me as drivers just work in stable way. 😉

Funny thing .. the dangerous spiders here dont bother you if you let them alone and dont go looking for them, unless its a male Funnel Web at which point all bets are off as they are territorial and like to wander around their territory.

That aside we haven't had a death by a Funnel Web here since the mid 80's, Snakes and sharks kill more people and snakes only because you cant save stupid from itself.

Reply 11 of 27, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-08-13, 13:12:
Thanks for veryfying but pics are from internet to show exact cards I have so no, no bloated caps fortunately however if anyone […]
Show full quote

In my experience these cards are not likely to sell for enough to cover postage + import costs or taxes, they however would be better off in your spares bin, in case you ever get the bugs to mess around with other retro builds.

I second this. It's good to have some compatible, but cheap parts for certain reasons. Either debugging or testing dodgy "untested" hardware. The MX420 for example is perfect for this role. Unless you love playing Russian roulette with your Voodoos.

Reply 13 of 27, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-08-13, 14:01:
Show full quote

I second this. It's good to have some compatible, but cheap parts for certain reasons. Either debugging or testing dodgy "untested" hardware. The MX420 for example is perfect for this role. Unless you love playing Russian roulette with your Voodoos.

*nods

I have a box full of cards I wouldn't care too much if I lost one of two while testing retro boards from eBay, mostly ATI rage cards of PCI/AGP flavor but also a bunch of S3 PCI/AGP cards of the Virge flavor. Now one might say hey them ATI rage cards are great but the reality is I have much better cards for systems these cards would go into so these would likely end up back in e-waste if I didn't use them as testing cards.

Heck I have a few AGP gpus with bulging caps that still function but are not worth fixing or selling but since they still function they might as well go out in a blaze of glory as a test card.

The same applies to motherboards with busted IO or damaged ram slots, the board itself still functions and while it posts and has functioning AGP, PCI or PCIe slots it makes for a good GPU/RAM test bench, if it gives up the magic smoke then its served its purpose and I haven't lost a potentially good/valuable board.

Reply 14 of 27, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-08-13, 14:12:

Heck I have a few AGP gpus with bulging caps that still function but are not worth fixing or selling but since they still function they might as well go out in a blaze of glory as a test card.

I fix those with used caps scrapped from other dead devices. Best case they fully work for another couple of years, worst case I had some soldering practice.

Reply 16 of 27, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-08-13, 14:41:

I fix those with used caps scrapped from other dead devices. Best case they fully work for another couple of years, worst case I had some soldering practice.

heh, Ive been building my soldering rework setup so I can do that too, also so I can salvage spare parts that are reusable, bought a really nice multimeter so I can learn how to test reclaimed parts.

Might need to hunt down a component tester and one of them PCI/ISA post cards.

Reply 17 of 27, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-08-13, 14:49:

heh, Ive been building my soldering rework setup so I can do that too, also so I can salvage spare parts that are reusable, bought a really nice multimeter so I can learn how to test reclaimed parts.

I assume that your multimeter is a Fluke? Since this your words "really nice.." was said.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 18 of 27, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-08-13, 16:08:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-08-13, 14:49:

I assume that your multimeter is a Fluke? Since this your words "really nice.." was said.

Cheers,

Well there is really nice but affordable and then there is really nice and not affordable for a hobby where it wont be used that often.

Pretty sure Fluke falls into the not affordable for a hobby, and just checking the prices Fluke meters here in Australia they are well beyond what I would be willing to pay for.

Even the cheapest Fluke is 277 dollars for a basic no frills kit, I'm sure if I shopped around I might find it for a little cheaper on sale but still ...way too expensive for the little use it would actually get. Also the price also would make me far to cautious in using it, lest I damage it by being ignorant of some of the settings, no I think a cheaper but still very nice model is the ticket here. (Angry pixies dont forgive ignorance)

That way it doesnt matter if I damage it by using it on the wrong settings and such, its easily replaced.