VOGONS

Common searches

Hey Vogonians, what are your other hobbies?

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 76, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That cape needs AT LEAST two more light blue coats. Are you using Army Painter warpaints? They make great washes but their paints have very poor opacity..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 62 of 76, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, Americana. It certainly needs 1 or more coats, but when applied I was surprised how well it did cover. Some craft paints have piss poor coverage. This brand doesn't seem so bad.

It's actually a medium-dark blue. DecoArt Americana Royal Navy.

20220814_041641.jpg
Filename
20220814_041641.jpg
File size
1.35 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I'm not terribly interested in fancy effects right now. Maybe some dry brushing after I lay down all the base coats. I tried washes years ago, I sucked at it, and it was tedious. But washes today differ somewhat as a technique I think.

The place I bought my Army Painter Mega set just sent me 3 paints for shipping. This way I don't have to open my kit to try them out. I didn't want to hear about their.opacity. now I have to sell the kit. Bottles are way too small anyway, especially when you're painting 75mm stuff.

It's an open thread. Peoe can talk about anything they want.

Reply 64 of 76, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DecoArt Americana and Plaid FolkArt are two craft paint brands that really work quite fine for miniatures despite having pretty coarse grains. Also when I said 'light' I meant 'thin'.

Do not necessarily sell your Army Painter mega set. They are quite good for layering annd highlighting. Just get some other brand paints for basecoating (VGC Extra Opaque, GW Base, Pro Acryl etc.) . You do not need that many base paints. Off-black, off-white, dark brown, dark red, dark blue, dark green, ochre. 7 in total, Done.

I will start a miniature painting thread I think 😀

Reply 65 of 76, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You really really ought to. I want to see more models and need people to bug the $#!+ out of w/questions.

I have soooo much paint. I have maybe 80 metal 25 and 28mm Celts and such. Some Germanics. Hundreds of Victrix plastic unassembled Gauls, Germanics, Vikings, Saxons, Normans, mounted and uncounted. I'll keep a representative few of those. I really really prefer metal models. Most of the plastic will go bye bye. Too much. And hence I'll need correspondingly less paint. I even dabbled in making my own paint, well not exactly. I'll leave that discussion for the 'master thread'.

Oh the Space Marines. Perhaps 60 or so models. Maybe I'll use the ggod stuff for them. And not to brag but I have the best here.

Base coat, layering, wash, glaze, crazing, acrylic, oil, enamel, gouache. It's all Greek to me.

Reply 67 of 76, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Headsup for Canadians painting stuff, I was in Princess Auto yesterday and there were some cans of Testors Acrylic enamel in the surplus section, 236ml, at tree fiddy-ish. Not a big range of colors though.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 68 of 76, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Atm modding games, exercising, walking (which I like to combine with visiting thrift stores).
But not when it's this hot >.<

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 69 of 76, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chris2021 wrote on 2022-08-14, 10:14:

Were you making a suggestion (about a seperate thread)? I'm game.

Ask and you shall receive: The VOGONS Miniature Painting (and Wargaming) Thread

Reply 70 of 76, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Incidentally I have a small box of odd, miscellaneous, bizarre (mostly) HO scale parts. The only running engine (I suspect) is an AHM Bowker, but it'll need loafs of TLC. Broken stack. Some old time passenger cars. 2 dead Atlas diesels. Udder stuff. I'm in NJ, I hope for your sake you aren't. Just pay the shipping. Message me. I can provide photos.

Reply 71 of 76, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also have a free rpg, Champions 1st edition I presume. Box is gnarly and stained. Manual and such in much better shape. I suspect 1 of the tiny 6 sided dice is missing. For shipping. Again in NJ.

Reply 72 of 76, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dormcat wrote on 2022-08-14, 15:10:

Mostly photography: cats, cosplayers, and trains. Busy taking cosplayer photos this weekend.

I want to see the cosplay photos.

Reply 73 of 76, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chris2021 wrote on 2022-09-10, 04:16:
dormcat wrote on 2022-08-14, 15:10:

Mostly photography: cats, cosplayers, and trains. Busy taking cosplayer photos this weekend.

I want to see the cosplay photos.

Check out my Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/dormcatphoto

Reply 75 of 76, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Riding my bike.
Not the kind of chap that spends thousands and doesn't make his belly size down.

But it's nice to start a conversation with she riders 😀 and get dropped down lightning fast 😀 😀

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 76 of 76, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Same as the guy above me, riding bike... I find it alot better, when i get to a destination using bike, and my own energy to do that, not a car, electric car, electric bike, motorcycle and others that require no effort at all... It just feels better, not to mention is great for making strong legs...

Also to exercise at home and outside (the so called street fitness).

20220417_194937.jpg
Filename
20220417_194937.jpg
File size
1.47 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Also i can see myself going into the wild, and taking pictures of animals, birds and other. Or in cities, memorials, buildings and stuff. As i when i take shots on PC parts i like to picture them the best possible way, but may happen in the future. Also liked to draw/ paint pictures years ago.. Art is also nice, i see making a computer with proper and good looking parts tech art as well..

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088