VOGONS

First post, by PlaneVuki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi !

I have ISA VGA card with WD90C31 chip 1mb, I want to achieve 320*240 16bit color mode for half life with it, it is not an option in game's resolution selection menu, software mode. Minimum resolution available is 640*480. I know that 320*240 is selectable if it is available, because some of my other cards have it, for example s3.

I tried vbemp and manufacturer's driver, other than win98's own driver for this card.

How can I make it work with 320*240 16bit color?

Reply 1 of 7, by MAZter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Isn't this video card too slow for a Half Life? I have a laptop with a 486 processor equipped with a WD90C24A graphics card chip that is manufactured a year later than yours.

Doom is what you want (c) MAZter

Reply 2 of 7, by PlaneVuki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MAZter wrote on 2022-08-17, 17:23:

Isn't this video card too slow for a Half Life? I have a laptop with a 486 processor equipped with a WD90C24A graphics card chip that is manufactured a year later than yours.

It's slow on 640*480 mode, 320*240 would be 4 times faster I expect, since video is a serious bottleneck here, combined with pentium3. Your cpu is too slow for hl anyway.

Reply 3 of 7, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PlaneVuki wrote on 2022-08-17, 19:27:

It's slow on 640*480 mode, 320*240 would be 4 times faster I expect, since video is a serious bottleneck here, combined with pentium3.

If your goal is not about creating an exotic P3 build with the ISA card as primary feature, you should seriously consider using any PCI graphics card instead. The ISA bus is an extreme bottleneck in that system.

Reply 4 of 7, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe try the UniVBE driver from this website (it's not "that" UniVBE). It seems to support your chipset, so you might give it a go. But like others have said here, ISA will be a severe bottleneck (and probably other pats of your system as well).

Paradise PVGA1A, WD90C00/10/11/20/21/30/31

https://www.dosdays.co.uk/topics/graphics_drivers.php

Reply 6 of 7, by PlaneVuki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pan069 wrote on 2022-08-17, 20:46:
Maybe try the UniVBE driver from this website (it's not "that" UniVBE). It seems to support your chipset, so you might give it a […]
Show full quote

Maybe try the UniVBE driver from this website (it's not "that" UniVBE). It seems to support your chipset, so you might give it a go. But like others have said here, ISA will be a severe bottleneck (and probably other pats of your system as well).

Paradise PVGA1A, WD90C00/10/11/20/21/30/31

https://www.dosdays.co.uk/topics/graphics_drivers.php

Thanks, but unfortunately it didn't work. That "univbe" is for dos anyway. Any other suggestions?