Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 45980 of 52619, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Toriessian wrote on 2022-08-16, 14:57:

I got this wonderful looking AGP video card.
Does anybody know what video card this is?

My guess would be a SiS 305 with 16MB of VRAM.

Could also be a 315E, the chips are from early 2002.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 45981 of 52619, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ltning wrote on 2022-08-16, 13:42:

(Anyone got ideas for other cards in funky colors I should have in this 286?)

How about this one:

td3588a2_tamarack.jpg
Filename
td3588a2_tamarack.jpg
File size
300.32 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

This wonderful yellow-golden-brownish color would make a nice contrast to that standard PCB green.
512kB of RAM should also not be too generous for a 286 and a Cirrus VGA card is what everyone can have.

Reply 45982 of 52619, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SB0460 Fatal1ty with break out box. Haven't got ANY clue if it's of any interest, but "oh, something to fill a 5.25 bay" 🤣

Attachments

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 45983 of 52619, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-08-16, 09:58:

This is the version of the upgrade board for this motherboard, it doesnt have the chipset as the one on the motherboard is used.

This Asrock upgrade card actually implements Hypertransport in its peripheral slot as communication bus with southbridge on mainboard.
This means... Technically Asrock could implement upgrade cards for 3rd vendor CPU manufacturer, or even Architectures (PPC, ARM, MIPS, SPARC, RiscV etc) as long as them were compatible with Hypertransport, and you would supply a proper boot firmware for it.

Reply 45984 of 52619, by libby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-08-16, 09:58:

Edit - Im wrong about the 775 to AM2 one ..got my wires crossed due to the little information there is on this.

The 775 to 754 / 939 ones were present on only one board I'm aware of, the ECS PF88 Extreme Hybrid.

http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/mainboard/ecs-p … rid-sis656.html

They used a goofy upgrade board which required you to swap jumpers on the main board to switch between different BIOS chips for the upgrade. I have never seen one of these in person and I've personally stripped/scrapped well over 10,000 different ewaste/offlease computers at this point.

Reply 45985 of 52619, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-08-16, 00:02:

I looked up what this does, and it appears to be a display resolution doubler that allows you to connect two monitors to a single output. Does this mean that the two monitors appear to the device as a single monitor?

This sound awkward if you wanted to maximize a window on one of the two attached displays. Would it then maximize across both screens, since the operating system it sees only a single display from this device?

So I just tried it out and it basically sets your PC to output at a double width resolution and the little box cuts that into two outputs. The PowerDesk software then manages things like expanding across mutliple screens or not. Works very well to be fair!

Attachments

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 45986 of 52619, by ltning

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ChrisK wrote on 2022-08-16, 15:35:
How about this one: td3588a2_tamarack.jpg […]
Show full quote

How about this one:
td3588a2_tamarack.jpg

This wonderful yellow-golden-brownish color would make a nice contrast to that standard PCB green.
512kB of RAM should also not be too generous for a 286 and a Cirrus VGA card is what everyone can have.

Really now. Are you saying you know where I could find that one?
Also it's not a Cirrus Logic, is it? Or is it rebranded or something?

I also have a white Adlib clone and I think that new AWE64 Legacy thing is purple... Poor 286 will have a lot to deal with soon!

The Floppy Museum - on a floppy, on a 286: http://floppy.museum
286-24/4MB/ET4kW32/GUS+SBPro2
386DX-40/20MB/CL5434 ISA/GUSExtreme
486BL-100/32MB/ET4kW32p VLB/GUSPnP/AWELegacy

~ love over gold ~

Reply 45987 of 52619, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ltning wrote on 2022-08-16, 19:43:
Really now. Are you saying you know where I could find that one? Also it's not a Cirrus Logic, is it? Or is it rebranded or some […]
Show full quote
ChrisK wrote on 2022-08-16, 15:35:
How about this one: td3588a2_tamarack.jpg […]
Show full quote

How about this one:
td3588a2_tamarack.jpg

Really now. Are you saying you know where I could find that one?
Also it's not a Cirrus Logic, is it? Or is it rebranded or something?

I also have a white Adlib clone and I think that new AWE64 Legacy thing is purple... Poor 286 will have a lot to deal with soon!

No, it's not Cirrus Logic

http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/cards/ite … marack-td3588a2

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 45988 of 52619, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No it really is not a Cirrus. I just referred to your current one.
Picture was from the link given by debs3759 but I have the exact same one in one of my boxes.
Seemed a bit strange to me when I got it because I never heard of this manufacturer but it works as far as I have tested it.
Vgamuseum is also the only source of information for it I know of.

Reply 45989 of 52619, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-08-16, 03:11:

Snagged a motherboard today that I have been wanting for the test bench, a Asrock 939Dual-SATA2 Motherboard! also comes with an Athlon X2 3800+ and 4gb of DDR400, this one has also had its VRM recapped with Rubycons but ill examine the others on the board too.

s-l1600.jpg

It'll be setup along side the 4CoreDual-Sata2 Rev 2 I got a few months back, hopefully I can eventually find the AM2 upgrade board for it but that board is exceptionally rare.

I'm using the same card as test bench, but i had some compatibility issues.

• Some PCI graphics adapters prevent the card to boot. I had the issue with a Mach64CT
  • It's AGP 1.5v only

The card is also weird with 3 SATA ports but only 1 SATA2 !?!
So it is not as universal as i expected. But still a good card.

Of course, the AM2 upgrade is extremely rare and is probably not very interesting for practical use... Since attics, cellars, storage boxes and trash bins are full of AM2 boards...

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 45990 of 52619, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
acl wrote on 2022-08-17, 10:59:

The card is also weird with 3 SATA ports but only 1 SATA2 !?!
So it is not as universal as i expected. But still a good card.

Southbridge ULi can only SATA I ports natively, that one SATA II is from the added controller JMicron JMB360 and it has only one port.

Reply 45991 of 52619, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Meatball wrote on 2022-08-16, 15:17:

I've nabbed another MISB Vortex 2. Unlike the last this one is completely sealed; so much so it is crushing the thinly constructed box. The seal has a couple of the 'Diamond' brand stamps inked onto the wrap along the bottom seams.

Nice grab! Would love to snag one but I'm a "penny pincher" as of late!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 45992 of 52619, by WJG6260

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A bit late since this technically arrived a little ago, but nonetheless, I finally found a DDR Pentium III board! Featuring the VIA Apollo Pro 266 chipset, and support for both DDR SDRAM and SDR SDRAM, this board is pretty feature complete. It's even got the semi-ubiquitous Promise IDE RAID controller onboard.

A couple of things I have noticed in testing this board include the following:

• For a VIA chipset, this is remarkably stable, more-so than the VIA 694X motherboards I've tested.
  • This board is wicked fast, yielding memory reads in the ~750MB/s range and writes in the ~420MB/s range with a PIII-S 1.26.
  • The quirks this board had when reviewed by THG (no AGP Fast Write support) seem to have been remedied by the latest BIOS and performance notably increases upon upgrade to v1.5.
  • Between DDR and SDR, the performance delta is measurable, but not quite as large as you'd at first guess. This makes sense, given the bandwidth-limited FSB of the PIII, but still, the fact that there's any performance difference just shows how nice these mature DDR chipsets could be.

Overall, then, this board is pretty weird, but nice and capable all the same.

MS-6366-R.jpg
Filename
MS-6366-R.jpg
File size
1.83 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

-Live Long and Prosper-

Feel free to check out my YouTube and Twitter!

Reply 45993 of 52619, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WJG6260 wrote on 2022-08-17, 19:07:
A bit late since this technically arrived a little ago, but nonetheless, I finally found a DDR Pentium III board! Featuring the […]
Show full quote

A bit late since this technically arrived a little ago, but nonetheless, I finally found a DDR Pentium III board! Featuring the VIA Apollo Pro 266 chipset, and support for both DDR SDRAM and SDR SDRAM, this board is pretty feature complete. It's even got the semi-ubiquitous Promise IDE RAID controller onboard.

• For a VIA chipset, this is remarkably stable, more-so than the VIA 694X motherboards I've tested.
  • This board is wicked fast, yielding memory reads in the ~750MB/s range and writes in the ~420MB/s range with a PIII-S 1.26.
  • The quirks this board had when reviewed by THG (no AGP Fast Write support) seem to have been remedied by the latest BIOS and performance notably increases upon upgrade to v1.5.
  • Between DDR and SDR, the performance delta is measurable, but not quite as large as you'd at first guess. This makes sense, given the bandwidth-limited FSB of the PIII, but still, the fact that there's any performance difference just shows how nice these mature DDR chipsets could be.

MS-6366-R.jpg

Looks nice, and that would definitely be a fun motherboard to have. I remember there was a member of the Overclockers.com forums a couple of decades back who was so proud of his that his username was "DDRP3".

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 45994 of 52619, by WJG6260

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for the kind words! I’m very fortunate to have found this board out in the wild. It seems there aren’t too many DDR P3 boards out there these days.

I’d like to imagine that person on over lockers is still using their DDR P3 to this day for non-internet tasks.

-Live Long and Prosper-

Reply 45995 of 52619, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
A bit late since this technically arrived a little ago, but nonetheless, I finally found a DDR Pentium III board! Featuring the […]
Show full quote

MS-6366-R.jpg

I would love to have one of those! Some of the caps between the pci slots look questionable in that pic btw.

Reply 45996 of 52619, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's an interesting board. DDR, four IDE ports with two channels is 8 drives, and a universal AGP slot. Up to what AGP speed does it support?

I also agree that some of the larger caps lok questionable. It might be the lighting though. I have definitely had stability issues that I tracked down to caps that appeared to be only slightly bulging when inspected with a bright light and the closeness of my eyeballs.

Reply 45997 of 52619, by WJG6260

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pete8475 wrote on 2022-08-17, 21:36:
Show full quote

MS-6366-R.jpg

I would love to have one of those! Some of the caps between the pci slots look questionable in that pic btw.

I hope you're able to find one! I didn't believe any DDR P3 boards were out there but then I found this, so anything is possible!

Definitely! I plan on recapping the board in the near future. It doesn't have the best quality caps to begin with, so some changes are in order! (I will say that upon second glance at both the board and this shot, a few of the caps that look bad in this shot are not suspect on the board itself. I've checked them out and they all seem okay, but I do think a recap is overdue 🤣)!

Last edited by WJG6260 on 2022-08-17, 22:40. Edited 2 times in total.

-Live Long and Prosper-

Reply 45998 of 52619, by WJG6260

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-08-17, 22:16:

That's an interesting board. DDR, four IDE ports with two channels is 8 drives, and a universal AGP slot. Up to what AGP speed does it support?

I also agree that some of the larger caps lok questionable. It might be the lighting though. I have definitely had stability issues that I tracked down to caps that appeared to be only slightly bulging when inspected with a bright light and the closeness of my eyeballs.

The larger caps are definitely okay, but they're still sketchy brands so I'd rather recap them. I will admit the lighting in this quick pic was not great haha. It looks okay in person overall, but this picture doesn't seem too flattering.

The AGP slot supports AGP 4x at 1.5V maximum, so 1066MB/s! It's taken pretty much anything I've thrown in it, so that's a plus!

-Live Long and Prosper-

Reply 45999 of 52619, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Picked up these two Socket 7 CPUs, a low voltage P90 and a 225 Win Chip.

Winchip.jpg
Filename
Winchip.jpg
File size
357.78 KiB
Views
File comment
Winchip
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Pentium 90.jpg
Filename
Pentium 90.jpg
File size
117.97 KiB
Views
File comment
P90
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Going to throw them in the HX rig and see how they perform relative to my other CPUs in that speed range.

The P90 might be good for a pure DOS rig.