VOGONS

DVD drive for windows 98

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by eyalk4567

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just bought from eBay a Sony DVD EIDE drive (model: DRU-830A) and it says, it was manufactured mid 2007.
So I just wanted to ask, does windows 98 have problems with newer IDE/EIDE DVD drives?
Or should it work fine as long as it is an IDE/EIDE DVD drive?

Reply 2 of 18, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows itself should be fine, I think.

The only downsides I can think of modern drives:
- They spin too fast (Nero Drive Speed tool can help)
- They may nolonger support older "books"
- They nolonger can be made RC-0 (used to work via DOS/ATAPI with tools that supported 2000s era drives)
- They nolonger have analog audio.

So for the latter, there won't be music in some CD-ROM games that talk to the drive directly through MCI, not Media Player. *maybe*

It's been a while since I tinkered with this, however.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 18, by eyalk4567

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2022-08-18, 07:14:
Windows itself should be fine, I think. […]
Show full quote

- They nolonger can be made RC-0 (used to work via DOS/ATAPI with tools that supported 2000s era drives)

So for the latter, there won't be music in some CD-ROM games that talk to the drive directly through MCI, not Media Player. *maybe*

Its IDE/EIDE and most of them have analog audio. They stopped putting it on SATA drives, I even looked at the manual of the DVD drive that I ordered and it says it has audio cable connection in the back.

Reply 9 of 18, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eyalk4567 wrote on 2022-08-19, 13:03:

Are pc games from the late 90s and early 2000s even region locked?
Because if not, it doesn't really matter if DVD drives for PCs have or don't have RC-0

Region locked PC games/content exist only as digital game codes for Steam and alike, and even then that's only a concern if you get your keys from some third party key seller. Only DVD movies care about the region on a Win98 rig.

Reply 10 of 18, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Because if not, it doesn't really matter if DVD drives for PCs have or don't have RC-0

Yes, that was only applied to video content, distributed on DVD carriers, which had different pricing and distribution policies in different regions of the world (similar to streaming platforms today).

Reply 11 of 18, by eyalk4567

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sombrero wrote on 2022-08-19, 13:36:

Region locked PC games/content exist only as digital game codes for Steam and alike, and even then that's only a concern if you get your keys from some third party key seller. Only DVD movies care about the region on a Win98 rig.

So does that mean I don't need to think about it if I'm using my windows 98 pc only for games?

Reply 12 of 18, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eyalk4567 wrote on 2022-08-19, 16:48:
Sombrero wrote on 2022-08-19, 13:36:

So does that mean I don't need to think about it if I'm using my windows 98 pc only for games?

Yes, that's exactly what it means. You can forget the whole region thing even exists, it won't affect you in any way.

Reply 13 of 18, by TehGuy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
eyalk4567 wrote on 2022-08-18, 07:36:
Show full quote

Its IDE/EIDE and most of them have analog audio. They stopped putting it on SATA drives, I even looked at the manual of the DVD drive that I ordered and it says it has audio cable connection in the back.

from experience, not all drives that have the analog audio connector actually produce audio from said connection. That or I have several broken drives that read/write fine but audio is a no no

Win98+DOS: C3 Ezra-T 1.0AGHz / P3-S 1.26GHz, 128MB RAM, AWE64 + Orpheus + Audigy 2 ZS, Ti 4200, 128GB SD card
Win XP SP3: C2Q 9650, 4GB RAM, X-Fi Titanium, GTX 750
PowerMac G4 QS 800MHz + GeForce4 Ti4200, OS 9
PowerMac G5 DP 1.8Ghz + ATi x800 XT, Leopard

Reply 14 of 18, by eyalk4567

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TehGuy wrote on 2022-08-19, 18:31:
eyalk4567 wrote on 2022-08-18, 07:36:
Show full quote

from experience, not all drives that have the analog audio connector actually produce audio from said connection. That or I have several broken drives that read/write fine but audio is a no no

You can find the manual of the drive and look if it does support it. I searched for a lot of manuals and found that a lot of drives don't have a working digital audio out but do have analog audio out.

Reply 16 of 18, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
informatyk wrote on 2023-03-04, 11:25:

Where I can find drivers for Windows 98SE DVD support? CD works without problem but when I try put DVD in the same drive it's not recognized by Windows.

The problem might be related to incomplete UDF support, maybe.
For ordinary CD-ROMs, ISO9660 +Joliet was used back then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//