VOGONS

First post, by Hydra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

*EDIT*
Raptor: Call of the Shadows seems to be locking up right after the intro, or if you skip intro, when going to the main menu. Sound FX & Music all play just fine. Don't know what's wrong with it either. Just the other day I couldn't even get it to run with SB as the SFX card, and now I'm getting great sound FX. I just can't play the game now.

Here's the error report:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@W - 19:35:21.621 - DMATransferManager
Unable to further boost DMA processing rate, lower bound already met (lower bound = 1ms, last period = 1.98ms, current period = 1.52ms

@W - 19:35:21.633 - SBController
HandleTransfer: DMA updates too infrequent (unable to keep up with desired transfer rate), requesting boost
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the poll rate pushed all the way down to 1/60th ms. Do I have to make the DMA poll rate even shorter than 1/60th?

Last edited by Hydra on 2003-01-28, 14:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Running XP?
Have you applied "Update 1"?
Using the GUI Launchpad for VDMSound?

If "yes" applies to all of the above, the GUI Launchpad will cause the game to lock due to Raptor having an apparent issue with fixPOPF.

The are two workarounds. One is to use the "Run with VDMS" option that does not have a musical note (this starts up the command-line version of VDMSound using it's defaults).

The other is to use a "Brute Force" workaround that allows you to use the GUI, although it will usually incur an additional performance hit.

On your game's .VLP shortcut (created by the GUI the first time it's run), get it's properties, click "Advanced", go to the "Troubleshooting" tab, "check" the "Custom Configuration" box and paste the following into the open text area:
[VDMServicesProvider.config]
fixPOPF = 1

Now, having said all this; It should not be locking up at the points you describe if it's a sound issue (lockup is normally at the first sound). Try setting audio to MIDI only, start it up and let the demo run.

If all else fails, there's always the Windows version.

Reply 2 of 9, by Hydra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1) Oops, accidently left that part out. I'm running Windows2000Pro.
2) Is "Update 1" an XP update or is it VDMS Update?
3) Yes, I'm using the GUI for configuring the shortcut.

Sorry, I'm typing this at school so I don't have immediate access to the shortcut. I'll do that when I get home tonight.

About the sound part. ALL Sound FX (Including Music) Play just fine DURING the introduction (you said it's usualy the first sound). It's freezing and the Music also freezes on the last note it was playing and continues till the process is terminated.

Reply 4 of 9, by Unregistered

User metadata

Wellll, none of that realy worked (Also realized I already had Update 1 installed). MIDI plays just fine on either card. Sound FX DO play on the Adlib, but it dosen't play all of the sounds, or they're extreemly poor quality.

Also, it was playing the sound FX AND music throughout the entire intro (not including the Cygnus logo, it skipped that for some reason).

I don't see how the windows version would affect it that much though. Dune2 runs perfectly like on my old 486... completely flawless, in sound effects AND music, I think the music for Dune2 wasn't MIDI either.

(whoopsie, forgot to log in!!)

Reply 5 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can somebody else with Win2K confirm proper operation of Raptor (DOS version)? It runs in XP for me (with the previously mentioned fixPOPF issue), but it's not very smooth.

I'm wondering if this needs Cli2Nop for Win2K...