VOGONS

Reply 20 of 34, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-08-22, 22:33:

I like the rocker myself

In the end I went for the first option, I'll leave the other button inside for the future.
I have no idea how to use this case. Maybe I'll post the inside for some ideas.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 21 of 34, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tower with PSU.
Motherboard space looks like there's not much more than a baby at.

Attachments

Reply 22 of 34, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back

Attachments

Reply 23 of 34, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Other Tower case, looks like there is more room for a bigger motherboard.

Attachments

Reply 24 of 34, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pt 2

Attachments

Reply 25 of 34, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nexxen wrote on 2022-08-25, 14:06:

No, it definitely has space for a full-size AT board. Baby AT has one less row of standoff holes, ending up just above the keyboard connector.

Reply 26 of 34, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheMobRules wrote on 2022-08-25, 16:18:
Nexxen wrote on 2022-08-25, 14:06:

No, it definitely has space for a full-size AT board. Baby AT has one less row of standoff holes, ending up just above the keyboard connector.

If I'm right, as I have not much experience with these, you use plastic standoffs and have a few others for screws?
I have a big dual socket 8, I'll check if it goes inside.

I don't have a spare PSU, only one as the type isn't the usual desktop kind.

Reply 27 of 34, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nexxen wrote on 2022-08-25, 16:44:

If I'm right, as I have not much experience with these, you use plastic standoffs and have a few others for screws?

Correct, you use regular metal standoffs on the small threaded holes and plastic standoffs (like the ones mentioned in this post) for the rest.

Reply 28 of 34, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have this case, looks perfect for test and quick access to swap parts.
I retrobrighted it too (pics in next post 😀). It shows signs of yellow coming back though.

Attachments

Last edited by Nexxen on 2023-08-14, 12:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 29 of 34, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I need to buy double-sided plastic standoffs (or spacers) as the holes are too large to accomodate brass ones.
I looked for header on the bottom and threaded on top, but I could only find double-headed. In the pics of the post above you can see 2 still installed, but I need quite a few more to mount big motherboards.

I'd like to see your solution if you have this same case.

Attachments

• BottomB.jpg
    Filename
    BottomB.jpg
    File size
    179.06 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • insideB.jpg
    Filename
    insideB.jpg
    File size
    225.39 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • FrontB.jpg
    Filename
    FrontB.jpg
    File size
    174.75 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 30 of 34, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nexxen wrote on 2023-08-14, 11:57:

I need to buy double-sided plastic standoffs (or spacers) as the holes are too large to accomodate brass ones.
I looked for header on the bottom and threaded on top, but I could only find double-headed. In the pics of the post above you can see 2 still installed, but I need quite a few more to mount big motherboards.

There's plenty of different standoff styles other than screw-in (sprung base, push-thru, self-adhesive etc) which should be more than adequate - have a look at Richco brand at RS-Online...

https://it.rs-online.com/web/b/richco/control … hBrandPage=true

Reply 31 of 34, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2023-08-14, 12:49:

There's plenty of different standoff styles other than screw-in (sprung base, push-thru, self-adhesive etc) which should be more than adequate - have a look at Richco brand at RS-Online...

I already found many but none satisfy my brass lust.
I was thinking some serious DIY but it takes time and isn't worth it. Double-headed spacers are probably the best option. Cutting one head off and place a threaded brass socket (like in laptops) by pushing it in while hot.
As you can see, it takes time and I'll end up with the easiest option. Laziness is king!

As many many other users here did stuff, a more interesting idea may have come around already... If I'm thinking of doing one, most probably 10 others did it years ago. Today it's like this 😉

Reply 32 of 34, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nexxen wrote on 2023-08-14, 13:06:
I already found many but none satisfy my brass lust. I was thinking some serious DIY but it takes time and isn't worth it. Doubl […]
Show full quote

I was thinking some serious DIY but it takes time and isn't worth it. Double-headed spacers are probably the best option. Cutting one head off and place a threaded brass socket (like in laptops) by pushing it in while hot.
As you can see, it takes time and I'll end up with the easiest option. Laziness is king!

As many many other users here did stuff, a more interesting idea may have come around already... If I'm thinking of doing one, most probably 10 others did it years ago. Today it's like this 😉

In that case just use brass nuts, bolts & washers - feed the (flat / pan head) bolt from below; first nut secures to case floor; subsequent nuts / washer to desired standoff height & last nut secures remaining bolt thread to motherboard

Reply 33 of 34, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2023-08-14, 13:21:
Nexxen wrote on 2023-08-14, 13:06:
I already found many but none satisfy my brass lust. I was thinking some serious DIY but it takes time and isn't worth it. Doubl […]
Show full quote

In that case just use brass nuts, bolts & washers - feed the (flat / pan head) bolt from below; first nut secures to case floor; subsequent nuts / washer to desired standoff height & last nut secures remaining bolt thread to motherboard

And now I'm struggling to go your way as it looks better than white plastic 😀
Guess I got what I deserve.

Reply 34 of 34, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the end I just got some spare standoffs from another user I met and I'll stick to those for the time being.

Project is to buy bolts and spacers, I'm not giving up yet as brass has its own beauty 😀