VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

(I'm trying to get an answer from gigabyte, but I'd like to know if anyone has had this issue and how to solve it)

Some years ago I replaced my main computer and the specs were:
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 1200.
- Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3.
- RAM: 16Gb DDR4 @ 2666 MHz.
- GPU: Nvidia 1050Ti.

Not a high-end computer, but it runs games fine. It's getting old so I bought what I intended to be a mid-life enhacement... a new AMD Ryzen 5 5500. Gigabyte says that this CPU is compatible after upgrading the board to BIOS version F52g. The board is running that version (and it should have the same version loaded as back-up BIOS... but how can I verify that?).

The thing is that the computer refuses to boot with the new CPU. It has four diagnosis leds (Boot, CPU, VGA, DRAM) that (according to the manual) signals that a component is failing. With the Ryzen 5, it goes CPU > DRAM > Boot (pauses for a second) > CPU > DRAM... and gets stuck with DRAM led light, no VGA output, no beeps.

After reinstalling the Ryzen 3, the sequence is CPU > DRAM > Boot > CPU > DRAM > Boot and the OS starts.

That suggests that there is a problem with my RAM, but it runs fine with the Ryzen 3. Also, it passed Memtest tests. Can anybody give me some clue or advice?

Thanks.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 1 of 18, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Zup wrote on 2022-07-07, 04:53:
(I'm trying to get an answer from gigabyte, but I'd like to know if anyone has had this issue and how to solve it) […]
Show full quote

(I'm trying to get an answer from gigabyte, but I'd like to know if anyone has had this issue and how to solve it)

Some years ago I replaced my main computer and the specs were:
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 1200.
- Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3.
- RAM: 16Gb DDR4 @ 2666 MHz.
- GPU: Nvidia 1050Ti.

Not a high-end computer, but it runs games fine. It's getting old so I bought what I intended to be a mid-life enhacement... a new AMD Ryzen 5 5500. Gigabyte says that this CPU is compatible after upgrading the board to BIOS version F52g. The board is running that version (and it should have the same version loaded as back-up BIOS... but how can I verify that?).

The thing is that the computer refuses to boot with the new CPU. It has four diagnosis leds (Boot, CPU, VGA, DRAM) that (according to the manual) signals that a component is failing. With the Ryzen 5, it goes CPU > DRAM > Boot (pauses for a second) > CPU > DRAM... and gets stuck with DRAM led light, no VGA output, no beeps.

After reinstalling the Ryzen 3, the sequence is CPU > DRAM > Boot > CPU > DRAM > Boot and the OS starts.

That suggests that there is a problem with my RAM, but it runs fine with the Ryzen 3. Also, it passed Memtest tests. Can anybody give me some clue or advice?

Thanks.

Possibly a continuing issue with the 5000 series beyond T52d - despite the final edit para, maybe try the rollback to T52d anyway

https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabyte/comments/tj … uccess_running/

Reply 2 of 18, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's another reddit post undermining that assumption:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GAAB350/comments/vpu … 3_bios/iempw3m/

Try bios F52d instead of F52g

💾 Windows 9x resources (drivers, tools, NUSB,...) 💾

Reply 3 of 18, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm getting very confused because of AMD...

PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-07-07, 07:04:

Possibly a continuing issue with the 5000 series beyond T52d - despite the final edit para, maybe try the rollback to T52d anyway

I've also seen some comments about that, but I thought that it was not my case (see below). Gigabyte says that a F52 BIOS is required to run Ryzen 5500, but I don't know if T52 is the same thing.

1541 wrote on 2022-07-07, 12:52:

There's another reddit post undermining that assumption:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GAAB350/comments/vpu … 3_bios/iempw3m/

Try bios F52d instead of F52g

Is that a typo? On gigabyte web the latest BIOS are F51b, T52d, F52e and F52g.

AMD documentation is being very confusing. On some sites says that Ryzen 5 5000 CPUs are codenamed "Vermeer" and APUs are codenamed "Cezanne", but if you look into AMD website they says that Ryzen 5 5500 is a "Cezanne" processor.

Also, it seems that AGESA version says what CPUs are supported on a mainboard... but AMD don't release a changelog. Also, I've learned that AGESA 1.2.0.5 was some kind of fiasco (BTW, the AGESA versions included on my BIOS are 1.2.0.3B, 1.2.0.5 and 1.2.0.7).

I've seen some reports of people running "Cezanne" processors in AGESA 1.2.0.3 (although they're officially unsupported), so I will wait for gigabyte to enlight me and then try T52b.

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 5 of 18, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 5500 is a Ryzen APU without the IGP, thus the Cezanne codename.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 7 of 18, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've tried every 52 BIOS. It seems that my board is not compatible with that CPU.

The results:
- T52d: It goes CPU > DRAM and gets stuck.
- F52e: It only lights the CPU led.
- F52g: It goes CPU > DRAM > Boot > CPU > DRAM... and gets stuck.

So, in the end, it seems that CPU supported list for my board is a bunch of lies. I'd like to get a Ryzen 5 45o0, but I really wonder if it would work or will be another waste of time...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 8 of 18, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Zup wrote on 2022-07-12, 15:00:
I've tried every 52 BIOS. It seems that my board is not compatible with that CPU. […]
Show full quote

I've tried every 52 BIOS. It seems that my board is not compatible with that CPU.

The results:
- T52d: It goes CPU > DRAM and gets stuck.
- F52e: It only lights the CPU led.
- F52g: It goes CPU > DRAM > Boot > CPU > DRAM... and gets stuck.

So, in the end, it seems that CPU supported list for my board is a bunch of lies. I'd like to get a Ryzen 5 45o0, but I really wonder if it would work or will be another waste of time...

likely a waste of time, stick to the 3000 series for your board, they should all work with no messing around, assuming you still have the latest BIOS update installed. (The 4500 might work but its likely to be the same hit and miss as the 5000 CPU you bought)

The 5000 series were never designed to run on the 300 series boards and it was only due to pressure from crazy customers that AMD let the FABs decide which boards got updates to allow them to run but as you have found out even with the BIOS updates some boards still cannot run the 5000 series CPUs.

Reply 9 of 18, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, going back to gigabyte CPU support list...
- T52d states that it adds support for Vermeer / Renoir CPUs.
- F52g states that it adds support for Vermeer (again!) / Cezanne CPUs.
- All Cezanne CPUs are marked as working since F52 BIOS (no suffix).
- Vermeer and Renoir CPUs are marked proper BIOS versions (either T52d or F52 with suffix).

Also Gigabyte sent me a mail that said:

To support AMD Vermeer and Renoir processor, please used the special bios T52d on website.

Our disty bios F52g we don’t officially support Vermeer on AB350 motherboard.

(AGAIN: BIOS list says that F52g adds Vermeer CPU support)

So, I'm going to return that Ryzen 5 5500. My options are:
- Buy a Ryzen 5 4500 (cheaper, Zen 2 architecture, should work in T52d).
- Buy a Ryzen 5 3600 (more expensive, older architecture, maybe faster than 4500, fully supported since 2019).

Any advice?

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 10 of 18, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It seems to be Cezanne specific.
If we believe this new thread https://www.reddit.com/r/GAAB350/comments/vtm … ssue_with_5500/
the 5500 or 5600G Cezanne) refuse to boot, whereas the 5600 (Vermeer) is said to run fine.

Reply 11 of 18, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, so I've returned that 5500 and got a Ryzen 5 3600 instead. It runs fine, so this will be (probably) the last update for that computer. The next step (in another 4 o 5 years) would be buying a new computer... if PC parts prices drop to a reasonable level.

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 12 of 18, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Gigabyte replaced F52g with F52h although the description text did not change.
There's speculation about fixing the Ryzen 5000 APUs:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GAAB350/comments/ww0 … omment/iliygpc/

Reply 17 of 18, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

now let's start the upgrade feaver:

new fast intel, old cheap 1700 mobo, old cheap dd4 (you can find cheap ddr5 too now though)
vs
new slow ryzen, new expensive mobo, new expensive ddr5

oh, there's a third option here: Re: Bruninho's Virtual Machines (Windows, Linux, Mac)

choose wisely 😉

Reply 18 of 18, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

amd long lasting cpu support is useless if you can upgrade mobo easily
and don't forget not only cpu doesn't have to work even if it suits
i have a new gpu that no longer works in old amd system...