User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
libby wrote on 2022-08-15, 05:08:
I'm not. […]
Show full quote
Meatball wrote on 2022-08-06, 13:33:

I think the advocates wanting a buy/sell section are living in fantasy land. Everyone here is a Boy Scout only wanting to sell to a fellow enthusiast at heartwarming prices.

I'm not.

I have an inventory around 5% of the size of Computer Reset (I have roughly 1400 square feet filled) and would be glad to sell off a chunk of it.

The issue is organizing, shipping and inventory control. It's a pain to sort through hundreds of milk crates and boxes filled with random stuff, testing everything, marking it and putting it away. I do it bit by bit here and there when I have free time, but more items continue to come in. Sourcing and accumulating is far more fun to me than selling is.

Once in a while I hire someone local who's interested in doing manual labor in exchange for hardware, but there's not many such folks in my area.

I guess Im moving to Canada, glad Canada is still a Commonwealth country makes moving there pretty damn simple !!

Thought . .Im wondering if its worth swapping Snakes, Spiders, Crocodiles and Sharks for Bears and Moose I hear Canadian Geese are also a tad ornery.

Reply 681 of 1005, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hamilton is Southern Ontario, which has a modest amount of snakes and spiders to help you feel at home. Only the massasauga and black widow will kill you though. Then in the lakes you only have to worry about muskelunge and snapping turtles https://www.news18.com/news/buzz/us-woman-att … ck-2756049.html

Animal most likely to kill you is deer, kamikaze attack, either by sheer inertial impact, causing you to drive into a tree or oncoming traffic, or going through the middle/offside of the screen then kicking you to death in a panic. Though coyotes are getting bold lately and the wolves aren't exactly harmless. Black bear are mostly more northern, but have been wandering down from time to time. There's reports of grizzlies making inroads in the top of the province, but not where you can drive to by road, near arctic. Moose pose same dangers as deer on the road, and can charge, crush you against a tree or stomp you to death if threatened... do not try to ride the swamp donkey. Cougars don't kill many people in Ontario compared to BC, but are around.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 682 of 1005, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-08-15, 17:57:

Hamilton is Southern Ontario, which has a modest amount of snakes and spiders to help you feel at home. Only the massasauga and black widow will kill you though. Then in the lakes you only have to worry about muskelunge and snapping turtles https://www.news18.com/news/buzz/us-woman-att … ck-2756049.html

Animal most likely to kill you is deer, kamikaze attack, either by sheer inertial impact, causing you to drive into a tree or oncoming traffic, or going through the middle/offside of the screen then kicking you to death in a panic. Though coyotes are getting bold lately and the wolves aren't exactly harmless. Black bear are mostly more northern, but have been wandering down from time to time. There's reports of grizzlies making inroads in the top of the province, but not where you can drive to by road, near arctic. Moose pose same dangers as deer on the road, and can charge, crush you against a tree or stomp you to death if threatened... do not try to ride the swamp donkey. Cougars don't kill many people in Ontario compared to BC, but are around.

What if I wanted to get lost in the wilds on occasion? (I actually enjoy camping and hiking)

Looking at Google maps Ontario seems like the perfect place to do that, as for feeling at home.. Im sure the locals will help with that 😁

Reply 683 of 1005, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Basic safety goes a long way, walk loud so everything can avoid you in time, have your food in a bear barrel and hoist it between trees overnight, and have a big stick handy. Anything toothy comes along, look big and make scary noises.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 684 of 1005, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-08-15, 18:12:

Basic safety goes a long way, walk loud so everything can avoid you in time, have your food in a bear barrel and hoist it between trees overnight, and have a big stick handy. Anything toothy comes along, look big and make scary noises.

What was teh saying I hear, if its black fight back, if its brown lay down, if its a grizzly pray to god.

Reply 685 of 1005, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote on 2022-07-30, 05:05:

I looked further and noticed that it only has one PCIe slot, which I think must have limited its usefulness. Were there other AM2 AGP boards with one PCIe x16 and one or two PCIe x1 or x4 slots?

There's only the AM2NF3-VSTA which has no PCIe at all. That one usually sells for 50€+.
But there's also the 939Dual-SATA2, which has PCIe x16 + PCIe x1 and can be upgraded to AM2 via an expansion board.

$220: https://www.ebay.com/itm/295129019351
$195: https://www.ebay.com/itm/125342593224
150€: https://www.ebay.com/itm/255555447225
90€: https://www.ebay.com/itm/154996711364

Interestingly one was auctioned off for 25,50€ not long ago:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/304571192442
Someone got a bargain there.

But all these were without the expansion board.
That will probably also cost 3 digits.

Meanwhile another AliveDual-eSATA2 got auctioned off for 126€:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/354152907098
Those late AGP boards are getting really expensive.

Reply 686 of 1005, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Amazing that people are paying in the $200's for these late Asrock AGP boards. I remember buying two 939Dual-SATA2 boards for $25 each within the last 5 years. I currently still use this system with the AM2 upgrade board. It is on 24/7. For anyone using the expansion boards, I strongly recommend recapping them. The first AM2 board I got (NOS), I replaced all but 4 caps because I didn't have those caps in my bin. After 6 months of running it, those 4 non-replaced caps bulged really bad and I think this killed the card because replacing these caps post-mortem didn't fix it. I only got another AM2 card recently after trading some hardware. While the board touts DDR2-800, I've found that I can only get DDR2-667 stable with 8 GB installed. Has anyone experienced stable DDR2-800 w/8GB on this board? The board really flies with an Adaptec PCIe x8 RAID card installed using SSD's.

I'm not too surprised that case with the Asrock sold for 25€. It is normally a good idea to part out a system for a higher return.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 687 of 1005, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote on 2022-08-20, 22:36:

Amazing that people are paying in the $200's for these late Asrock AGP boards. I remember buying two 939Dual-SATA2 boards for $25 each within the last 5 years. I currently still use this system with the AM2 upgrade board. It is on 24/7. For anyone using the expansion boards, I strongly recommend recapping them. The first AM2 board I got (NOS), I replaced all but 4 caps because I didn't have those caps in my bin. After 6 months of running it, those 4 non-replaced caps bulged really bad and I think this killed the card because replacing these caps post-mortem didn't fix it. I only got another AM2 card recently after trading some hardware. While the board touts DDR2-800, I've found that I can only get DDR2-667 stable with 8 GB installed. Has anyone experienced stable DDR2-800 w/8GB on this board? The board really flies with an Adaptec PCIe x8 RAID card installed using SSD's.

I'm not too surprised that case with the Asrock sold for 25€. It is normally a good idea to part out a system for a higher return.

Not amazing but rather very limited stock left that is still in working condition, as you have experienced the caps on these boards are not the best. I personally have a few of the 775 versions but didn't have the AMD 939 one, yup it was expensive but for a one off item thats already hard to get its fine and even though its had its VRM recapped ill be looking at replacing the other caps too.

One day I will see the upgrade board rear its head on eBay and if Im super lucky it wont cost an arm, leg and two fingers.

I did manage to get another rare ticket item recently which is fitting for this thread

s-l1600 (1).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (1).jpg
File size
277.79 KiB
Views
File comment
Seller Photo
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

A NOS Pentium II Overdrive for 250 USD, they are normally at 600 USD but this seller has 9 of these NOS boxes left so I figure they somehow got a box of them from some warehouse. I'm left wondering if they support SMP on socket 8 and if its worth having a spare one in case I ever get my hands on a dual socket 8 board, its not like these come up very often on the bay and even less common as a NOS item.

Reply 688 of 1005, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember there being quite a few of these boxed PIIOD on eBay a year or two ago. There were some new, without box, PIIOD's going for about $100 each 3 yeras ago.

The PIIOD certainly supports SMP on a socket 8. I have this configuration setup.

Reply 689 of 1005, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote on 2022-08-21, 01:10:

I remember there being quite a few of these boxed PIIOD on eBay a year or two ago. There were some new, without box, PIIOD's going for about $100 each 3 yeras ago.

The PIIOD certainly supports SMP on a socket 8. I have this configuration setup.

First NOS ones I have seen at a not ridiculous price, have seen two oob new ones for 600 USD so perhaps supply dried up recently with all the gold scrappers recycling these high gold CPUs.

Reply 690 of 1005, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

While the board touts DDR2-800, I've found that I can only get DDR2-667 stable with 8 GB installed. Has anyone experienced stable DDR2-800 w/8GB on this board?

Why do you want to use it with 8GB installed?
32bit OS are restricted to 3.5GB of RAM.

The board really flies with an Adaptec PCIe x8 RAID card installed using SSD's.

That's what I'm planing to do with the PCIe slot of my AliveDual.
GeForce FX 5950 combined with a 4GHz quadcore, 4GB DDR2-1200 and SATA 6GB/s SSDs.
Some VOGONS members would consider this an abomination. 😁

Yeah, but when a system contains a desirable piece, it will usually sell at least for the value of that specific piece. You won't get a system with a Voodoo5 5500 for 200 bucks.

TrashPanda wrote on 2022-08-20, 23:11:

Not amazing but rather very limited stock left that is still in working condition, as you have experienced the caps on these boards are not the best.

Yeah, as I said those boards were low budget. So ASRock did cut costs by soldering cheap caps on them. Ironically the fact that those boards still have an AGP slot, half a decade after other manufacturers dropped support for AGP, makes them high end for retro enthusiasts who don't care about period accuracy.
Many people who did use these boards back in the day are not aware of this. Doesn't work anymore, so to the recycling yard it goes. 🙁

One day I will see the upgrade board rear its head on eBay and if Im super lucky it wont cost an arm, leg and two fingers.

I'm sure it won't cost an arm, a leg and two fingers.
Probably two kidneys instead. 😜

Reply 691 of 1005, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-08-23, 10:30:
Why do you want to use it with 8GB installed? 32bit OS are restricted to 3.5GB of RAM. […]
Show full quote

While the board touts DDR2-800, I've found that I can only get DDR2-667 stable with 8 GB installed. Has anyone experienced stable DDR2-800 w/8GB on this board?

The board really flies with an Adaptec PCIe x8 RAID card installed using SSD's.

That's what I'm planing to do with the PCIe slot of my AliveDual.
GeForce FX 5950 combined with a 4GHz quadcore, 4GB DDR2-1200 and SATA 6GB/s SSDs.
Some VOGONS members would consider this an abomination. 😁

Yeah, but when a system contains a desirable piece, it will usually sell at least for the value of that specific piece. You won't get a system with a Voodoo5 5500 for 200 bucks.

Not amazing but rather very limited stock left that is still in working condition, as you have experienced the caps on these boards are not the best.

Yeah, as I said those boards were low budget. So ASRock did cut costs by soldering cheap caps on them. Ironically the fact that those boards still have an AGP slot, half a decade after other manufacturers dropped support for AGP, makes them high end for retro enthusiasts who don't care about period accuracy.
Many people who did use these boards back in the day are not aware of this. Doesn't work anymore, so to the recycling yard it goes. 🙁

I'm sure it won't cost an arm, a leg and two fingers.
Probably two kidneys instead. 😜

Oof .. I mean . .I have one spare I dont need to live, you sure they wont take a Kidney and a leg ?

How about a lung ? I have tow of them I can spare the other.

Reply 692 of 1005, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-08-23, 10:51:

Oof .. I mean . .I have one spare I dont need to live, you sure they wont take a Kidney and a leg ?

Do you have a wife/fiancee? 😁

Kidney + lung might work.

Or just get an AliveDual-eSATA2. 😜
Or AM2NF3-VSTA if you don't care about a PCIe slot and SATA controller cards.

Reply 693 of 1005, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-08-23, 12:55:
Do you have a wife/fiancee? :D […]
Show full quote

Do you have a wife/fiancee? 😁

Kidney + lung might work.

Or just get an AliveDual-eSATA2. 😜
Or AM2NF3-VSTA if you don't care about a PCIe slot and SATA controller cards.

Why you do dis >...

I already have too many motherboards ...but ...fineeeeee Ill make a saved search on eBay for one cause an AM2 version would be nice.

Saying that I did just buy a Abit NF7 and NF7-S, both with CPUs, 2gig of ram and recapped with Rubycons ...why the different versions? because the non sata version weirdly overclocks better than the sata 150 board does and the seller offered me both at a 60% discount.

Besides itll be nice to have another legendary board in the collection 😁

Reply 694 of 1005, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-08-23, 13:09:

Why you do dis >...

I already have too many motherboards ...but ...fineeeeee Ill make a saved search on eBay for one cause an AM2 version would be nice.

I'm doing this, because these two boards are much easier to find than the upgrade cards.
If you really want an AM2 board with AGP slot, grab em while you still can. They're getting ridiculous expensive, but you can still find them for a good price every now and then, cuz people don't know what they have.

Hirsch and I managed to snatch up three AliveDual within half a year.
My AliveDual did cost 60€ and came with a Athlon 64 X2 6000+, broken RAM (got a 10€ refund, so only paid 50€), PCIe Radeon 4350 and a 80PLUS PSU.
Hirschs boards did cost 50€ and 20€. The one for 20€ has a broken reset button, but Hirsch might be able to fix that.
Hirsch also has two or three AM2NF3-VSTA which did cost around 20€ each.

By the way:
The AM2NF3-VSTA with latest BIOS doesn't know the Phenom X4 980 but will still post.
AliveDual doesn't post with a 980 inserted. Hirsch is currently working on a BIOS mod to make the 980 work on AliveDual.

Reply 695 of 1005, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-08-23, 10:30:

I'm not sure where the idea emerged that I am using a 32-bit OS with my system. I'm using a modern 64-bit Linux installation with modern internet. 3.5 GB might be usable with very light browsing and swap files, but I prefer 8 GB.

Reply 696 of 1005, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some links someone posted elsewhere,

New, boxed Evergreen socket 3 upgrade with AMD Am5x86-133, $91
https://www.ebay.com/itm/374219238726

Evergreen_Am5x856-133_interposer.png
Filename
Evergreen_Am5x856-133_interposer.png
File size
349.9 KiB
Views
File license

Chaintech 486SOM, a socket 3 w/1024K, coin cell battery, and easy PS/2 mod potential, $202
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165635589934

Chaintech_486SOM.png
Filename
Chaintech_486SOM.png
File size
482.84 KiB
Views
File license

I figured both would go for more, thus I suspect prices are starting to slip some for those items not so hotly lusted over.

A few others I thought might sell for more, but didn't.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/155109729117
https://www.ebay.com/itm/155039241955

Reply 698 of 1005, by libby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote on 2022-08-25, 20:22:

I'm not sure where the idea emerged that I am using a 32-bit OS with my system. I'm using a modern 64-bit Linux installation with modern internet. 3.5 GB might be usable with very light browsing and swap files, but I prefer 8 GB.

I had a poweredge 6400 which was a quad P3 Xeon with 8GB of RAM in it once. Windows 2000/2003 server and linux can support PAE in 32-bit installs. In the server's case you could also run the memory redundantly, essentially mirroring 4GB of memory in the second 4GB akin to RAID 1, so if a DIMM failed on you there would be no crash or data loss.

Reply 699 of 1005, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
libby wrote on 2022-09-05, 19:32:
feipoa wrote on 2022-08-25, 20:22:

I had a poweredge 6400 which was a quad P3 Xeon with 8GB of RAM in it once. Windows 2000/2003 server and linux can support PAE in 32-bit installs. In the server's case you could also run the memory redundantly, essentially mirroring 4GB of memory in the second 4GB akin to RAID 1, so if a DIMM failed on you there would be no crash or data loss.

Using the same computer with my 32-bit XP SP3 hard drive and PAE, I also cannot use more than 3.x GB. I think the best approach would be to use 64-bit XP, but more than 3 GB on XP, is it really needed?