VOGONS

First post, by rojovision

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some back story:
Last year I picked up a used "Voodoo5 5500" on eBay. I'd never owned a Voodoo card before, so I figured I'd see what the best had to offer. I put the card in a P3 system, played a few games, and didn't think much about it until earlier this year. I wanted to use it for an upcoming playthrough for my YouTube channel, but my P3 system had some issues so I very recently built an Athlon XP Win98 system and put the card in that.

However, during the build I noticed the card reported as a "Voodoo5 5000" on the startup BIOS screen. Since I'm not the original owner and have nothing to compare it to, I don't know if someone flashed a weird BIOS to the card or if this is totally normal factory default behavior. I also noticed that the card has a universal AGP connector, which exists for the 5500 model as I understand it, though it's not as common as the 2X connector.

Since I'm in no way an expert on anything Voodoo related, I took a few pictures and direct screen captures in the hope that someone might be able to help me figure out if the card is actually a 5000, just a 5500, or something else. The video output is a little noisy, which you may be able to notice in the 3DFX Info image. I'm using the latest non beta reference driver downloaded from Phil's site.

The reason I'm questioning what I'm seeing is because the 5000 model was never released for sale as far as I know.

Attachments

Rojovision on YouTube
The Neverchive on YouTube

Reply 3 of 8, by rojovision

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
voodoo5_6k wrote on 2022-09-02, 06:55:

It most certainly looks like it is. The board layout fits, and there's still a part of the "NOT FOR RESALE" sticker on the back. Seems you were very lucky with that purchase 😀

kixs wrote on 2022-09-02, 06:57:

Voodoo 5 5000 is what you have. It's a 5500 with 32MB of memory, that was to be 5000. It was never released for sale.

I appreciate the quick responses! That is certainly very interesting.

I have a couple more questions. Are there any big known compatibility issues, or should it just function as a Voodoo 5500 with half the RAM (presumably 16MB per chip)? Are there any special drivers out there to try or should I just stick with the 5500 reference ones?

Rojovision on YouTube

Reply 4 of 8, by sdz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Damn, that's a nice to have card. The RAM might be SGRAM instead of the usual SDRAM (didn't check the partnumber, but usually SGRAM ICs are packaged like that).

Edit: the boot screen also says SGRAM.

Reply 5 of 8, by rojovision

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sdz wrote on 2022-09-02, 10:08:

Damn, that's a nice to have card. The RAM might be SGRAM instead of the usual SDRAM (didn't check the partnumber, but usually SGRAM ICs are packaged like that).

Edit: the boot screen also says SGRAM.

I hadn't heard of SGRAM until seeing it on that screen, but from some brief research it makes sense that it exists considering we've had GDDR chips for ages. It sounds like it might potentially be a little more performant than SDRAM, though I'm not sure how much of an effect that might have on actual gameplay. I wish I had a normal 5500 to test the 5000 against, but they've doubled to tripled in price on the used market since I bought the card I have so that's a project that will have to wait awhile.

Rojovision on YouTube

Reply 6 of 8, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Congrats, V5 5000 is great! 😀

It should work (and perform) very much the same like regular 5500 except in games that requires more video memory. The regular driver should do fine.
SGRAM (if it works the same way like on Vooodoo3) might give you 1-2% more fps.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 8 of 8, by rojovision

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
havli wrote on 2022-09-02, 14:09:

Congrats, V5 5000 is great! 😀

It should work (and perform) very much the same like regular 5500 except in games that requires more video memory. The regular driver should do fine.
SGRAM (if it works the same way like on Vooodoo3) might give you 1-2% more fps.

Glad to hear it. It's worked so far on the games I've tried, both Glide and otherwise so that was the answer I was expecting / hoping for. I'm glad I know about the memory situation, though - I initially just assumed it was only reporting 32MB because it was only looking at one chip.

Rojovision on YouTube